Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post even although I've read through these forums for some time.

I previously owned a brand new CS which I sold back in Jan 2008 due to moving up to a bigger house. I now drive a Merc C220 CDI Sport which in itself is a great car and ticks a lot of boxes for us but lacks a bit of something special like the CS as I'm sure you'll all understand (including a really decent owner's website like this one!).

I've never been able to escape the yearning to get back into a Cayman/Boxster and I'm currently looking at potentially buying a 2005 Boxster S as the used Caymans aren't quite low enough on price for me to consider one yet.

However. I have a few concerns:

1. My CS on 19" wheels (without PASM) developed all sorts of rattles in the winter due to the bumpy farm road I live along. This has since been relaid in places and isn't quite as bad, but how would a Boxster on 18" and possibly even 17" wheels compare? And how do the 2 cars compare in driving terms?
  2. My wife and I are planning to start a family within the next year and I would be sacrificing my current car which is great for regular motorway cruises up to parents' house and everything else, instead for a very small family hatchback (e.g. Fiat 500 which the wife wants) as car no.2. This would relegate the Boxster to commuting and occasional fun. Anyone done something similar? Any regrets?
  3. With the family plan in mind, I am wary of stepping into a car which could bring with it big bills in the future. I have always bought new/nearly new and again would be swapping current car (with 2 years of warranty left) for something I worry would be more risky. Just wondering what people's average experiences are with cars of this age?
Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,

I can only comment on the Gen2 car's.

In terms of the drive, they are very similar for me. On paper the cars are different but in terms of daily drive capabilities, 9.5/10 drivers would not know the difference between the two cars. The Boxster holds it own.

In terms of comfort factor, 18inch wheels on the standard setup will be much better than 19s and would be my preferred choice.

Cheers,
Carl.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This is a call you need to make with your significant other. Are you both in or is one out? A car can always be purchased in the future. I wouldn't sacrifice a significant family experience for a car.

Best wishes on your choice.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
This is a call you need to make with your significant other. Are you both in or is one out? A car can always be purchased in the future. I wouldn't sacrifice a significant family experience for a car.

Best wishes on your choice.
I agree with this comment. Seems to me the timing isn't quite right for you. Too much change all at once can be unsettling. I don't have enough experience with these cars to answer your original question. FWIW waited 24 years between new Porsches as children all went to college. It was worth the wait as new Cayman is fabulous and wife and kids very happy for me.:cheers:

·
Registered
157 Posts
A Boxter and a Fiat 500 with a young family does not compute. I wouldn't want to go any distance in the 500 and with all of the baby paraphernalia that you will have to lug around I'd reckon it may be the wrong choice. If you could keep the big car and get a sporty second car then yes, but I think you are going to need the space.
Will a push chair etc go in a 500 ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the all input.

I think you've all made some good points. It stresses to me more than anything that I need to decide about what I really want and what's best for us in the future. And only I/we can work that one out!

Thanks again, I will post if I do end up going for it!

Quigeroni

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.