Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...because it's too daunting to configure a car with the crazy array of options... :hilarious:

Seriously, I think I would have to own 2-3 more cars before being able to really understand the options I want...

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I am waiting for the truck to deliver my 2016 Cayman to my dealer. This is my 4th Cayman. 08 CS, CR, 2014 Cayman 2.7L and now the 2016 Cayman 2.7L. I knew exactly what I wanted and had no issue ordering. The 2016 is similar to the 2014 with the following adjustments. Mahogany Metallic vs Black, (interior still Luxor Beige), CDR+ instead of full Infotainment, X73 Suspension, SportDesign Wheel, twin tips exhaust, colored center caps. Rest remains the same.....PDK, Premium Package, PDLS, 14 Way Memory Seat Package.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I'm on my 4th Cayman. Every time that I am about ready to get a new one I start planning my order but I always find something on the lot. Oh well. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I joined this site two years before getting my car, just to figure all that out. :D

Reactions: Quasimoto

·
Registered
794 Posts
On my first Cayman and plan to keep for a while. Generally, I'm the kinda guy who learns from experience and likes to do things twice. But in hindsight the only option I wish I got that I didn't was nav -- and that is only very very rarely. The phone actually works fine and I'm glad I saved the money. I could have saved a couple hundred not getting SD steering wheel since there is a GT4 wheel in my garage awaiting an airbag and installation, but the GT4 and the wheel didn't exist when I ordered.....

My guiding principle with options was to only get what couldn't physically (or shouldn't financially) be added later. Like heated seats. Or suspension: I wanted x73, not aftermarket and it was much cheaper to get from factory; installing later would cost twice the price, at least. I changed my config a couple dozen times. Building up and then tearing down, asking myself whether I really needed any option. I exceeded my self-imposed, arbitrary price-point by less than $500.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
So what you're saying is absolutely, definitely get PTV and SC. :D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Coming out of a Honda S2000, a car with basically no options, picked one by color, liked it, wife now loves it as her car.

I selected my Boxster's options over a weekend, roughly.

If the 981 only came one way, would we like these cars that much less?

·
Registered
737 Posts
But it IS nice that you can order your options a la carte. I think it's what makes our cars so special.... There is probably so few cars, if any, with identical build sheets.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
But it IS nice that you can order your options a la carte. I think it's what makes our cars so special.... There is probably so few cars, if any, with identical build sheets.
I started a whole thread here once about finding your car twin. I have a few close cousins here, but certainly no twin. And you sure as hell don't have one. :D

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I test drove a 2014 Boxster yesterday that had the CD-R plus option. Yet I noticed it had completely non-functional Nav and Map buttons. Why would Porsche have those buttons and have them do nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I test drove a 2014 Boxster yesterday that had the CD-R plus option. Yet I noticed it had completely non-functional Nav and Map buttons. Why would Porsche have those buttons and have them do nothing?
The hardware might be the same. I think you can buy the software upgrade from Suncoast to make it functional.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I started a whole thread here once about finding your car twin. I have a few close cousins here, but certainly no twin. And you sure as hell don't have one. :D
oksailor's car comes damn close, to be honest. It was his photos that made me confident in going with this setup, so all credit to him.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
oksailor's car comes damn close, to be honest. It was his photos that made me confident in going with this setup, so all credit to him.

Funny. Same here for Subshooter.

Thank God for those who go before us!! :D

Reactions: Spectre

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I ordered my first Boxster. About a week before it was to come in I discovered that my next door neighbor had bought a car that was almost exactly like my order. I went to the dealership and they let me take a car off the lot and credited me for what I had already put down on the custom order. The car that I got off the lot actually turned out more to my liking.

And I agree 100% with your statement. It definitely is nice to be able to order a la carte but I have been able to get options that I would never even consider buying by getting a car off the lot.

Either way you will definitely enjoy a Boxster/Cayman. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
...because it's too daunting to configure a car with the crazy array of options... :hilarious:

Seriously, I think I would have to own 2-3 more cars before being able to really understand the options I want...
Good click bait.
I configured a car with all the options I wanted ticked and ended up with a 95k Boxster S. Sadly, I needed to buy another new commuter SUV so had to untick many boxes to keep the price reasonable. Still, I wish I had opted for all leather interior, the only option I regret not getting.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Try building a Panamera or Cayenne, even more options. I can easily get to $100k options in a Cayenne.

·
Registered
794 Posts
So what you're saying is absolutely, definitely get PTV and SC. :D
Ok, I misspoke. My guiding principle was to get what I wanted that couldn't be retrofitted.

I figured I could get an LSD installed if I wanted for about the price of PTV and I didn't want the other crap that came with PVT and can't think of a reason to get SC other than to waste money (let the flames begin!).

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ok, I misspoke. My guiding principle was to get what I wanted that couldn't be retrofitted.

I figured I could get an LSD installed if I wanted for about the price of PTV and I didn't want the other crap that came with PVT and can't think of a reason to get SC other than to waste money (let the flames begin!).
Well... SC is great if you like the rev match feature (I do!) and any aftermarket LSD will run you a lot more than ticking the box for PTV.

Reactions: Wild Weasel
1 - 20 of 22 Posts