Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the softronic software and intake on my 2.7 for about a year now without any problems. A few days ago I got a check engine and the car wouldn't go over 3k rpm. Took it to the dealer who said that the O2 sensor was tripped and that the hose going from the oil separator to the intake manifold had collapsed. They said it didn't look like a stock part so there was nothing they could do.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it true that this isn't a stock part? I remember that the hose needed to be shortened to fit, could the part number have been cut off? How would I go about getting this fixed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I had the same problem with the oil separator hose. It caused my engine to squeal when stopped, but didn't do anything moving. My independent mechanic found the hose crimped, replaced it with a better hose, and replaced the oil separator. I posted it somewhere around here.

I was irritated because the dealer wanted to drop my engine/tranny to find the problem. The mechanic found it in 20 minutes with the engine cover off. I think he said the hose collapsing was a common thing on 996s.

I've had the softronic software and intake on my 2.7 for about a year now without any problems. A few days ago I got a check engine and the car wouldn't go over 3k rpm. Took it to the dealer who said that the O2 sensor was tripped and that the hose going from the oil separator to the intake manifold had collapsed. They said it didn't look like a stock part so there was nothing they could do.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it true that this isn't a stock part? I remember that the hose needed to be shortened to fit, could the part number have been cut off? How would I go about getting this fixed?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Hello,

You could try and contact Softronic first.... Then again the hose wouldn't have an affect on the O2 sensors.... While it may collapse under vacuum it would expand under positive crankcase pressure.

What were the fault codes?

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I should add that my problem was likely an installation issue. I didn't bring it up because I didn't consider it a big deal.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott, I did call but it was after you had closed for the day. I don't mean to sound like I am mad or dissatisfied with the Softronic. Quite the opposite! I am extremely happy and would recommend it to anyone!

The only other faults they said were miss fires but after clearing them, none reappeared. I only posted on here because I thought it might be a common issue and I could instruct the dealer to use some other hose instead. When I asked them, they said they didn't have anything they thought would work.

Scott, would you like me to call you tomorrow?

Thanks!
Mike

Hello,

You could try and contact Softronic first.... Then again the hose wouldn't have an affect on the O2 sensors.... While it may collapse under vacuum it would expand under positive crankcase pressure.

What were the fault codes?

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Hello Mike,
No worries I'm just not sure the problem that you are having is from the oil sep hose. I can send you another however I would like to know what the faults had been so that I could better help you. The hose will do what you stated yet not cause an issue as you described.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

·
Registered
975 Posts
Scott,

From what you've stated it isn't a problem if the vaccum hose is collapsed at time of install nor when the car is at idle? But what about when driven under load? To make sure we're talking about the same piece, I've doctored up an image from the SRP install article on this site:

I've had my SRP installed and been a happy customer almost a year now, no issues so far, but if my hose needs to be replaced I'd like to do so before encountering issues.

I should note before the install my mechanic mentioned that the hose was too long causing severe bending/collapsing so we trimmed off 1/4" on the side where it connects with a clamp to the plenum. This helped, but still the hose looked like it was mostly collapsed. After install we put the car under load on a dyno and the hose did not visibly seem to expand. What do you suggest?

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
OK ... The hose may collapse at idle since there is more vacumm or to be exact a lower pressure differential in the intake than the crankcase. While driving the crankcase will gen more pressure from blow by etc from the rings. This is now positive pressure in which the hose would look to be expanded. As I stated this does not cause a CEL and would be considered OK. Now should the hose be cut or leak then it would be a problem as it would be considered an intake leak.

Best,
Scott

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Scott:

My hose has also over time softened and is covered with a sticky goo. I am not a chemist, but is it possible that the oil is softening it over time?

More importantly, have you come across a simliar OEM plastic hose that we could potentially reuse for a more elegant solution? I would not mind buying the OEM part if it could be sourced easilly.

Even if I have to use a heat gun to bend it appropriately. Alternatively have you checked with Samco if they may have something that would fit?

Tomasz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts