Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had PSE installed in my red and black 2013 Boxster S, 6 speed manual.
Total cost, about 3700 with black exhaust tips.
Results: My anemic sounding car now sounds like a sports car. What a wonderful difference! Best drive this afternoon on this beautiful NH summer day.
Two years wasted with the standard exhaust.

Money well spent. and i don't like loud exhausts such as Borla. The hidden sports car has been unmasked with PSE.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Congrats, but sounds a little expensive. Suncoast has the exhaust for $2500~. So $1200 for installation?

Had PSE installed in my red and black 2013 Boxster S, 6 speed manual.
Total cost, about 3700 with black exhaust tips.
Results: My anemic sounding car now sounds like a sports car. What a wonderful difference! Best drive this afternoon on this beautiful NH summer day.
Two years wasted with the standard exhaust.

Money well spent. and i don't like loud exhausts such as Borla. The hidden sports car has been unmasked with PSE.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been meaning to get this done. How is the noise level inside your car compared to stock with the PSE off?
Deeper tone. What the standard exhaust should have been. Perfect for cruising. No annoyance.
it has turned my luxury roadster ( ugh) into a sports car. PSE on, auditory delight! Rediscovering my car. It is that dramatic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats, but sounds a little expensive. Suncoast has the exhaust for $2500~. So $1200 for installation?
I assume that was done at a dealer. I wonder if they would be cool with me installing the exhaust myself and then having them program the button.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suncoast has PSE advertised for ~ 2 k and the black tips for ~ 600. Dealer charged me 3100 for PSE and installation and i suppled the tips because they were on backorder with my dealer and Suncoast had them. So installation cost was 1100.
Well worth it to me. I love PSE.

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume that was done at a dealer. I wonder if they would be cool with me installing the exhaust myself and then having them program the button.
Had it done at a dealer, Porsche of Nashua. They did a superb job. If you can handle it, you can save some money. Was beyond my skill set.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was under the impression that if you installed PSE after the car was built that you could not incorporate the exhaust on/off button, is this possible?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
dealer will put in the button and program the car for it. If you dont have the button, the exhaust stays closed all the time (unless you retro it). They say the way PSE works is more gas is used to make the sound.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
dealer will put in the button and program the car for it. If you dont have the button, the exhaust stays closed all the time (unless you retro it). They say the way PSE works is more gas is used to make the sound.
Could I just change my diet to get the same effect?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was under the impression that if you installed PSE after the car was built that you could not incorporate the exhaust on/off button, is this possible?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Retrofit is same as ordering PSE from the factory. Highly recommended if not a must have.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
That might spoil the lines of the car. I guess PSE is the better option.

·
Registered
562 Posts
They say the way PSE works is more gas is used to make the sound.
BS ... who is they? PSE opens a valve in the exhaust that allows a more direct path for the exhaust.

·
Registered
299 Posts
BS ... who is they? PSE opens a valve in the exhaust that allows a more direct path for the exhaust.
I think he was talking about the burbles and backfires that come along with pressing sports plus (with SC).

That is my understanding as well, it lets fuel past to burn after combustion on declaration. The small amount of fuel used to do this IS WORTH IT FOR THE SOUND!

One downside: exhaust tips getting dirty quickly. I can live with that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think he was talking about the burbles and backfires that come along with pressing sports plus (with SC).

That is my understanding as well, it lets fuel past to burn after combustion on declaration. The small amount of fuel used to do this IS WORTH IT FOR THE SOUND!

I think the armytrix exhaust is nice for an after market exhaust since you can turn it on and off and get a little hp boost as well. The most appealing thing about pse for me was the on/off option.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Being very frugal all my life, it was hard for me to imagine buying a new 981 with it at that price level. But when I flipped and bought this one used, it already had it. What a game changer!! (Along with with our retirement income, which now significantly exceeds our income when working). Now, I would never buy another Porsche sports car without PSE (and at least a 6 cylinder).

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Black exhaust tips hide the soot.

·
Registered
380 Posts

To each his own... I do really enjoy the sound of the PSE /symposer on my CGTS, but I wish I could turn off those burbles and backfires. Sorry, but to me all that drama during deceleration just sounds like a poorly tuned engine to me. The PSE on acceleration is fantastic, but I actually find it kind of embarrassing to be making all that backfire noise in traffic.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts