Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering retrofitting PSE and was curious if anyone has the Porsche install instructions?

I know the car has to be reprogrammed by the dealer (that's a given), but I am wondering how much of the work can be done outside of the dealer and what the scope is.

If the entire car has to be torn apart I may not want to do it regardless of who does the swap.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. Finally located it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes please, I also would like to know where one can find the install instructions. I just received the PSE for my 981 CS from Suncoast and unpacked the exhaust system - no instructions or parts list was included. This is a bit disappointing considering the cost. My install is scheduled for next week at an independent shop. Now I have to take time out of my day to drive over there and show these guys the myriad of other parts and confirm whether they do or do not need the instructions. Seems complicated to me, but these guys install all kinds of upgrades and exhausts so maybe it is not too bad. But if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated! I will make a call into Suncoast anyway tomorrow and try that route as well.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't think many people realize that you need to the switch install for the PSE that has to be more or less be installed by the Porsche dealer(unless the indy shop has software to do it. The physical taking on and off the cat back exhaust is not the tough part. The switch involves wiring / cutting / and programming. I'm not sure a thorough DIY of this topic actually exists.

Here is a DIY on swapping the exhaust (sans the switch) that I wrote up a few years ago:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-discussion/103208-removing-exhaust.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually have an appointment scheduled with a shop next week to do the install of the exhaust, and with a local Porsche dealership the following day to do the install/programming of the button. Instructions would be helpful in case the independent shop needs to reference something given all of the parts that came with the package (other than the mufflers, pipes, console and button, it is difficult to determine what all of the other components are needed for and how they should be installed without some reference material).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any updates on this can’t seem to find any information about wiring the switch and routing the vacuum lines?

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
84 Posts
Any updates on this can’t seem to find any information about wiring the switch and routing the vacuum lines?
I did a DIY PSE install on my 981CS two years ago that I purchased from Suncoast. I requested and they emailed installation instructions and I also downloaded a guide that PG-IN posted that detailed with actual photos the trim removal and I used both guides for the installation. I will search and see if I can find both guides when I get a chance.

For me the installation of the exhaust system was the quickest part. In summary: You have to remove the driver’s seat to access a control unit that routes a wire that connects to the fuse box by the passenger side tail light. So all the trim behind the seat and engine cover and behind the engine is removed to route the wire. For the vacuum you switch a changeover valve on top of the engine and route the line on top of the transmission that goes to a T that runs to each muffler. The consol trim is removed to install the new switch panel. The new panel comes with all the possible option buttons for both 981/991 and you install the ones for your existing options and install the new PSE button in the second slot from the top and move the Auto stop/start button down to the 3rd spot. The only thing the dealer will have to do is initilize the button you can have everything else complete and ready.

The Suncoast kit came complete with everything needed including the switch panel and even the zip ties to run the wires. I went ahead and installed new Soul X pipe at the same time.
Jim

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the reply and if you find those it would be a great help. Is the control unit behind the drivers side seat on the firewall or in the driver side footwell? If it’s on the firewall I think I may be able to do it without removing the seat. Also did you have Porsche recode the dme for all the crackles and pops that come with the PSE?

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
84 Posts
Thanks for the reply and if you find those it would be a great help. Is the control unit behind the drivers side seat on the firewall or in the driver side footwell? If it’s on the firewall I think I may be able to do it without removing the seat. Also did you have Porsche recode the dme for all the crackles and pops that come with the PSE?
The control unit is under the drivers seat so no way to do it without removing the seat and getting under the carpet. I did not give instructions to the dealership but I think the crackles and pops come automatically when you put it in Sport Mode, I know mine did. I sent you an IM with the guide but here it is also. I was not yet able to find the guide by PG-IN and it might be in the articles section but that is not so easy to find with active pictures since the site has been updated, so you might contact him as his guide was very helpful especially with the trim removal.

This is a good time to service your air filters if you need to because you will be right beside them with everything removed.;) Also, the guide below is for a Cayman, the Boxster would be a little different routing the wire with regard to the convertible top.
Jim

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts