Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in the Prescott area April 3-4. Starting to look for a nice area to potentially move to when I make the decision to call it quits. If anyone has any input about the area or actually lives there I like to hear from you.

TIA
Bill

·
Registered
832 Posts
Prescott is a beautiful little town and if you like four seasons you will love it. I'm down in Sun City west which has two seasons, nice and HOT. lol Another thing great about Prescott is you have many more curvy roads than we do down here where everything seems to be strait as an arrow. One last thing about living in AZ is that if you buy a used car, as I did, from a private party you pay no tax. Yep, you read that right. I save well over $5K on the deal. ;)

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prescott is a beautiful little town and if you like four seasons you will love it. I'm down in Sun City west which has two seasons, nice and HOT. lol Another thing great about Prescott is you have many more curvy roads than we do down here where everything seems to be strait as an arrow. One last thing about living in AZ is that if you buy a used car, as I did, from a private party you pay no tax. Yep, you read that right. I save well over $5K on the deal. ;)
I live in NorCal so get three seasons. I'm not much for the snow (originally from the northeast) but I've read that they only get a few inches a year so that's livable. I have a friend in Lake Havasu but that looks so desolate and HOT 10 months a year. I plan to stop on my way for a day or two. I've been through these areas before but it's been 30+ years.

You still live in California too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll be in the Prescott area April 3-4. Starting to look for a nice area to potentially move to when I make the decision to call it quits. If anyone has any input about the area or actually lives there I like to hear from you.

TIA
Bill
I live in Prescott, though I haven't been here very long. It's a great area, traffic gets a bit heavy now and then. We have an informal sports car club that meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month, 9am, at Panera Bread on Hwy 69, out towards Prescott Valley. It includes all types of cars, but most are Porsches. Group events are scheduled now and then, next one is a drive from Prescott to Payson for lunch on March 25. More info from Donny, [email protected].

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Prescott, though I haven't been here very long. It's a great area, traffic gets a bit heavy now and then. We have an informal sports car club that meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month, 9am, at Panera Bread on Hwy 69, out towards Prescott Valley. It includes all types of cars, but most are Porsches. Group events are scheduled now and then, next one is a drive from Prescott to Payson for lunch on March 25. More info from Donny, [email protected].
Must be a lot of retired folks there if they can meet on a week day morning twice a month :). That drive looks like a nice one for next Saturday.

Not sure which car I'll keep when I retire...the practical or impractical. Is there a good indy Porsche shop in the area? Hope you don't have to go to Phoenix for repairs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I live in Prescott. A great area. Just the right size. There is an excellent Porsche shop, DeYoung European Motors. There is a move afoot to start a Northern AZ PCA chapter. Currently, AZ is served by the Phoenix and Tucson chapters. The Porsche people are a friendly group. No pretense - just love of the cars. I'm a relatively recent convert to Porsche and I have felt very welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How's the drive from Prescott up 89A to Flagstaff? What condition is the road in?

I'll be leaving Prescott early Wednesday morning on 4/5. It would be nice to meet up at Panera's but I think that would cut too much time out of my schedule in Sedona/Flagstaff before having to be in Bakersfield later that evening.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I am just curious, what is the attraction to Prescott, given the enormous number of cities in the southern US why here?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am just curious, what is the attraction to Prescott, given the enormous number of cities in the southern US why here?
Hey Al,
Nothing particularly drew me to it. I have a long time friend that lives in Lake Havasu. I don't like that area but it might be nice to be somewhat close. Also it's still close to Calif. where I have other friends scattered about. It's different and the scenery is beautiful. Weather is still pleasant like NorCal most of the year. NM and TX don't interest me nor does the Southeast. Also not into big cities.

I'm just starting to look around. It will be a couple more years before I seriously consider moving if I do at all. A lot depends on my desire to continue working. I like where I am now but the costs may be a little too high when the time comes. I have no ties so can move anywhere. Retirement is all about planning.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Hey Al,
Nothing particularly drew me to it. I have a long time friend that lives in Lake Havasu. I don't like that area but it might be nice to be somewhat close. Also it's still close to Calif. where I have other friends scattered about. It's different and the scenery is beautiful. Weather is still pleasant like NorCal most of the year. NM and TX don't interest me nor does the Southeast. Also not into big cities.

I'm just starting to look around. It will be a couple more years before I seriously consider moving if I do at all. A lot depends on my desire to continue working. I like where I am now but the costs may be a little too high when the time comes. I have no ties so can move anywhere. Retirement is all about planning.
OK, I thought it might be something like the 'reasonable' cost of housing and the like, it was just interesting to see this thread pop up when 2 days ago another US friend of mine mentioned Prescott as well for retirement. I may soon have a reason to visit there! :)

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I thought it might be something like the 'reasonable' cost of housing and the like, it was just interesting to see this thread pop up when 2 days ago another US friend of mine mentioned Prescott as well for retirement. I may soon have a reason to visit there! :)
Well yes, cost of living is another reason yet there are still even less expensive areas around it. All depends on how much you are willing to compromise. Compared to NorCal and VI it's reasonable as you say.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone want to meet up for dinner either Monday or Tuesday next week? Tuesday I plan to go to Papa's Italian restaurant to get their Osso Buco (veal) raviolis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts