Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Power Outlet in Center Console

11K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  eddielasvegas 
#1 ·
The contacts in the cigarette lighter socket are configured differently than those on the side of the passenger. My service rep said that using a regular plug (unlike the plugs with Porsche's battery tickler charger ... as seen in the picture from Amazon .... http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Dual-...keywords=porsche+trickle+charger&tag=rnwff-20 ... can cause the fuse to blow.

Does anyone know of an adapter or and extension cord plug with this type of end?

#3 ·
I expect the concern is that an incompatible plug could potentially short the positive and negative terminals in the socket. A separate fuse in the plug would not prevent that.

#4 ·
My Porsche service rep pointed out the socket in outlet in the console has two metal bands at right angles and that a non-protected plug can blow the fuse whereas the prortected plug like in the Porsche battery tickler does not. The socket in the passenger compartment does not have the two bands and so no problem

#5 ·
Search is your friend. There are 2 types of 12V power plugs: (1) those for use in a cigarette lighter outlet or in a 12V socket, and (2) those for use only in a 12V socket. As I posted in 2012:

The cigarette lighter socket is physically different than the other 12V sockets. The cig socket has 2 bi-metal prongs that hold the end of the cig lighter when the lighter is activated (pushed in to make contact). When activated, the heating coil's (like an electric stove) heat causes the prongs to bend enough to release the spring loaded lighter.

The other sockets don't have the prongs. Using the cig socket for other devices with plugs not designed for such a socket may (1) spread the prongs so they no longer hold the cig lighter, or (2) short against the prongs blowing the fuse. Some plugs are designed to work in a cig socket, others are not.

Grab a flashlight and look into the sockets and you'll quickly see the difference.

That said, I always use the cig socket for my battery maintainer without any issues and regularly use a USB plug in converter in that same socket.

#6 ·
I too have had no problems plugging the battery maintainer into the socket between the seats. But this raises a question that I don't recall has yet been addressed . . .

When we spec'ed our cars, we had the choice of "smoking package" at no cost or no smoking package. Those of us who opted for the latter still got a socket located in the compartment between the seats. Is that supposedly nonsmoking socket like the smoking socket the rest of you have, OR is it identical to the socket in the passenger footwell?

#11 ·
Ah--so technically those of us without the smoking package could have the problem, but it keeps sounding like most of us have had no issues plugging a variety of things (particularly battery tenders) into the "cigarette lighter" socket. Can anyone make sense of this?

#13 ·
Hi, Eddie. Remember me? For a time, you were considering buying my 987 base model. Now we're both driving 981s!
So advancing technology means I now have to worry about what I plug into the cig lighter and which cig lighter I use? Man, I long for the old days where there was only one kind of cig lighter and whatever would fit, would work. :)
Eddie
Indeed--and for the days when there was a dipstick, a spare tire, far less electron stuff to break, lighter weights, smaller exterior dimensions . . . ah we're just growing old . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.