Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had clear bra install approximately 10 days ago. The installer used 3M product and claimed to be the only certified installer in West Virginia. He was highly recommended by my Cayman salesman. My car is Basalt Black. I notice numerous imperfections in the film- mostly on the bumper and some on curves around headlights. Around headlights can best be described as an orange peel appearance in spots. On the front bumper are 6-8 'stretch' spots which are somewhat circular in shape and clustered near each other. The third thing I notice is quite a number of 'streaks' on the film , which appear to be from the tool he used in the application. These 'problems' were present on the car whan he finished the job , and he assured us that they should clear out of the film after a 'curing' period of approximately a month. They appear to be maybe slightly better than 10 days ago, but I am really starting to have concerns if these will all clear out within a month. The installer told us to contact him if they did not. This was not a cheap job as it was $1325. Can you give me some input as to if these early blemises are considered as 'normal'. I have been trying to get sun exposure to the car as much as possible as this is not a daily driver. The installer says it should continue to lay down better the longer it is on. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had the 3M film put on 3 cars so far. At first they all look like crap. I have had the film on my porsche now for about 3 months and its just starting to look really good. It needs to sit in the heat of direct sunlight to smooth out. Relax, in the long run it willwill be very happy that your front end is not pitted every time you hit a big bug and all you have to do to clean it is wipe it off with a windex wet wipe. Also the darker the color of the car, the worse it looks at first.

-Aaron

·
Administrator
34,465 Posts
Dark cars are always harder to do. The material itself has a slight orange peel to it, that really doesn't ever go away. Stretch marks may fade over time but it really depends on how bad they are. Your install was on the pricey end so I would expect it to be perfect for that price. Do you know which kit the installer used? If you can find another dark colored car done by a different installer perhaps you could compare to see if there are any significant differences. Chances are it will improve 'some' over time, but I've never seen an install job where the improvement was more than 50% after the first day, typically it is more like 10-20% improvement at best. UItimately you have to be happy so as I said, I'd compare to some other Caymans to see how they look if they were done by another installer or using a different kit, etc. This might have been the first time your installer did a Cayman, they aren't easy cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my new Guards Red CS about a month ago. I went to pick it up after purchasing and the clear bra install by the 'best guy in the region'. It was a piss poor job with all the defects you have noted and probably more. I suspect some of the defects you note will not ever fully come out. I had him removeit from the front bumper/hood and now my car is unprotected until I find a true expert to do this for me.Mind you I am no expert but it was a hack job. At least he did not cut the film on the car! I have seem this as well. I had a guy do this for my new cars in another area of the country (I just relocated) and his work was flawless from day 1 - I mean absolutely perfect.

So with that said does anyone know of a real proven professional installer in the Baltimore MD - DC area? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

MY06 Cayman S

·
Registered
148 Posts
eyeguy,
I am in the same situation. Mine was done about 2 weeks ago. From day one I was not very happy with the way it looked. My instaler said leave it in the sun and all that condensation will evaporate and it will smooth out. I left it in the sun for the last 2 days since it's been raining here (northeast) prior to then. My problem is the hood and 1 fender. I must say some of the orange peel effect did clear up after this sun exposure. If it's not 100% within another couple of weeks I'm going back to the fealer and having them rip it off and redone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1st this is a very hard application IMO. These cars are perfect and then we add a film to surfaces with many bends and curves...

$1300 is really expensive. I personally would not mind that cost if the headlights were removed and the clear bra was installed perfectly it is worth the premium.

The guy that I use at my dealership cost half of what some of these guys are paying. It is not perfect but it is not horrible. I think a lot has to do with the color of the vehicle.

Silver is the best... A GT3 doing 1 lap of america came through and I could hardly tell he had the bra....

Very hard application when guys are doing this fly by night stuff....

Good Luck.... and for $1300 it better be F'ing flawless...

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I had mine done on Thuresday, and other than the slight orange peel it appears to be pretty good. One small 'bunching up' under the drivers side mirror, otherwise pretty good. I'm hoping some of the orange peel will smooth out as it sits in the sun.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
... So with that said does anyone know of a real proven professional installer in the Baltimore MD - DC area?

Yes. Proform in Ellicott City. http://www.proformauto.com/index2.php These guys are the ones who teach all the installers at local auto dealers how to install the stuff. In this area we are all lucky in that you can go to the 'teacher' vice the 'students'.They are NOT cheap. Dunno how much for a Cayman but I would expect over $1200. Then again, they are supposed to be the best. I know of cheaper places if you want them.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
My dealer installed mine for $700 on my Seal Gray. You can hardly tell it's there except by the line on the hood where the coverage ends. Even that is hard to see.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 3M clear bra on my Acura and am not likely to get it on my Boxster S which is supposedly arriving in port today. Even though the installation was excellent on the Acura you do notice it. It also seems to have aged and become more noticeable on the Acura after 4 years. Some of the imperfections you noted are not likely to go away in my opinion. There are likely to be some slight stretch marks and orange peel here and there. I'm not going to jinx myself by saying I'd rather risk a nick or two in the paint than get another clear bra but suffice it to say that I'm not having one put on the Boxster until the dealer shows me an installation on another car that lives up to my expectations.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" /> Thanks Chows4us, I appreciatethe recommedation. Have you direct experience with Proform?<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />

No I do not but they do come highly recommended. At one time I was looking for some clearbra, found out about proform but they wanted $1200 to do a MINI Cooper. I thought that was a bit too much for a tiny car as it could be done for 2/3s that at a Race Shop. The expensive of ClearBrais in the expertise of the installer. The materials are relatively cheap ... how good an installation you get is key. Then I found it that these were the guys who 'teach' the local dealers how to install ClearBra and if I ever get it done, on any car, I would go to the source.
</blockquote>

Edited by - chows4us on 05/29/2006 3:13:24 PM

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem with the bumper. I also have Basalt. After a month, when it didn't clear up, the installer (Aerotect - Southern Cali) re-did it at no charge. It looks great now.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I had a 3M clear bra installed on myCayman Swhen it arrived a month ago. Parktown Imports had it on a black Cayman S in the showroom and it could not be seen at all without really looking hard. Although they did a great job on my Arctic Silver (none of the imperfections you mention) you can none-the-less see it as it has a slight orange peel surface (not the spectral shine of the paint). I have since Zainoed it well, hoping the sheen will begin to match, and maybe it is, only time will tell. By the way, mine cost $650 and was applied well for what its worth. The skill of application is critical and reflected in the price as the 3m clear bra kit itself for the Cayman cost between $10 and $30. I was told that the newest 3M product is more UV resistant than others and will not change color as it ages. I would do it again.

Arctic Silver

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
When you put tape on paint, you get tape on paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had clear bra install approximately 10 days ago. The installer used 3M product and claimed to be the only certified installer in West Virginia. He was highly recommended by my Cayman salesman. My car is Basalt Black. I notice numerous imperfections in the film- mostly on the bumper and some on curves around headlights. Around headlights can best be described as an orange peel appearance in spots. On the front bumper are 6-8 'stretch' spots which are somewhat circular in shape and clustered near each other. The third thing I notice is quite a number of 'streaks' on the film , which appear to be from the tool he used in the application. These 'problems' were present on the car whan he finished the job , and he assured us that they should clear out of the film after a 'curing' period of approximately a month. They appear to be maybe slightly better than 10 days ago, but I am really starting to have concerns if these will all clear out within a month. The installer told us to contact him if they did not. This was not a cheap job as it was $1325. Can you give me some input as to if these early blemises are considered as 'normal'. I have been trying to get sun exposure to the car as much as possible as this is not a daily driver. The installer says it should continue to lay down better the longer it is on. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hey all,
I am a new IS350 owner, love the car - an awesome (but dark color) smokey graphite.
I had the clear bra installed last week on the bumper, hood (bikini cut), rocker panels and the a-pillars. The install was done in Charlotte from a certified installer. Overall it looks fantastic, just noticed 4-6 small stretch marks too along the right edge of the bumper, that are also kinda ridged. Not a huge deal as at least the car is prptected right? Overall I paid $875 for all the pieces. I am hoping the sun and time will smooth it out - any suggestions though? I'd hate to have the bumper redone and risk looking worse? Thx!

·
Registered
266 Posts
As many members' experiences above, the installer is really the key. This industry has expanded to a level where many companies are adding it as a supplement to their existing company or starting it up as a specialty shop.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have it (Roadblock) on the Arctic Silver 2007 CS that I just bought. It looks very good- you only notice the edges at some angles. So what can you expect 5-10 years down the road (so to speak)? Will it age, need to be replaced at some point?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts