Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

PPI for Porsche dealer car

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  PistolPete 
#1 ·
New here, and VERY close to pulling the trigger on a pre-owned Cayman S.

I'd like to get a Pre Purchase Inspection performed, but both of the cars I'm looking at are at Porsche dealers. It doesn't seem to make sense to have the inspection done there.

If I was buying from an individual or independent dealer, it would be easy to just find the local Porsche dealer. How to I find someone qualified to perform a PPI on a car at a Porsche dealer??

Thanks for your time!

Kevin

#2 ·
A lot of independent shops that work on Porsches are probably capable of performing an inspection, though they may not have a PIWIS computer, or Durametric, capable of interrogating the DME (e.g. for over-revs, etc.).

You might tell your salesman that you would like to obtain a PPI from a neutral shop, and see what they suggest. Are they not offering the car with a CPO warranty?

#3 ·
I have not begun discussions yet. I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I start.

I would plan on getting the DME report from the dealer.

The car is not CPO, but I was assuming that was because it is a 2007 and has quite a bit of native warranty left.

Kevin

#5 ·
Well it depends when the car was delivered. My warranty is up in Nov. not many months from now. If the CPO makes you sleep better then maybe you should get it. For me since I don't put many miles on mine, I am going to roll the dice and self insure.

#4 ·
I would strongly encourage get the CPO with the car....I think it helps build relationship with dealer and gets Porsche on the hook to take car of it....I had previously owned a 2007CS with 23K on it....traded it for another one at 33K...got more than my money's worth over those 10K....miles....and yikes it goes to 100K miles...for me an important element of comfort and protection...remember an inspection by someelse....even if they are wonderful...if some problem shows up in 5K miles...you may be on your own....worse yet after the initial warranty shows up...just my advice

#6 ·
I would also encourage you to try and work the cost of a CPO certification into the purchase price of the car. Depending on when the car was put into "service", you currently have a little over a year of warranty left.

I was at a recent tech session at a local Porsche dealership here and I was told that the CPO warranty has been improved recently and now pretty much replicates the coverage you would get with a new car.

You may also want to check in the regional forums to see what type of reputation the service department has with current owners. That will factor into the decision as well.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.