Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CS the is new and I am considering the pros & cons of the Clear Bra, and would to hear your opinions on the following:

1. Did you go with a Clear Bra and what do you like or not like?
2. Did you do the hood, head lights, mirrors?
3. How is the clean up from a road trip and what cleaner are you using?
4. Can you share what you covered Bumper, Hood, Head Lights, Mirrors etc. and the cost.
5. If you considered this but decided not too I would like to hear your thought process.

:thanks:

·
Registered
389 Posts
My CS the is new and I am considering the pros & cons of the Clear Bra, and would to hear your opinions on the following:

4. Can you share what you covered Bumper, Hood, Head Lights, Mirrors etc. and the cost.
5. If you considered this but decided not too I would like to hear your thought process.

Falcon7 I would not give it a second thought. I did clear bra on my GT Silver and it is awesome! Full hood, mirrors, etc. You can not see it at all unless you know it is there and then you only see where it ends but it is very clean. Be sure to do full hood or you will see the line 1/2 way up the hood. That in my opinion does not look good. The guy at my dealership did a great job. It cleans up just fine and the spray he included works great. Well worth every penny! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too have put it on all my cars Lexus IS F, BMW 335i coupe, Mini CS, BMW Z4 3.5 I and Infiniti G 35 & 37. We use same company who puts full pack on all the cars hood, mirrors etc and he comes to our home. Charges 750 Dealer always wants 1500. Will always get it and will get it on next car Black 2011CS
it's a no brainer and get it 24in on hood
Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
My only input is be aware that the 3M material is thicker than Venture shield and is easier to see. I have had both, and prefer the thinner material due to its ability to almost disappear. The clear bra on my orange CS Sport is almost invisible, and the one on my metallic gray BMW X5 even more so.

I'm a fan, I say go for it, especially if the bugs are thick where you live like they are out here in the sticks.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Another thing to consider is that clear bra material, regardless of manufacturer, WILL turn slightly yellow over time from exposure to UV rays. This may not be an issue for darker colored cars, but on a white car it's very noticeable.

Also, these clear bra films are porous, so they can absorb dirt and other pollutants. The only way to minimize this is to keep it clean as much as possible.

This information comes directly from the guys at Premier Protective Films here in SoCal, one of our sponsors.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing to consider is that clear bra material, regardless of manufacturer, WILL turn slightly yellow over time from exposure to UV rays. This may not be an issue for darker colored cars, but on a white car it's very noticeable.

Also, these clear bra films are porous, so they can absorb dirt and other pollutants. The only way to minimize this is to keep it clean as much as possible.

This information comes directly from the guys at Premier Protective Films here in SoCal, one of our sponsors.
Good information, your car is Carrara White like mine how long have you had the clear bra on and are you starting to see the yellowing?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Good information, your car is Carrara White like mine how long have you had the clear bra on and are you starting to see the yellowing?
The only place I had clear bra installed was on the rear wheel wells, behind the wheel - where a lot of pebbles and rocks get kicked up by the rear wheels. Had it installed several months ago and so far it's held up well, but I religiously keep those areas clean. The first thing I did after the install was put a layer of Zaino Z-6 and Z-8 for UV protection.

No yellowing yet, but it WILL happen in the future. When it does I'll just get a new set installed.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
I'd say it's well worth it. I went the route of half the hood, mirrors, front bumper, behind the wheels, door edges, door handles, headlights, and fog lights. It cost close to a grand for everything.

I'd say the clear bra works very well. I haven't seen anything as far as rock chips and/or paint scratches. My only complaint is the line from only doing half the hood but you can't really tell unless you walk up to the car.

The sooner you do it, the better.
-Moto

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
I guess I am the lone dissenting voice. I don't like them. Clear bras remind me of the plastic that my grandmother put on her living room furniture. My car actually came with a clear bra. I took it off as soon as I got the car home. I would rather have the occasional nick than look at all that plastic. Besides, I like to wax my cars and a clear bra doesn't work well with wax.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Living in Central Florida for many years with tons of bugs and roads constantly under construction, I've witness the destruction of the finish on the front of several cars. The clear bra was a no brainer on the 997. I had Ventureshield installed over the full hood, fenders, front bumper, and mirrors. Cost was ~$1100. The installer traveled to my home and did the work in my garage.

I've had the bra on the car a little over a year and it still looks very good. Cleanup is with Plexus, or during normal washing. After the wash, I wax the bra with Meguires NXT 2.0 or P21S 100% Carnauba wax. Bug juice will etch the bra just like the paint, so I typically clean them off each night, particularly during the love bug seasons. It can also be scratched just like the clear coat, so be careful what you use in cleaning the bra.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I have a white car with half coverage on the hood. The line shows and, as posted above, it is a bit yellowish. I just had full coverage (entire hood and fenders) installed on my Atlas Gray 07 CS. No lines looks better. From certain angles in certain light the bra does have a discernable texture that is not as smooth as unprotected paint. Worth it to me for the avoidance of the front end chipping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't really notice the clear bra, as since it does it's job well, it wouldn't matter to me if I did notice it :)

Tom

·
Registered
974 Posts

1) yeah, i like that front end will NEVER have chipped paint damage. i don't like that there is a slight contrast on my hood
2) custom job: all front bumper, fog light area, head lights, half hood, side vents and side of rear bumper (very important area)
3) same, optimum no rinse
4) roughly $1000
5) get it. protect your porsche. if my paint chipped i'd be pissed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think due to the lowered paint quality today because of environ. stds; to spend a few bucks more to protect the paint is a no-brainer. The paint quality is part of the overall value, not to mention appeal, of the car itself. As soft as paint is today, something has to be done. If you want to drive your car and have it look decent over time, a proactive solution is proper. Garage queens need not apply.

These people doing entire cars with this stuff- Carrera GT's etc; well, I don't really blame them. I think I would too.

I would not liken this treatment to 'Grandma's plastic-covered furniture'... not as good as some of these products (and their installers) are. Just stay away from the amateurs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
1. First thing I did to the car.
2. Front of car (1/2 hood), mirrors, just behind the rear vents
3. Very easy, just wash with the rest of the car.
4. It's been two years, around 650 if memory is right.
5. n/a

My Cayman is white and after two years there is no yellowing (3M film). My hood is 1/2, there is a slight line...not really visible unless your looking for it. I had the area just behind the rear vents done after noticing a few small chips. The flat surface there seems to be in the line of fire. The roads around Richmond have ALOT of **** on them, especially after all the snow we had. After 9500 miles, the Cayman looks like it came off the lot.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.