Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow 981 owners, looking for some exhaust help here. I currently have the PSE hooked up to Cargraphic headers on my Boxster S, and it drones pretty bad in both 6th and 7th gear between 2000 and 2800 rpm. I am wondering if anyone has upgraded to a different exhaust from the PSE? What exhaust did you end up with and did it help with the drone? Also, can someone help with a list of 981 exhausts that can make use of the PSE button in the car? Thanks!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi fellow 981 owners, looking for some exhaust help here. I currently have the PSE hooked up to Cargraphic headers on my Boxster S, and it drones pretty bad in both 6th and 7th gear between 2000 and 2800 rpm. I am wondering if anyone has upgraded to a different exhaust from the PSE? What exhaust did you end up with and did it help with the drone? Also, can someone help with a list of 981 exhausts that can make use of the PSE button in the car? Thanks!
I've done extensive research and have had an aftermarket system and it seems that no matter what every aftermarket system has drone. The PSE is supposed to have the least although members have reported drone both in the "on" and "off" setting. Did you have drone prior to the headers? I believe cargraphic and aprokovic have exhaust systems with valves that can be activated / de-activated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the drone was there before the headers. Akrapovic is out of the the question because it costs $7000!! I have the cash, but it just seems crazy to pay that much for an exhaust. I got a quote for the Cargraphic exhaust and it comes out to about $3000 with the current exchange rate. Does anyone know if that system also drones? Another system that I am thinking about is the Capristo. Does anyone have experience upgrading from the PSE to this? Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure why you would upgrade from PSE. It's the best sounding, best engineering exhaust for this car, and it is somewhat reasonably priced. If anything, I might consider adding a set of headers to the exhaust to open up the sound a bit, but that's about it. The Fabspeed headers are also very good for this car and pair well with the PSE, though I suspect you will get a little drone with them as well.

If you want zero drone, you can either stick with the base exhaust, or PSE (with stock headers). Unfortunately you can't have it both ways here (crazy loud at high rpms, quiet with zero drone at low rpms).

·
Registered
507 Posts
if you get a valved exhaust I think you can actually have it both ways.

IPE seems like a good option, if you have it on auto mode it will have closed valves at whatever RPM you program, and then it will open up with you want it.

lets sayyyy quiet until 4k, opens at 4k and wails.

This would be my best option, I think i was quoted around 3500 for the IPE valved catback (which is still insane, but...people will pay that much)

·
Registered
534 Posts
if you get a valved exhaust I think you can actually have it both ways.

IPE seems like a good option, if you have it on auto mode it will have closed valves at whatever RPM you program, and then it will open up with you want it.

lets sayyyy quiet until 4k, opens at 4k and wails.

This would be my best option, I think i was quoted around 3500 for the IPE valved catback (which is still insane, but...people will pay that much)
Right, but you do realize he already has a valved exhaust (PSE) with aftermarket headers and he says it already drones too much. Changing it to an aftermarket exhaust is only going to make the problem worse.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have Fabspeed Sport headers/cats and the stock factory non-PSE muffler and Fabspeed tips (installed by Fabspeed). I am very happy with them. My PDK car is OK most of the time. However, in the mountains on a 8% grade at 2000 RPM, lugging a bit, the car does drone at some throttle positions.

I think all exhausts will drone, the only issue is how much and under what conditions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't remember the aftermarket headers making too much of a difference with the drone levels with the PSE both off and on. I am now in the process of contacting my Cargraphic salesperson in Germany. Perhaps he would have tested the different combinations during development. I am hoping that matching the Cargraphic headers with a Cargraphic exhaust will improve the drone. With the Euro being so low, it might be worth the $2500 as an experiment. Will report my findings.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I never keep my car running in the 2000 to 2800 RPM range. I run 3000 or higher at all times.
Some are running it lower to save gas, but at 2000 you will be lugging your engine. You can expect some drone from any exhaust, some less than others, at low RPM's. Sounds like you have a great exhaust set up now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am only at 2000 rpm when I am driving long distance doing 75 mph in 7th gear. Lately, I have just been going into manual mode and downshifting to 6th to keep the engine at around 2900-3000 rpm. This gets rid of the drone, but the mpg drops from 32 to 26. The cost is not the real issue, it's the environmentally friendly part of me that thinks if I can spend 2-3K on a different exhaust to reduce this droning, it might be worth it so that I can stay in 7th gear while driving on the highway. With regards to lugging the engine at 2000 rpm, I don't think Porsche would program their PDK or gear it this way if it was considered lugging an engine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you get Capristo curious to hear your thoughts. I've been thinking of switching from PSE...for more volume... and fun...

comet

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just finished installing the Cargraphic valved exhaust on my 981CS. Big improvement in the sound so far! Drone???......Really no different than OEM but maybe slightly louder. Will get it out this weekend for some high RPM runs and report back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Decided to go with the TUV Sound version of the Cargraphic valved exhaust. Will report back with an update once the exhaust arrives from Germany and I get it installed.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
All exhausts have some drone.

Even my stock exhaust on a 2.7L has done going up steep hills in 7th gear and specific weather conditions. On a trip through Virginia, it did get to the point I intentionally stayed in higher RPM, but otherwise its never really a problem. Worst is having a headache already and then hearing the drone. That said, I like a little drone, but nothing that gives headaches. I plan to put in a cargraphic in later to get a bit more sound and a bit more drone isn't going to bother me. I have a Boxster and people say it has less cabin drone than Cayman though.

803 Posts
Hello All,

The 981 exhaust system by design is very prone to exhaust drone. Our Maxflo system has been designed to minimize the cabin drone as much as possible while providing an increase in exhaust tone and performance. The majority of our customers who wish to avoid any drone over factory have found our Sport Headers to be a great selection to gain more power and sound. Please PM me with any questions on the topic or our products and I will try to address them as thoroughly as possible.

Thank you!

Porsche 981 (2013+) exhaust, Intake and ECU upgrades

1 - 15 of 15 Posts