Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
This is a practice Wiki topic so that members can become familiar with how a Wiki style topic works and differs from other "normal" topics. Please feel free to edit this topic to add your own testing to see how it works. Enjoy!
I'm guessing "edit this post" is the right way to do it......I think LG might have got it right.:dance:If I have this right it is indeed very easy and a great new feature. I assume K-Man S - the good looking guy :eek:in the RY Cayman - will decide what thread gets this feature and of course do the editing to keep it all positive and to the point. Lets see does it work for me .......Nice Ken and :thanks:.A Q Ken. What does the roll back option do? Tried it and I did not see my edit for any specific time disappear (roll back) as I assumed.

I don't know if rollback works for non-admins or those without the ability to start Wiki topics as opposed to those who can edit them. I just did a roll back and your stuff disappeared LG, then I rolled forward and brought your stuff back so that seems to work as it should for me. (Must use advanced editor to roll forward/back).

Right now there are 2 permissions done by usergroup
1) Ability to start wiki topics - currently restricted to admins, moderators, sponsors and members of Insiders group
2) Ability to edit wiki topics - basically everyone who can log into the site (visitors cannot edit)

Currently you fall into the 2nd group, but I'm also considering starting a new group just for Wiki Admins, or possibly expanding the start topic capability to more groups, but I didn't want to grant that to the population at large so as to avoid people accidentally creating wiki topics when they didn't intend to and then the admins/moderators having to clean up the mess.

make sense?
As an edit herein - makes sense and understand. Maybe solicit members for a few Wiki 981 :dance:topics which you can pick from to kick this off. For example something like "981 Grills - Why, Vehicle Locations, How To Install and from Whom". Of course I know there are various threads out there re this topic - but an concise Wiki (edited) might be the go to place for such. LG is just really not sure what areas or potential uses you see for a Wiki thread.

WELL I SEE I Did not read next thread. My bad. Move on.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next question we need to answer about these new Wiki topics is how to organize them. Some thoughts that come to mind are:

1) Have a separate forum just for wiki topics (covering all makes/models)
2) A sub forum in each section so a 981 Wiki subforum in 981 section a 987 Wiki in the 987 section etc
3) Allow Wiki topics to be posted in any forum

Here are my thoughts on how to organize the Wikis.

First, we'd have a Wiki forum, call it Model Wiki or Porsche Wiki, whatever, that has a Wiki topic for each model. So there is a Boxster Wiki, a Cayman Wiki, a Cayenne wiki, etc. These would in essence become replacements for the similar section on Caymans in the FAQ but have one for each model. Just like what you'd find on Wikipedia, all the sub models and variants represented in a chart in the wiki, all the colors, options, etc. represented as well.

Second we'd have DIY Wikis in the DIY section, (assuming we'd set up new forum for DIY Wikis), these would contain say an Oil Change Wiki and in that oil change wiki there would be sections for various models, here is the oil change on a 987, a 987.1 or a 981 or even a main oil change section and then following sections of the wiki that have nuances specific to different models. Likewise an exhaust removal, door panel removel, etc. wikis that people would add to or edit over time. If procedures were vastly different you could have say a 987 door panel removal wiki and a 981 door panel removal wiki if they truly share very little in common. The engine cover removal might be a good candidate here to have separate wikis for if there isn't enough overlap, of if it really isn't a lot of extra information then combine them into a single engine cover removal wiki and simply have sections for each model. It would be easy enough to combine or separate wiki sections as different topics in a master wiki thread I think.

Third, I would think we could have Wikis that live in certain forums because that's where they are most relevant. For example, a wiki topic on Tips and Tricks for buying a new Porsche (same for used too) would most likely belong in the Sales and Leasing forum. What about all those leasing questions? Bam combine them into a Leasing a Porsche Wiki and have that in the sales and leasing forum as well. If we truly had a lot of these non-model and non-dyi wikis I suppose we could set up a third forum for Misc Wiki and put them all there, but again that's something that could develop over time.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Suppose you want information about what 987 batteries are sold and how to install them.

Then there should be, as an example, a Wiki under the electronics sections of the 987 containing both the information of which batteries fit and examples (DIY) of how to physically remove and install the new battery. It would be more difficult to first search for which battery to buy and then search another wiki to find installations directions.

I would keep all the information about batteries in the same place based upon model number (e..g, 986, 987, 981)

Similarly, if people have information about stereo installs or hardwiring radar detectors, it goes in the same wiki.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suppose you want information about what 987 batteries are sold and how to install them.

Then there should be, as an example, a Wiki under the electronics sections of the 987 containing both the information of which batteries fit and examples (DIY) of how to physically remove and install the new battery. It would be more difficult to first search for which battery to buy and then search another wiki to find installations directions.

I would keep all the information about batteries in the same place based upon model number (e..g, 986, 987, 981)

Similarly, if people have information about stereo installs or hardwiring radar detectors, it goes in the same wiki.

I only meant buying/selling/leasing Wiki to pertain to CARS, not to the stereos or other items, I would expect where to buy a stereo to be part of the stereo wiki in electronics that also showed how to install, etc. much like articles do today.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
The next question we need to answer about these new Wiki topics is how to organize them. Some thoughts that come to mind are:

1) Have a separate forum just for wiki topics (covering all makes/models)
2) A sub forum in each section so a 981 Wiki subforum in 981 section a 987 Wiki in the 987 section etc
3) Allow Wiki topics to be posted in any forum

Here are my thoughts on how to organize the Wikis.

First, we'd have a Wiki forum, call it Model Wiki or Porsche Wiki, whatever, that has a Wiki topic for each model. So there is a Boxster Wiki, a Cayman Wiki, a Cayenne wiki, etc. These would in essence become replacements for the similar section on Caymans in the FAQ but have one for each model. Just like what you'd find on Wikipedia, all the sub models and variants represented in a chart in the wiki, all the colors, options, etc. represented as well.

Second we'd have DIY Wikis in the DIY section, (assuming we'd set up new forum for DIY Wikis), these would contain say an Oil Change Wiki and in that oil change wiki there would be sections for various models, here is the oil change on a 987, a 987.1 or a 981 or even a main oil change section and then following sections of the wiki that have nuances specific to different models. Likewise an exhaust removal, door panel removel, etc. wikis that people would add to or edit over time. If procedures were vastly different you could have say a 987 door panel removal wiki and a 981 door panel removal wiki if they truly share very little in common. The engine cover removal might be a good candidate here to have separate wikis for if there isn't enough overlap, of if it really isn't a lot of extra information then combine them into a single engine cover removal wiki and simply have sections for each model. It would be easy enough to combine or separate wiki sections as different topics in a master wiki thread I think.

Third, I would think we could have Wikis that live in certain forums because that's where they are most relevant. For example, a wiki topic on Tips and Tricks for buying a new Porsche (same for used too) would most likely belong in the Sales and Leasing forum. What about all those leasing questions? Bam combine them into a Leasing a Porsche Wiki and have that in the sales and leasing forum as well. If we truly had a lot of these non-model and non-dyi wikis I suppose we could set up a third forum for Misc Wiki and put them all there, but again that's something that could develop over time.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I like approach #2, with then some major subs as in DIY, Buying/Leasing, Inde Driven Mods, etc??? and then as Chow4us indicated have within these 2nd level subs key (??) 3rd level topics. For example - Level 1 "981 Boxster (w Cayman??)" Wiki then with "DIY Items" as Level 2 have then "Oil change" as level 3. My :2cents:.

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts