Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a nearly 10 year hiatus, I am finally back in a Porsche, opting this time for the modern conveniences of a standard Cayman w/ PDK. While I haven't made it back to an auto-x yet, I've been wondering what the appropriate way to launch with the standard PDK is. Googling around and checking this board, I can't seem to get a conclusive answer. Right now the options seem to be:

- Just put your foot down and let the PDK work it out. Feels like a much slower start than I'd get in a manual, but maybe that's just perception
- Put in neutral (both paddles), left foot on brake, right rev to ~3500, click into first and release brake.. Equivalent of dumping the clutch, but I just wonder if the PDK is meant for that type of abuse
- Put in 1st, left on brake, floor it, release brake. This one really sounds like it would damage the PDK, or will it slip the clutch for poor man's launch control?

thanks,
Arne

·
Registered
737 Posts
The consensus seems to be that launching without launch control isn't good for your pdk. Somehow, launch control assures that the least amount of wear and tear is done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From the manual....

Preconditions:

Launch Control should only be used when the engine has reached operating temperature.
"Sport Plus" mode must be switched on (indicator light on the button comes on and SPORT PLUS appears on the digital speedometer or on the steering wheel).
Press the brake with your left foot.
Quickly press the accelerator down fully (kickdown activated) and hold it.
The engine speed will level off at around 6,500 rpm.
"Launch Control active" is displayed on the multi-function display.
Depending on equipment, the "LAUNCH CONTROL" logo appears on the steering wheel.
Release the brake within a few seconds.
Remaining stationary for a long time with LAUNCH CONTROL can lead to overloading of the transmission.

To protect the transmission, the engine power is then reduced and the LAUNCH CONTROL process is cancelled.

In order to drive off, the accelerator must first be fully released.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
From the manual....

Preconditions:

Launch Control should only be used when the engine has reached operating temperature.
"Sport Plus" mode must be switched on (indicator light on the button comes on and SPORT PLUS appears on the digital speedometer or on the steering wheel).
Press the brake with your left foot.
Quickly press the accelerator down fully (kickdown activated) and hold it.
The engine speed will level off at around 6,500 rpm.
"Launch Control active" is displayed on the multi-function display.
Depending on equipment, the "LAUNCH CONTROL" logo appears on the steering wheel.
Release the brake within a few seconds.
Remaining stationary for a long time with LAUNCH CONTROL can lead to overloading of the transmission.

To protect the transmission, the engine power is then reduced and the LAUNCH CONTROL process is cancelled.

In order to drive off, the accelerator must first be fully released.
Except that he doesn't have sport chrono, which is required for that sequence.
OP - I think you may be surprised at how quick option 1 will get you going. I would never try the other two but it's your transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was reading about this today actually. Option 3 is considered a "mini launch control" by a few on another forum (I don't remember which one, I was researching to see about enabling the N pull on the multi-function wheel, sadly I never found a way to do it :( ) It will partially release the clutch if you very quickly push the accelerator down with the brake applied and rev to 4,000, release the brake and roll out. I haven't tried it, and have no idea about wear and tear on the transmission, but it is a possibility.

·
Registered
311 Posts
His option 2 is left foot on brake. I believe you are talking about putting on parking brake, them flooring it. That would be option 4 and it is supposedly a mini-Launch Control that is less violent.

In my CS with Sport Chrono, just flooring it seems plenty violent, especially when the 1-2 upshift hits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wasn't fully paying attention apparently... I was actually talking about option 3, but not flooring it all of the way down. I definitely was not referring to engaging the parking brake for a launch (though that does work quite well in my I3!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was at the 718 experience at Silverstone a couple of months ago, we did lots of launch control starts, but as a comparison we did option1 above as well. To me option 1 was still incredibly quick and whilst not quite at launch control levels I bet it was quicker than I could do in a manual.

Why do you think you want to launch quicker than this?, make sure you really plant the gas.

·
Registered
443 Posts
OP - I think you may be surprised at how quick option 1 will get you going. I would never try the other two but it's your transmission.
I agree wholeheartedly. Keep in mind the published time for 0-60 with PDK is only .2 of a second slower than with SC. Is .2 seconds really worth experimenting on the best way to do potentially extensive damage to the drivetrain?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree wholeheartedly. Keep in mind the published time for 0-60 with PDK is only .2 of a second slower than with SC. Is .2 seconds really worth experimenting on the best way to do potentially extensive damage to the drivetrain?
I was wondering if the published non-CS 0-60 was just "floor it", since they are faster than the manual numbers. I may not have been fully flooring it or just expected it to be more violent, since dumping the clutch with manual ends up in at least some tire chirp. It's completely possible that it's much faster and smoother than I could do in manual, not having timed it, hence my question whether there was a common technique people used at auto-x. I agree that both options 2 & 3 seem like they're taking the life of your PDK in your hands, so I appreciate the feedback dissuading me trying those.

thanks,
arne

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I was wondering if the published non-CS 0-60 was just "floor it", since they are faster than the manual numbers. I may not have been fully flooring it or just expected it to be more violent, since dumping the clutch with manual ends up in at least some tire chirp. It's completely possible that it's much faster and smoother than I could do in manual, not having timed it, hence my question whether there was a common technique people used at auto-x. I agree that both options 2 & 3 seem like they're taking the life of your PDK in your hands, so I appreciate the feedback dissuading me trying those.

thanks,
arne
When you quickly floor the pedal with PDK, you will notice a slight delay before the car actually moves akin to the same effect that occurs with the small amount of time it takes to quickly release the clutch in a manual and get the car moving. This was very unusual for me the first time in a PDK as like me, I imagine most are used to the instantaneous movement from standard torque converter equipped automatics. Ive since become used to the fact that the PDK is essentially behaving just like a manual would from a standing start, only its handling the clutch for me and the same slight delay is to be expected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.