Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed before so please bare with me. I'm due to pick up my 2010cs sometime this october. My dealer has offered me a 3 in 1 package which is as follows: 3M stoneguard ($449)-covers hood and part of fender, paint protection ($400.00) car is carrera white, and interior protection ($300.00), car is red natural leather.
THey offered the package for $949 plus tax (canadian).

My questions are: is the 3M stoneguard adequate since it only covers the hood and partial fender? How much and which parts of the car do you recommend should be protected? Also, does anyone know how they treat the interior? Finally, i hate the idea of driving the car home without any of the protective covers...if i decide to get the package, is it wise to book the work done to be ready when i get the car, or should i examine the car first? Sorry about the longwinded questions, thanks to everyone in advance.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
It is more commonly referred to as "dealer profit". You should search for 3m on this site and check out your local installers of the same or similar products for prices. A true 3M installation is valuable. Paint protection and interior protections are just CA$ transfers from you to them (i.e. wax and leather treatment products you can and should routinely apply). Oh and you don't have to say no too quickly while you demand other freebies....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that helps...i did research the 3M stoneguard on this site and i did find some valuable feedback. I'm just wondering if what the dealer offers in terms of surface area on the hood and part fender enough of the car to cover? Maybe i should just get the paint protection for $400??? and you say the interior i can just treat myself?

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Thanks that helps...i did research the 3M stoneguard on this site and i did find some valuable feedback. I'm just wondering if what the dealer offers in terms of surface area on the hood and part fender enough of the car to cover? Maybe i should just get the paint protection for $400??? and you say the interior i can just treat myself?
Paint protection is a con. Just wax or polish the car yourself as needed. It is rewarding to do, lots of pride of ownership and you can buy a lifetime of wax for $400.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, in the package they gave me there is no detailed info.
Has anyone ever been offered this package by their dealer?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually the booklet i'm looking at just says it's a "paint sealant". The interior protection is a "leather guard". Is this just a money grab? Can i do this myself?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what i'm gathering is that all i need to protect the car is a well installed 3m stoneguard from a reputable installer. The leather interior as well as the paint can be treated myself with the right product?

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Yep and you will enjoy doing that - look for threads about wax and leather care. There are lots of different opinions but there are also lots of great products too. A lazy Saturday of washing, waxing and leather conditioning your car is a tradition you don't want to miss out on. A few local brews will enhance the experience as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It does not sound like they are covering the front bumper and the lights. The front bumper will pick up the most chips over time as it is the lowest body panel (next to the rockers) on the car that is forward facing. The headlights are made out of plastic, so you will also see a good amount of road chipping over time as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the article. I think i'm going to call my dealer and ask what's involved in the paint sealant they offer. I hear some sealants are sprayed on once and you never have to wax or treat the car ever again, i'm not sure how much truth there is to this.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I'm due to pick up my 2010cs sometime this october.
Hmmm :confused:. I was just at the dealer ship last night for our monthly PCA meeting. I was talking to my salesman about 2010 cars and he said that Cayman S are scheduled for December delivery and Base Caymans for January delivery. I guess thats based on there allocations.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i really hope my dealer isn't telling me october just to give me false hope! He said, build in sept for oct delivery up here in Canada. I better not be getting the car in Decemeber. It was never the way i pictured it -driving home in my first porsche in a damn snow blizzard!!!! Talk about ruining a dream!

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Thanks for the article. I think i'm going to call my dealer and ask what's involved in the paint sealant they offer. I hear some sealants are sprayed on once and you never have to wax or treat the car ever again, i'm not sure how much truth there is to this.
Zero truth. Of course you don't have to wax your car again but it will look like ****. Don't fall for that old one. Back when the dealers wanted to charge for "undercoating". There is always a gimmick that plays on victim to get some more money in the deal for the dealer. Now you also have to carefully check on the paperwork to make sure the Finance guy isn't adding in a couple of bogus charges or used the wrong finance/lease rate or on and on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts