Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the tire rack ratings, initial reviews of users here so now I'm hoping to get more long term use views.

Those of you who are now on PS4S and have run PSS or PS2s for a while in the past, please give your updated views on the PS4S against these 2 tires. Am interested in the usual dry and wet handling, braking, cornering, road noise and comfort.

I don't track but do enjoy occasional spirited drives, occasional high speed bursts and occasional B-road drives where quick short bursts, sharp braking and winding roads are frequent. Most of the time though, its a daily beater for city driving.

Experiences in the heavy rain will be much appreciated. The skies can really open ups when it rains here.

And finally, if you moved off PS4S, why and to what or maybe back to some tire you ran in the past.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very good question, I'm wondering about it myself. I had PS2s on my previous car, now PS4Ss, both were fresh tires. If you consider that my first car was 18ns and the second is on 19 inch wheels, it's quite incredible. I think the ride is softer and quieter, my wife noticed it immediately (she is a high threshold sensor for ride quality). I thought that maybe gen 2 car (vs my previous gen 1) has different dampers, but I doubt it.

Then is the grip... I have a low speed last curve on my way home which I use to say a proper goodbye to the car before parking in my garage. When I take it right in the PS4Ss the car almost lifts the inside wheels and stands on the outside tire wells. It plants even better than the PS2s, which I thought was a great tire, both wet and dry.

I will never switch to anything else on the Cayman.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have never run the PSS or PS2s on my '12CS, but the PS4S is exceptional in the rain. Have never felt any tire be nearly as planted in the rain.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the updates chaps. Please keep them coming.

I'll need to have the dealer where I bought my BBS wheels from parallel import either the PS4S or the PSS .. long story but the short of it is the local Michelin dealer won't bring in PSS anymore nor do they want to bring in PS4S in 18s... @$$#0!&$....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had all three, plus Hankook RS3, tracked on all of them except the PS4S (last set before I sold the car).

The PS2s were old when I got them, so not a fair comparison. The PSS were miles better, but probably just because they were fresher. PSS had better cold and wet grip compared to the RS3, but the RS3 held up significantly better on track in the heat, and to my butt the RS3 had a little more ultimate grip. The PSS would overheat after a couple laps if it was more than 80 degrees out.

My immediate reaction when I got the PS4S was that they were a step better than the PSS in pretty much all regards--definitely a lot more traction. The PS4S was marginally more expensive than the PSS, but I would say they were worth it. For the street, I would 100% go PS4S. Not sure if they hold up better in the heat on track than the PSS, but a safe bet for track use is the RS3 or RS4. Very durable, economical track tire with very consistent performance (lap times all within 0.2s after warmup on a 90+ deg day).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Good question and good information. I'm interested in the PS4S compared to the Goodyear F1. I have them from the factory like many do and just wondering if the F1 is equal or not. I receive Goodyear retiree benefits (I'm not old enough to retire yet, but I do get the discounts) and tire discounts will save me about $450 for the F1 as opposed to the PS4S from Tire Rack.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This youtube channel has a couple or few videos on the PS4S and the guy seems like a proper tire nerd, so maybe check out his channel for some insight. Links below.

FWIW, I love my PS4S set for a daily, street driven car, albeit one that is driven con mucho gusto at times.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport
8-way High Performance Summer Street Tire Test
I did see that video, just thought I would get some info on them on the back of the OP's thread, from real world users. :D

Reactions: seal_clubb3r

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had all three, plus Hankook RS3, tracked on all of them except the PS4S (last set before I sold the car).

The PS2s were old when I got them, so not a fair comparison. The PSS were miles better, but probably just because they were fresher. PSS had better cold and wet grip compared to the RS3, but the RS3 held up significantly better on track in the heat, and to my butt the RS3 had a little more ultimate grip. The PSS would overheat after a couple laps if it was more than 80 degrees out.

My immediate reaction when I got the PS4S was that they were a step better than the PSS in pretty much all regards--definitely a lot more traction. The PS4S was marginally more expensive than the PSS, but I would say they were worth it. For the street, I would 100% go PS4S. Not sure if they hold up better in the heat on track than the PSS, but a safe bet for track use is the RS3 or RS4. Very durable, economical track tire with very consistent performance (lap times all within 0.2s after warmup on a 90+ deg day).
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll definitely look at bringing in the PS4S when my current tires need a change. I just got a pair of front PSS 245/40 to replace the PSS 225/40 so it'll be a while from now.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good question and good information. I'm interested in the PS4S compared to the Goodyear F1. I have them from the factory like many do and just wondering if the F1 is equal or not. I receive Goodyear retiree benefits (I'm not old enough to retire yet, but I do get the discounts) and tire discounts will save me about $450 for the F1 as opposed to the PS4S from Tire Rack.
I don't know about the current model of F1 but a long while back when GY brought out the F1 Assy, I thought they were excellent even on B-roads.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This youtube channel has a couple or few videos on the PS4S and the guy seems like a proper tire nerd, so maybe check out his channel for some insight. Links below.

FWIW, I love my PS4S set for a daily, street driven car, albeit one that is driven con mucho gusto at times.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport
8-way High Performance Summer Street Tire Test
I watched these vids as well. I like this guy's reviews. Appears to be less commercially biased.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I don't know about the current model of F1 but a long while back when GY brought out the F1 Assy, I thought they were excellent even on B-roads.
I don’t have any complaints other than the tire skipping on hard turns but it sounds like that is the car, the way the camber does on full lock turns, and not the tires. I’ll probably go back with them and save some cash. I do like the looks of the Michelin better though. Always have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts