Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.... After some price lowering (a few grand) and still dependant on my trade-in, i'm being offered a 2006 CS w/CPO warranty (2 years I guess), 33K miles, $38000.

Seems high to me... Those cars are on Carmax all day for 34$K, but this one is certified, which counts for something....

I'm only thinking about it IF the trade in on my car is excellent (well, compared to carmax anyway) and if they'll throw in the latch anchors install for the seat (not the baby seat, just the anchors installed)...

Opinions ? I bet you say too high !!! You guys always do ;-)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think we will need a little more info before we confirm the fact that it is priced too high ;)

What options does it have on it?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we will need a little more info before we confirm the fact that it is priced too high ;)

What options does it have on it?
Fair enough... Sorry, I did not think options made any difference after 4 years....

I have no idea unfortunately, the dealer description describes nothing... I'm gonna go see it in person today but to be honest I'm not in love with blue/grey.... I think the dark blue hides the body shape too much.

I may hold out for the color I want, with or without CPO...

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Fair enough... Sorry, I did not think options made any difference after 4 years....

I have no idea unfortunately, the dealer description describes nothing...
It is pretty easy to bump the original price of a "basic" Cayman S up by $5-10K with the right choice of options - I think that could be enough to make at least a couple of thousand difference even 4 years later; plus, the Porsche CPO is probably worth $2-3K.

Good luck with your hunt . . .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Deschodt,

I highly doubt that the dealer will offer a higher trade in value than Carmax. Unless of course you are trading in another Porsche. My local dealer low balled me on my fully loaded 05 350Z Anniversary Ed. because they were using comparables with 05 350Z base and enthusiast models. I took my car to Carmax and they appraised it on the spot for $2k more so I took their offer. I was an easy and painless process. They even drove me to the car rental place so I could rent a car to get home.

Best of luck with your transactions.:cheers:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Ok NOW what do you think? ;-)

I saw it in person... It's definitely a 2006, bumper has seen rocks, lower lip needs repainting in silver (chipped everywhere), the tow hook cap is falling off, suggesting that either it's seen the track a lot or been towed a lot ;-)

It's prettier in person, because the damn Caymans are just such sexy cars, but still would prefer grey or white honestly... Miles a little on the high side vs. Non CPO offers, too.... I think it's 2K too high at $38700 for a CPO car... Maybe I'm wrong... Didn't I hear about people buying new 08 CS in the low 40s last year on this very board ?

And you are right, trade in will be ugly probably... Right now I'm leaning towards sitting on my GTI some more and waiting for a better car... But I'm all ears !

Worst case I'll go sulk and drive this one some more....

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Well, it looks like it has close to $5K options - but it does seem a little high for an '06 with that mileage. It sounds like you really aren't sold on it anyway. You could always make a low ball offer and see what they say, or just keep looking. With such a nice looking 911 as back-up, I can't feel too sorry for you. ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it looks like it has close to $5K options - but it does seem a little high for an '06 with that mileage. It sounds like you really aren't sold on it anyway. You could always make a low ball offer and see what they say, or just keep looking. With such a nice looking 911 as back-up, I can't feel too sorry for you. ;)
You would be correct on all accounts... It's just so frustrating because I need to trade in my car, so I need a dealer (can't quite sell it and be without a kid-freindly car for any length of time - I'd also need the baby seat anchors put in). And caymans are *rare* at dealers, believe me ! I've got 2 dealers within 15 miles of me, luckier than most, all they got between themselves is 2 caymans and 2 Ss ! Most of them too new - high 40s....

I'm *almost* thinking I'd be better off buying a new one to my specs, but I swore off the first 2 years depreciation long ago !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Livermore Porsche in California has two brand new 2008s.

They might sell them for cheap, who knows.

Another guy just bought a brand new 2008 from Detroit (Farmington Hills Porsche) for $39k, off MSRP of $58k.

maybe you'd be better off upping your budget a little bit and getting one of these....that's what i'm thinking about.

It seems to get what I really want I need to be a little closer to $40k...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2007 Cayman S, Lapis Blue, Stone Grey interior, CPO, 19,049 miles, it had the preferred package and 6 CD changer with Bose. I bought it February 5th for $35000 at The Auto Gallery, a Los Angeles Porsche dealer. I always had $35K as a target for my car and was ecstatic that my first offer was accepted. My car had been at the dealer's lot since November and had originally been priced at $44K, lowered to $40K prior to me making my offer. Compared to the deal I got, I'd offer $31K for your '06. If I was willing to spend $38K or so, I'd look for a loaded '07 or an '08.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed... Your pricing is way more in line with wha I think is fair.
I've got 3 options right now... I have a friend in the auction business that can also look for me. So I can take a chance on a mid $20s auction CS (friend says 06s are 25-26K generally,that leaves me $$$ to repair whatever issues might pop up), or I go with one of those mythical $40K new 08s (I believe you but *I* haven't seen one yet). Option #3 would be sit tight and wait for a nice 09 -used- for not much more than option 2 ! I'm intrigued by the supposedly more robust new engine design !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed... Your pricing is way more in line with wha I think is fair.
I've got 3 options right now... I have a friend in the auction business that can also look for me. So I can take a chance on a mid $20s auction CS (friend says 06s are 25-26K generally,that leaves me $$$ to repair whatever issues might pop up), or I go with one of those mythical $40K new 08s (I believe you but *I* haven't seen one yet). Option #3 would be sit tight and wait for a nice 09 -used- for not much more than option 2 ! I'm intrigued by the supposedly more robust new engine design !
I found out about the 2008s being purchased on this website, just one or two threads over. Sealand just bought a brand new 2008 from the dealer about 15 mins from my house (Suburban Porsche, Farmington Hills, MI) for about $39k.

Livermore Porsche, CA has two brand new 2008s sitting on their lots....I cannot imagine they would turn down $40k cash for either one....they'd be crazy not too....

search autotrader. There are presently at least 16 "new" 2008s in the US listed on there....one in NJ (Town Porsche), has like 2,200 miles on it...guards red.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
understood, and the "mythical" comment was tongue in cheek, but the logistics are not letting me cold call distant dealers to lowball them... I have a trade in... this needs to be somewhat local to me (Tampa)... And my dealers ain't dealing ;-) They 08s (new) and in the high 50s. Yes, crazy !

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
If you are settling, don't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
understood, and the "mythical" comment was tongue in cheek, but the logistics are not letting me cold call distant dealers to lowball them... I have a trade in... this needs to be somewhat local to me (Tampa)... And my dealers ain't dealing ;-) They 08s (new) and in the high 50s. Yes, crazy !
see that's interesting, my local dealer in Michigan had that 2008 listed for something near $50k, and they took the first offer of $39k from a guy from Washington state....

Why not just sell your existing car privately, and then try another dealer? I just can't believe they are sitting on 2008s and asking $50k for them.

I have purchased a lot of cars out of state (even did a few European Deliveries thru BMW)...its no biggie....

Make an offer on a 2008, you might be suprised if they take you up on it, at $40k...

you stand to save a LOT of money. Only costs about $600-700 to ship, otherwise buy a one way plane ticket and drive it back.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't want to drag this out, but while I agree with all you said, my local dealers have used 06s for $40-43K, so the oods of getting a new 08CS at 40 are NIL ! ;-) They refused an offer on an 06 that was nowhere near as lowball as you suggest I try ;-) But OK, I will try and get shot down for the cause ! ;-)

I don't want to sell my car privately, honestly, the loss on trade-in is offset by the tax savings, and since the car is a GTI, I don't want a succession of 17 year olds test-driving the thing and offering to pay with boy scout cookies and loose change... That and I need the car till the day I have the Cayman ! All-in-one shop for me... I'm looking, not despairing yet ! I'm gonna let the auction option play out first !

·
Registered
716 Posts
Is the price too high? mmm, maybe. Someone just posted about purchasing an 07 Cayman S with 25K miles for $36,000.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts