Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't want to do this but I may have to sell my '14 981S. Meanwhile, I've seen the new Alpha Romeo Giulia Quadrafoglio and this car is a beast. If the stats are to be believed, this car has basically a 6 cylinder Ferrari engine with 505HP, 0 - 60 at 3.8 and 1/4 mile at 11.8 and 132. Awesome numbers especially when the car reportedly weighs ~3800 lbs.

But Alpha Romeo/Fiat has a checkered past with regard to build quality. I don't want to get flamed for asking about an Alpha Romeo here but I'm just curious what opinions others may have.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I think Alfa is bringing some interesting products to market (the 4c would be awesome with a manual gearbox), but there are questions around reliability as well as the strength of the dealer network. In a major North American urban centre such as LA, New York, Chicago or Miami, where there might be more than one shop to get parts and service, ownership might be manageable. In my city of 1.3 million, the nearest parts depot and service centre is 600 miles away.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I just owned one car that was in very limited supply, and I'l never do so again. If something out of the ordinary needs replacement, it will likely take weeks before the part reaches the supplier. Maybe the supply chain is more efficient now, but my experience was horrific. OTH hand if this car is not a DD, then it's no big deal.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be looking at the AR dealer in Scottsdale AZ. Many upscale car dealers around this area which leads me to believe Alpha Romeo would have to scale up service and parts to be competitive. Anyways, reviews look great and I'll take a longer look at this car next year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's a different car. Definitely a neat car, but it's not one I'd personally buy since my 981 is my daily.

If your 981 is your weekend car, then I would also tell you to look at the Alfa 4C-- it's got a small motor but sounds oh-so good in person and the steering is allegedly even better than the Cayman.

Re the Quadrifoglio, I would probably go for a C63 AMG and just mod it instead.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Personally I doubt I'd consider this car for some of the reasons you mention BUT if you are in love with the idea of this car and can afford some of the potential downside(s) then you should get it if it makes you happy. You could regret not buying it as much or more as buyer's remorse afterward. Does sound like a beast. It can also be very nice having something different even in this less crowded market. Take a test drive and let us know what you think then!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I know, I owned a Fiat x19 in late '70s.
If you want something unique, you'll have a winner with this car. The car that I alluded to earlier was a Triumph GT6. The car only had about 95 HP but since its curb weight was less than 2000 lbs, it had decent acceleration. I would have kept that car a lot longer if parts weren't such a challenge. All the routine maintenance items were stocked in the US, but when you required something unusual like a side vet window or battery tray, it took several weeks before the part was at the dealership. Again, that was a long time ago and maybe things are a lot better now with very low volume foreign cars.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to a local dealer in MA for a test drive. They had just 1 Quad and it was on the showroom floor so they wouldn't allow a test drive. Understandable with just one available and with possibly so many people wanting to flog it. But I didn't want to leave without hearing this thing. The battery was dead but they did charge it and finally cranked it up. Normal mode had a mellow exhaust note but the Race mode is totally different with a much louder Ferrari growl.

When I get back to AZ, I'll try to get a test drive and report back here for those interested.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I find these intriquing, too. It is a dfferent car than Boxster/Cayman. I was thinking about it for the heck of it to replace our A3. I saw a good comparo to the new M3/4 (think it was Everyday Driver). It did very well with these guys overall. Repair record to be watched as others noted.

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I too am intrigued by it, but probably never buy one, besides spotty reliability and parts issues, the price us dropping since they aren't selling, so resale value would be terrible. Too bad, looks like a great sport sedan, what the 3 series used to be. Their content is quite good also, many things standard that porsche charges $$$$ for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.