Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Adaptive Cruise Control but I would like to know if it is possible to selectively make if function like a regular cruise control, i.e. turn off the adaptive part and stick to a particular speed regardless of what the car in front is doing?

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why in the world would you want to do that when you have ACC. I find ACC to be totally awesome. I am doubtful it can be turned off, liability issues for Porsche is someone got confused!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Idk, but today I was driving to the beach and it felt good to control my speed up and down manually. The joystick felt perfect between my fingers and the acc distance control lever would have been wierd.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why in the world would you want to do that when you have ACC.....
I live in a country where the driving standards on the main road through the country are pretty low, with cars travelling very close together and there is very poor lane discipline over the 8 lanes. It is common therefore to pass relatively closely to the cars in front and have cars travelling the same speed as you pull into small spaces. Even when set to the shortest distance, it would be good to not have the car suddenly brake when I try to pass a car at a "reasonable" distance, or when a car pulls in in front of me.

I have regular cruise control on my car and on this road it behaves better than ACC so I just wanted to know if it was possible for the ACC to behave like regular CC.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe it's ACC or no Cruise Control at all. You probably already know to disarm it you push the end of the stalk and the icon disappears on the MFD.

I like using the ACC a lot on two-lane highways, but it has a couple of issues. If the road is very twisty & hilly it sometimes sees the sudden road change or an obstacle and decelerates or if the car in front of you disappears over the hill or around the corner it causes subsequent acceleration and deceleration. One other thing I don't like is that when someone pulls into a turn lane and decelerates next to you the ACC sometimes waits for the car to complete the turn before accelerating again.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Not possible AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
What happens if they provide that functionality? Someone will get confused whether they are in normal or ACC mode and rear end someone and Porsche will get blamed via lawsuit. So I assume either for that or for some regulation based on that scenario, it is ACC all the time that cruise control is turned on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it's ACC or no Cruise Control at all. You probably already know to disarm it you push the end of the stalk and the icon disappears on the MFD.

I like using the ACC a lot on two-lane highways, but it has a couple of issues. If the road is very twisty & hilly it sometimes sees the sudden road change or an obstacle and decelerates or if the car in front of you disappears over the hill or around the corner it causes subsequent acceleration and deceleration. One other thing I don't like is that when someone pulls into a turn lane and decelerates next to you the ACC sometimes waits for the car to complete the turn before accelerating again.
Yes, I too have found lots of examples where ACC gets a bit confused, particularly on multi-lane roads with cars passing closely to each other. I was just hoping that I could just have regular CC when I wanted it. Never mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts