Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am relatively new here, but my first post (about a front splitter) had great feedback from members here - so thank you very much.

I would like to ask your opinions on the mods that I would like to do.

For reference my car is Slate grey and already has a Carnewal exhaust which sounds great. I haven't taken a photo of it yet but there is a photo for reference.

Firstly I want to add side vents by Zunsport. I'm not sure which version yet but feedback would be appreciated.

Next, some simple decals - if you recommend any places for them that would be great. (autodesign shop seems to look the best to me)

I would like to replace the rear headlights to these - Dedicated to your Porsche needs
I have seen people knock the smoked look - is that just personal preference? - also, I asked who the manufacturer was and it's JTEC

Finally, I am looking at getting a Splitter - I have been pointed out to some really nice options on prior post so thank you:
I am looking at Dedicated to your Porsche needs and also Joe Toth's masterpieces

I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback! - and other suggested mods are welcome :)

Kind regards,

Atkinse

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
You seem to be looking for cosmetic mods. The LED tail lights will really give a modern botox shot. I've got 718 style lights in my 987.2 and I love them. Mine are from Sonar who are also based out of Taiwan like JTEC.

I'm not sure if you have "enhanced grills" on the front. If not, I'd suggest you add some with a similar pattern structure to the Zunsport grills you are looking at not just for looks but for protection.

·
Registered
396 Posts
+1 on front radiator grilles. Get something that matches the grilles you choose for the sides for consistency. You'd be surprised how much debris gets packed up against the radiators, hindering cooling and becoming a fire hazard.

I'm personally not a huge fan of slapping mesh inserts over the stock grilles. I'd look for entire vent replacement options that are fully mesh. But these get a lot more costly and it's your car, do it the way you want.

Are you asking for a place to cut/print install decals, or just to source them? Vinyl is cheap. If you're not scared to DIY it, buy a huge roll of vinyl for less than $100 (plenty of extra for testing and mistakes), then have at it. Only consider 3M or Avery vinyl, most other brands are hard to work with and less forgiving. Also have a look around Facebook or Instagram for shops. There's a lot of guys with extensive experience in wraps who could help you out. Just do a little research to make sure they're work is quality and you trust them with your car.

Smoked taillights are "dangerous" because when poorly done, they can hinder light output and mask the only reflective surfaces on the back of the car. This can make the car harder to see at night (especially parked curbside) and also make it harder to see if you are braking. You'll find that smoked lights and smoking kits are sold "for offroad use only" due to liability issues. If you have smoked lights and you get rear ended, you could actually be found at fault for failing to have proper braking indicators.

That being said, the red tailights can be a little intense looking on a grey car. A light smoking, to a burnt cherry color, could look great. Again, modify the car how you want. But me personally, I think smoked lights are an outdated fad from the late naughties and red just looks better on the back end of a car. I have the red/clear Jtec lights and I like them.

Seems like your primary focus is cosmetics. Wheels can completely transform the appearance and improve performance. Depending on which suspension you might, lowering it might improve the looks and will definitely help in the handling department. Do some research of the common problems on the 987.1, you might want to get some parts to prevent oiling issues if you plan to drive this car hard. Also the shifter cables, if your car is manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You seem to be looking for cosmetic mods. The LED tail lights will really give a modern botox shot. I've got 718 style lights in my 987.2 and I love them. Mine are from Sonar who are also based out of Taiwan like JTEC.

I'm not sure if you have "enhanced grills" on the front. If not, I'd suggest you add some with a similar pattern structure to the Zunsport grills you are looking at not just for looks but for protection.
I have black steel vents on the front - so I've just ordered the black ones to go with it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on front radiator grilles. Get something that matches the grilles you choose for the sides for consistency. You'd be surprised how much debris gets packed up against the radiators, hindering cooling and becoming a fire hazard.

I'm personally not a huge fan of slapping mesh inserts over the stock grilles. I'd look for entire vent replacement options that are fully mesh. But these get a lot more costly and it's your car, do it the way you want.

Are you asking for a place to cut/print install decals, or just to source them? Vinyl is cheap. If you're not scared to DIY it, buy a huge roll of vinyl for less than $100 (plenty of extra for testing and mistakes), then have at it. Only consider 3M or Avery vinyl, most other brands are hard to work with and less forgiving. Also have a look around Facebook or Instagram for shops. There's a lot of guys with extensive experience in wraps who could help you out. Just do a little research to make sure they're work is quality and you trust them with your car.

Smoked taillights are "dangerous" because when poorly done, they can hinder light output and mask the only reflective surfaces on the back of the car. This can make the car harder to see at night (especially parked curbside) and also make it harder to see if you are braking. You'll find that smoked lights and smoking kits are sold "for offroad use only" due to liability issues. If you have smoked lights and you get rear ended, you could actually be found at fault for failing to have proper braking indicators.

That being said, the red tailights can be a little intense looking on a grey car. A light smoking, to a burnt cherry color, could look great. Again, modify the car how you want. But me personally, I think smoked lights are an outdated fad from the late naughties and red just looks better on the back end of a car. I have the red/clear Jtec lights and I like them.

Seems like your primary focus is cosmetics. Wheels can completely transform the appearance and improve performance. Depending on which suspension you might, lowering it might improve the looks and will definitely help in the handling department. Do some research of the common problems on the 987.1, you might want to get some parts to prevent oiling issues if you plan to drive this car hard. Also the shifter cables, if your car is manual.
I am going to try to apply the vinyl myself, but I need the templated already cut such as the one I sourced. I am 50/50 on getting these taillights - from research, they are legal however I do see your points.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

I am now looking at short shifters. I'm between Numeric and the Porsche OEM one - opinions on both?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys,

I am now looking at short shifters. I'm between Numeric and the Porsche OEM one - opinions on both?
I can't speak for OEM but can for Numeric as I have both the shifter and cables installed. I can't speak highly enough about them. Just be prepared to spend a lot on labor if you opt for the cables as they take several hours to install. Yes, when you upgrade to a short shift kit (any brand) it is highly recommended that you upgrade the stock cables that can fail regardless of mileage. They are a definite weak point of our cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is that you in the video? I have watched all your videos when doing research - they were v.helpful :)
That's not me. It's someone who appreciates the Numeric setup as much as me.

Bear in mind, without having driven a car with the Porsche OEM short kit, I'd venture to guess that that kit is a bit more refined and subdued. The Numeric makes mechanical noises when shifting. It's raw. It may not be for those who want an ultra smooth shifting action. The motion of the Numeric has been described as "bolt action". I'd agree with this description. IMO, this shifter would be awesome in the new 992 GT3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts