Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History:
My '07 CS was repaired/rebuilt (chassis removed, body repaired, car re-assembled) after a minor accident 6 months ago which damaged the rear of the passenger-side door and rear quarter panel. The repairs were perfect except the steering wheel was slightly off-center. No pulling, no vibrations, just off-center. I took it back to the repair shop and they re-centered the wheel to my complete satisfaction.... or so I thought.

Problem:
Ever since the re-centering of the steering wheel, it seems to have more 'play' in it than before. When driving straight down a smooth, level, highway, I can 'wiggle' the steering wheel back and forth with no effect on the front wheels. While a small amount of 'play' is normal for every other car I've driven (this is my first real sports car), it doesn't seem normal for a Porsche. Like I said, I don't remember it being this loose before the re-centering.

Question:
Is it possible to have loose steering ? I don't know how the steering mechanisms and linkages work so forgive me if this question sounds stupid to those who understand Porsche mechanics:rolleyes:
If so, what might the problem be ? I need to take the car in for an oil change soon and would like to have them take a look at it.

TIA:)

·
On Probation
582 Posts
show the dealer what you mean by a road test...they will tell you if its the nut behind the wheel

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
show the dealer what you mean by a road test...they will tell you if its the nut behind the wheel
I would doubt it is the steering wheel itself because when the car is turned off, the steering wheel is as stiff as can be.
I guess I should have titled the post "Loose Steering" not "Loose Steering Wheel". Oops.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
"they will tell you if its the nut behind the wheel".....very funny. I for one....maybe the only one so far....sure enjoyed it.
i could get big money in vegas

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
"Telepathic" steering response is the norm for a Porsche. I'd presume that something is wrong with your car, and recommend you have its steering system and wheel alignment checked thoroughly. I'd also ask to drive another P-car, so you'll have a good basis for comparison. Just my $0.02 worth...please let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The most common method of straightening a steering wheel involves adjusting the tie-rods. The tie rods each have a jam nut that must be loosened before the rod can be adjusted. It is possible to forget to re-tighten these jam nuts. This could cause the symptom you describe and should be checked out soon. A good shop or dealer can diagnose it fairly easily. I would also have them take a good look at the replaced RR suspension.

·
Registered
662 Posts
When you say the steering wheel goes back and forth could the clamp underneath the steering column be disengaged? This will allow the steering wheel to shift back and forth, normally allowing you to find a comfortable distance to use it while the car is not in motion. Check the clamp mechanism maybe this will solve your problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.