Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I see how much Porsche are able to sell their cars for in other countries I suffer a short bout of depression.

I wanted to have a vent about the cost of owning luxury sports car in Australia and see what other countries out there are represented and whether anyone has to pay more than us Aussies.

I'll start:

My car in Australia was AUD$174K - new Boxster S with a fair chunk of options. Stamp Duty and Luxury Car Tax made up about $30K of that price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
we certainly pay a huge premium here for luxury cars, dont think we are anywhere as bad as Singapore though
just checked singapore porsche and a new boxster S base price is 302,888 which is 284000 aus

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think that you need to choose a standard configuration (e.g. A no options Cayman S) and get inputs on the cost per country. However, you then have to compare standard options within each country's offering and see if that affects price. Some countries include certain options in the car configuration that other countries don't. As nothing is free, these options will affect total price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we certainly pay a huge premium here for luxury cars, dont think we are anywhere as bad as Singapore though
just checked singapore porsche and a new boxster S base price is 302,888 which is 284000 aus
That's just an insane amount of money for a Boxster S - but I guess it's all relative to average disposable income etc. To memory in Singapore there were oodles of hot cars around the place.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Porsche Australia will say "but we spec them higher than other markets", yes they add PCM and a few other options as standard.
But they also fail to mention they offer a shorter warranty than the USA!
The extras are waaaay short of explaining the price difference.
The taxes are higher here (bloody luxury car tax, why just luxury car, not luxury yacht?) but the mark up is still a lot more than than the tax. It does seem to be "what the market will bear". That is then not helped by most of the other brands doing the same.
Throw in laws stopping you importing a car yourself and bingo - protected market with very little competition.

At least places like Singapore it is mostly tax/duty.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It may also be relevant and/or interesting for the comparison to also consider a rough exchange rate as well as the average cost of a 'normal' car e.g. a Camry.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My sister is planning to buy a 2015 bare bone Cayman S (+PSE) for around 66,000 USD here in Iran.
The surprising thing here is that both Cayenne and Macan are 50% more expensive than Boxster/Cayman!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Beat me to it, Singapore is by far the most expensive place to buy a car. Even a Honda civic is over $100K USD there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think Denmark is as bad - they have about 200% taxes on most cars. The Cayman GT4 base price in Denmark is USD 271,000

Now get ready for this - the cheapest Volkswagen GTi (2 door) costs USD 70,500 in Denmark :eek:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I spent a lot of time in Australia, and the rule of thumb is 2x what cars cost in the USA. Big ripoff but no way around it. Importing a car is just as expensive (and they won't let you bring a left hand drive into the country unless it is an antique). Much of this is due to dealers screwing people, not just government taxes.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Depends on taxes. A bare bone Cayman S sells for about 140K USD in Hong Kong.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Depends on taxes. A bare bone Cayman S sells for about 140K USD in Hong Kong.
Which is amazing considering you could get into a stripper GT3 for that price in the US.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Here is the cost of owning a base Cayman in Singapore:

Add the basic price of the car, including import taxes, and sales tax ($253,988 Singapore dollars)
Porsche Cayman - Porsche Asia Pacific

To that ownership tax (Category B due to engine power outputs) ($77,600 Singapore dollars)
COE Prices & Bidding Results in Singapore - Oneshift.com

Convert to US dollars and you get $251,000. Yep, that's right. That car costs $52,600 in the US.
[h=2][/h]
I just took Singapore off my list for where to relocate..carl

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the cost of owning a base Cayman in Singapore:

Add the basic price of the car, including import taxes, and sales tax ($253,988 Singapore dollars)
Porsche Cayman - Porsche Asia Pacific

To that ownership tax (Category B due to engine power outputs) ($77,600 Singapore dollars)
COE Prices & Bidding Results in Singapore - Oneshift.com

Convert to US dollars and you get $251,000. Yep, that's right. That car costs $52,600 in the US.
A fellow Singaporean colleague just also told me about the Registration fee which is 140% of the Open Market Value of the car on top of COE. Surely you've included that in your calculation?

·
Registered
540 Posts
My accountant tells me when you are paying a lot of taxes you are doing something right! I do not think this is what he meant. I think I will stick to my Vintage Vespa if I decide to move to Singapore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm guessing both Singapore and Hong Kong use taxes to discourage car ownership, since both have great public transit systems. I saw many expensive exotic cars in both cities, but wonder where their owners could go do the enjoy the performance they paid for, since both cities are tiny and massively congested. They are probably considered like Rolex watches with four wheels--just a status symbol.

That doesn't explain Australia, though. Don't you have politicians running for office promising to repeal or lower what appear to be very repressive taxes?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you very much, guys! I don't feel so miserable now paying 115K USD for my new mildly optioned Boxster S (80K in US as per configurator) :cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
A fellow Singaporean colleague just also told me about the Registration fee which is 140% of the Open Market Value of the car on top of COE. Surely you've included that in your calculation?
That sounds about right for a Base Cayman (with no options) including the taxes, registration fees and certificate of entitlement. I paid the equivalent of USD270k for my Base Boxster.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts