Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help!!!! LOL

I am at the end of my Numeric Short Shift Install, and am having a problem I hope folks can help with. Of course, the thing I am having a problem with should be a non-issue. But....

With the help of the GREAT Articles here, I was able to take apart the console, and install the shifter. The whole taking the console out, and putting it back in went really well because of the terrific folks here.

At this point, the new shifter is installed and has been adjusted. My problem is that I can't get the shift knob & boot back on. It is almost as if the new shift level is too long (from top end to the part of the stalk that transitions from oblong, to round).

In other words, if I attach the boot to the knob, and push the knob all the way down onto the shift lever, the boot is not down low enough to be turned. The plastic connector on the boot needs to be on the round part of the lower shift level to turn. It is higher up on the oblong part of the shift lever. It needs to came down about 3/16".

I know the boot and knob are fine. I can put them back on the old shift with no difficulty. Does anyone have any ideas aside from shaving 3/16" off the top of the shift lever?

I have emailed and called Numeric Racing, and haven't heard anything back yet. Below is a picture of the issue. From my measurements, the black plastic has to come down just enough to cover the indent/curve in the lever.

Shifter.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Numeric shifter (it looks very nice) but did install a 997 SSK in my Cayman so I'm very familiar with the steps you've gone through.

I really struggled with the shift boot and getting it back on. I actually had gotten to the point that I was about to throw in the towel. Eventually the leather worked its way out of the two rings so I had two pieces of plastic and the leather and I thought, man now I'll never get this thing back together.

It was helpful having the two plastic pieces separate though. I was able to go through the procedure of sliding the plastic rings together on to the lever and rotating it into place without the leather blocking my view. After doing it a few times I became very comfortable with the location of where to turn, what it felt like when it was turning properly, when it was in place and locked etc.

So then I repositioned the leather boot (it's just held in with tension) and was able to get the boot in place on the 2nd or 3rd try (less than 2 minutes) after I had taken the time to really understand how it locks into place.

I easily wasted 45 minutes prior to that trying to just make it work. Obviously I can't speak to the shift lever arm length and that, but hopefully it helps to hear that this was a tricky part of the process. It's definitely the type of thing you struggle with at first but now I suspect I'd have it pretty quickly in the future.

I'd love to hear how that Numeric shifter feels when you are out of the woods. The 997 SSK is quite good in that it takes a utterly sloppy shift experience and makes it nice, but I can imagine an even more rifle bolt action like mechanical precision feel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update with answers....

I sent Numeric an email with pictures of the issue. They were stumped, but they took the time to go out to one of their cars, so they could visualize the issue, and recommend a cure. They even had started to shoot a video to help, when we got things sorted out.

Root Cause... The Numeric Shifter provides a tighter knob fit than the stock shifter. This is intentional as one of their folks had a stock shifter knob come loose during races a few times. The cure is to put the knob onto the shift lever, then smack the living crap out of it, with your hand.

During the installation, I had one other issue, and it cost me hours because I have never replaced a shifter. I mentioned it to Numeric, and they said they would look at updating their documentation. This is fantastic if it helsp some other Newb like me.

The other was occurred when you get the shifter out. The next instruction was to move the old shifter rods to the new shifter. I had never installed a shifter, so I had no idea how to do this. I know I didn't want to break either of the rods, and have to order parts from Porsche in order to drive the car. So i spent hours, on the net trying to figure out how to get the 2 shifter rods off the old shifter, and safely onto the new one. It was very frustrating, and could have been avoided with some info on this in the instructions.

For other dolts like me....
1) The rods that attached to the ball, can be pried off with a fork-like tool. I used the back-end of a hammer, and it came right off with no damage to the rod.
2) The other rod has a plastic cap. Pry that up and off with a tiny screwdriver. Once the cap is removed, you can pull the rod off the shifter. Be sure to reuse the white washer on the new shifter.

Numeric was very helpful when I got them on the phone, and they were receptive to adding a couple things to their documentation. If they indeed update their documentation, it will help me feel better about the hours I spent, figuring out 5 minute tasks.

The shifter is a night and day difference. I tried the lowest setting (shortest throw). It was very short and crisp, but getting into some of the gears took a little force. It wasn't bad, but I opted for the middle setting which is still short and crisp, but doesn't require force, and is very smooth. The Numeric has so little slop. I wasn't thrilled with the stock shifter, but didn't consider it bad. But after using the Numeric for a little while, the amount of slop in the stock shifter is really obvious.

Reactions: Boiler Inspector

·
Registered
432 Posts
Awesome, in a week you won't even remember how the stock shifter felt.

That Numeric is such a work of art, did you cover it back up for a stock look, because in some ways it would be a shame to cover such a beautiful machined piece of equipment.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bryant,

Yes, I did cover it back up for that stock look. While the Numeric has a nice look to it, the stock cables and other stuff under the console isn't as pretty. And, I figure the console may block a little road noise, so I put the console back in.

On the middle throw setting the Numeric is a joy. It's easy to get into any gear, it's smooth, a short throw, precise, crisp. So far, it's an improvement over the stock shifter in every way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. I have been considering installing the Numeric shifter and cables.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ice,

I can't give any input on the cables, but I just got back from a drive, and I am thrilled with the Numeric Short Shifter, and the Sprint Booster I recently added.

The Sprint Booster makes the throttle response much quicker. I have the Sport Chrono, and the Sprint Booster still increases the throttle response in both the Green and Red modes. It's a noticeable difference which allows me to get to the RPM I want even quicker.

The short shifter helps keep the RPMs up when shifting of course, due to the shorter throw. And, you can move from 2-3 or 4-5 in one motion, (not up over and up). The Numeric is so precise. No gear is hard to get into. Shifting is quicker and smoother across the board.

Together, these 2 mods allow me to be more immediate in regards to RPMs/Acceleration. I spend more time at the actual RPM I want to be at. I know my wording is poor, and this doesn't sound like a big deal, but the car is now much closer to a "I think it, the car does it" driving expreience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts