Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after years of coveting and lusting I purchased a pre-owned 07 Cayman S in near mint condition for 36K. (took a paint meter to check for painted panels and it had none, also clean car fax.) It had the following:

25000 miles,
meteor grey
sand interior
Cayman sport 18's
manual
chrono package
dual heated and power seats
short shifter
Bose
Xenon

Ok, so now for the question: I bought from Hendrick Porsche in NC and felt great until I read a post from a member here that said that if a Porsche is on a Porsche dealer's lot not Pre-Owned Certified that should be a red flag. Any cause for concern? Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it may be an issue of the dealer trying to hit the right price point? Sounds reasonable. The car had sat for 90 days on the lot and was originally priced at 42,500 then marked down to 39k. In hindsight I guess I started to question why it sat that long in such great condition in the first place.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I've wondered about why dealers make some cars CPO and not others - I suspect that most of the time, it is an economic decision based on the market, and the condition of the car. If the car already has decent tires and brakes left (2 items they might have to replace to bring it up to CPO spec), and still has a fair amount of time/miles on the original warranty, then they may choose to sell it without the CPO (and the added $2-3K on the sticker). I'm pretty sure they would still sell you some sort of extended warranty, if you wanted it (though maybe not the CPO warranty).

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
We had a PCA tech session at a local dealership recently and I was able to look at the CPO checklist. It is very extensive and once a car is certified, it essentially duplicates a new car warranty for the time covered. Up until about 18 months ago, the CPO didn't cover as much as a new car warranty, but that was changed.

I would agree with KS-CS that whether or not a car gets the CPO treatment depends on a number of money related factors (isn't everything money related anyway? But that's another topic) for that specific dealership at that moment in time.

I've talked with two GM's at local dealerships with opposing views on CPO'ed cars. One couldn't be bothered and wanted the cars off the lots ASAP to concentrate on new orders. The other has embraced the CPO program and has a sales person devoted exclusively to searching for good deals at other Porsche dealers around the country who can then horse trade allocations with them.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
We had a PCA tech session at a local dealership recently and I was able to look at the CPO checklist. It is very extensive and once a car is certified, it essentially duplicates a new car warranty for the time covered. Up until about 18 months ago, the CPO didn't cover as much as a new car warranty, but that was changed.
If I understand the program, if you buy a 2 year old car that is still under factory warranty, the CPO could end up being a 6 year 100k warranty.

Even assuming that it is not as good as the original factory warranty, buying a 2 year old CPO and keeping it for 3 or four years might be a very good option.

I'd love to run those numbers.

A 2010 Gen II loaded PDK...CPO after a 24 month lease in 2012...could be my next car. Same colors so wife will never notice. (See related thread.LOL.)

Pre-owned Search - North America - Porsche Cars North America Inc.

Wow. Look at the options on this one.

Also, a search for CPO cars indicates that there are still NEW 2008 cars out there that had their warranty cards punched...and now have to be CPO. Cars with 15 miles on the clock.

Someone is going to get an AMAZING deal on one of these cars. :eek:

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
665 Posts
If I understand the program, if you buy a 2 year old car that is still under factory warranty, the CPO could end up being a 6 year 100k warranty.

Someone is going to get an AMAZING deal on one of these cars. :eek:
Dave, a few weeks back I stopped at Newport Porsche to buy an aluminum oil drain plug seal and they had a beautiful '09 GT-3 with less than 2K miles on it and the price was just a few grand less than a new one (+/- $120 something..?) I asked a salesperson and his reply was: "Yes it costs almost as much as a new one, but This One, comes with a 100K mile warranty"

According to the salesman the owner didn't care loosing money on the '09 and went for a '2010 model... however, could just be a sales trick...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.