Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I started up my 08 Cayman S today to a lot of vibration while it was warming up. It felt like someone was bumping the car. Rpms weren’t jumping crazy or anything, but the feeling was way more than usual. It leveled off and smoothed out after about 30s. I did notice a tapping noise when I walked around the car on the passengers side at idle. I’m doing some touch up work, and haven’t driven it in about 2 weeks.
Here’s a video of it at idle. It’s still not up to temp.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,858 Posts
The tapping noise is pretty normal after sitting. Drive it around a little and make another video… not sure about the rough idle, I’m not hearing that tho.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tapping noise is pretty normal after sitting. Drive it around a little and make another video… not sure about the rough idle, I’m not hearing that tho.
Thanks! Yea I’ll have to get it out after painting. The engine was already replaced for bore scoring in 2014, so it would be crazy for it to happen again right?!

·
Administrator
1,827 Posts
I was just a little freaked out because it sounds eerily like this.
Doesn't sound at all the same to me. You have a light tap.. perhaps a noisy injector or a lifter that hasn't fully pumped up. This video has a bad sound.. something is wrong with it that isn't simple or cheap.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,858 Posts
Agree, injector or probably a lifter that’s at idle oil thirsty…drive it’ll go away…
If you had bore scoring, the exhaust and rear bumper cover would probably be all soot covered.. oil consumption would be the next issue… check the oil and drive it and then look at the few items mentioned.
These motors are great but they can really $uck…. Rule of thumb, don’t let them idle. Soon as the high idle drops, drive it (normally). There isn’t full capacity oil being pressured into the motor at idle, flat 6’s do not like that…the government does!

·
Administrator
1,827 Posts
Liqui Moly has an oil additive that helps cure noisy (sticky) lifters, but cannot remember which one is the one that I used on my 987, it works great..
Funny thing - I was using Pensotin 5W-40 in my '09 2.9L engine.. it started up perfectly quiet. I switched at my last oil change to LubroMoly 5W-40, and there is a slight short tap on cold engine startup now. Needless to say, next change I'm going back to the Pensotin. I went with the LubroMoly since so many people are using it, and FCP sells a nice oil change kit with it.. I asked them about making up a kit with the LubroMoly and they said they'd be happy to do so.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Funny thing - I was using Pensotin 5W-40 in my '09 2.9L engine.. it started up perfectly quiet. I switched at my last oil change to LubroMoly 5W-40, and there is a slight short tap on cold engine startup now. Needless to say, next change I'm going back to the Pensotin. I went with the LubroMoly since so many people are using it, and FCP sells a nice oil change kit with it.. I asked them about making up a kit with the LubroMoly and they said they'd be happy to do so.
Do you mean making up a kit with Pentosin?

I do hear a lot of ppl recommending Liquimoly

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Administrator
1,827 Posts
Do you mean making up a kit with Pentosin?

I do hear a lot of ppl recommending Liquimoly

Shawn in VA (USA)
Shawn,

Yes.

And from Google:
Googlemeister said:
Is LIQUI MOLY and Lubro moly the same?

Lubro Moly was founded in the mid-50's and has played an active role in the development of Germany's driving culture ever since. Recently the company has changed it's name and all of their products name to LIQUI MOLY.
So - Lubro-Liqui - tomato - tomatoe.. same thing spelled differently. You can see my experience with the two above. FWIW - I've been using Pensotin 5W-40 in my Cayenne since I got it, and there have been no oil-related failures except a sticky vanos-valve (the lift valve) - which was why I tried Lubro/Liqui-Moly on the boxster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts