Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just won an auction on a 2014 boxster. It definitely needs some work....it was hit in the rear slightly...no structural damage.
Because of that and the fact it must go to the body shop, I am considering changing up the color from plain black to the rare basalt black metallic.
Also, I hate the stock wheels, and I would like to upgrade them to 19" or 20" wheels and tires....looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just won an auction on a 2014 boxster. It definitely needs some work....it was hit in the rear slightly...no structural damage.
Because of that and the fact it must go to the body shop, I am considering changing up the color from plain black to the rare basalt black metallic.
Also, I hate the stock wheels, and I would like to upgrade them to 19" or 20" wheels and tires....looking for recommendations.
Hey there! I remember your username; I'm glad to hear you found a a car in good shape! :)

For tires and wheels, I'd highly recommend TireRack.com. You can get a set of wheels with the tires already mounted and balanced, including the TPMS sensors if you need them. All you have to do is mount them. I picked up the 19" FC Starke Design wheels with my winter tires mounted and have used them the past two Pennsylvania winters with tens of thousands of miles and no issues. I'd recommend them for sure:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/res...&autoModel=Boxster&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=

There are also more expensive and lighter wheels, but those fit my budget.

In terms of changing the color of the car, I think you might also want to consider a vinyl wrap rather than paint job. These days, the wrap should last a number of years and your all-in cost might be a lot lower than a full paint job.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that recommendation, those are pretty sharp wheels. I've been warned that going with larger wheel diameter could make the car ride a bit rougher. Have you experienced that ?
Now I wonder what tires to get....I had a bad experience with Conti Extreme DWS - they had soft sidewalls and were a nightmare in the curves. They could go in rain, ice and snow however. But I'm looking for more of a summer tire.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you are looking for summer tires Michelin Pilot Super Sports or their newer better replacement the 4S will be good. The latter do better in cold/water apparently but are basically the same performance in warm. 19" are definitely softer a bit than 20" if you are looking for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mcoment is completely right. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the consensus for the best non-track summer tire.

I just noticed that my link to the wheels just showed the general page. Here are the exact wheels I have and they are on closeout pricing: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...partnum=FC1985513052B&i1_Qty=2&oEvent=event88

When you add wheels to your cart on tirerack, it will ask you if you also want tires-- and it will automatically display tires that will fit the wheel you've selected (in this case, the michelin pilot super sport will be listed, among others).

Again, to echo mcoment, the size 19" vs 20" will be the big differentiator in terms of ride quality being smooth or firm. For the amount of potholes we have in PA, i'd definitely go with 19 inch wheels rather than 20".

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Because you bought the car at auction I know that you understand the need to repair things but also the costs involved. If you were trying to save money then changing the entire car's colour is an expensive job and it will never be perfect because there will be area's that are too difficult to paint, at least black to Basalt won't be so bad for those areas but they will still exist.

Hey there! I remember your username; I'm glad to hear you found a a car in good shape! :)

For tires and wheels, I'd highly recommend TireRack.com. You can get a set of wheels with the tires already mounted and balanced, including the TPMS sensors if you need them. All you have to do is mount them. I picked up the 19" FC Starke Design wheels with my winter tires mounted and have used them the past two Pennsylvania winters with tens of thousands of miles and no issues. I'd recommend them for sure:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/res...&autoModel=Boxster&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=

There are also more expensive and lighter wheels, but those fit my budget.

In terms of changing the color of the car, I think you might also want to consider a vinyl wrap rather than paint job. These days, the wrap should last a number of years and your all-in cost might be a lot lower than a full paint job.
I came across another way to change the look and colour of the car, although this is not for some Halo EFX paint looks to be a great option for changing the colour of a vehicle temporarily. Halo EFX - Liquid Wrap Automotive Coatings | Protective Coatings

Yes this stuff can be peeled off when you get tired of it or what to change the look! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1145F6A941C0D1604E451145F6A941C0D16&FORM=VIRE

I have no idea of the cost, but quality, even temporary in nature is not cheap...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am an experienced body man....I'll repaint it myself.
However, no one has been able to answer the question of why Porsche stopped with the Basalt Black Metallic finish ?

I am definitely going with the Michelin Super Sport tires....the ratings are phenomenal. 19" wheels for sure. PA is brutal...pothole-wise.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I am an experienced body man....I'll repaint it myself.
However, no one has been able to answer the question of why Porsche stopped with the Basalt Black Metallic finish ?

I am definitely going with the Michelin Super Sport tires....the ratings are phenomenal. 19" wheels for sure. PA is brutal...pothole-wise.
Ok wait, that is just not fair... that changes everything! ;)

I don't have the official answer on Basalt Black, but like all 'step-up' colours perhaps they have just retired it? Other than the primary stock colours like regular black, white, red and yellow (speed or racing), the first level step-up seem to rotate through on availability, for example Dark Blue Metallic is not longer available either and I think the only reason is to keep things fresh, not because of anything else.

Because you can do you own work on the car for body and paint your options are wide open compared to most of us. I have painted numerous bumpers, repairs, wheels and trim bits as well as a few cars but only as a hobby, knowing how it works only means I understand how skilled and practised one has to be to get this right!

I like Basalt Black over solid black and it would look great on the Boxster...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update:
After a new battery at the dealer's, the car is in an independent shop with a repair estimate of $3,000. This is in contrast to the dealer repair cost of $12,000.
New tires and wheels are coming in from CA next week. 21" silver with Toyo tires.
Next up: minor body repair and a repaint to Basalt Black Metallic.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
An update:
After a new battery at the dealer's, the car is in an independent shop with a repair estimate of $3,000. This is in contrast to the dealer repair cost of $12,000.
New tires and wheels are coming in from CA next week. 21" silver with Toyo tires.
Next up: minor body repair and a repaint to Basalt Black Metallic.
Great to hear that your project is moving along, take lots of pictures of the paint and body repair and remember to post them here! :picsplz:

·
Glockman
63 Posts
Congrat's on the 981!!:dance:

I just changed out my 19" stock with 20" RW5 Rodrerick wheels and PZERO's and LOVE it, the ride is no different !! Roderick RW5 wheels are made specifically for Porsche, and the fitment is perfect!!! Be careful on the paint , Porsche quality paint is not easy to duplicate!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.