Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a track day this weekend, I started getting a puttering sound under acceleration on the driver's side. I'm thinking it's an exhaust leak of some sort. It sounds like a single cylinder, as opposed to multi-cylinder post-cat. No CEL/warning messages. Initial inspection from the wheel well isn't showing anything abnormal like a post-cat break at a weld. I put the heat shields on, so really can't see the coils, but I would expect a loose plug would burn through the coil and CEL.

A Porsche tech at the track indicated it could be a crack in an exhaust manifold weld or the manifold gasket. Another guy had a catastrophic failure of a weld this weekend that melted a couple of coils. The tech indicated that exhaust manifold/gasket failures are somewhat common on 981's that are tracked. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Ledbette,

A few years ago, a tech found that I was missing a header bolt during an oil change - I never had the headers worked on or removed - the bolt just came off on its own.

I doubt this is your issue - but worth checking. However, I never heard anything different at the time.

Ed

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the header gaskets this weekend and it didn't fix my problem. I'm still hunting for the source.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI - Here's the noise from go pro hero mounted in the wheel well (looking sideways). I'm still fairly convinced this is an exhaust leak and not some other engine issue, but if anyone thinks otherwise, please chime in.

I inspected the exhaust manifold the best I could without fully removing it. No cracks at the pipes coming from the block and no cracks from the cat backward to the muffler. The mufflers look good as well. Replacing the gaskets didn't help and the old ones looked fine. I can't see where the pipes join in front of the cat because of the heat shield surrounding it, so I suspect that's where my leak is.

I've also had an occasional O2 sensor fault P115B - "Exhaust gas implausible, bank 2", which may or may not be not be related. It could be a bad sensor, or could be this leak is causing a bad reading. The fault is very intermittent - I've had it only a couple times in the past couple months, and this is my daily driver.

I couldn't access everything I needed to get the manifold out when I had it up on the QuickJack last weekend, so I will try again in a couple weeks when I have some spare time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WIth this leak, my Boxster sounds like an old VW bus.

·
Registered
858 Posts
WIth this leak, my Boxster sounds like an old VW bus.
My 2 cents worth is that it sounds like an exhaust leak to me too. Is it leaking out from around the sensor? If you put a mixture of water and dish soap around the sensor does it blow bubbles?

I’m no exhaust expert, sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts