Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During 24 mos Service I asked that Dealer to check the PSE. It did not seem to be changing tone with buttons on/off
Technican found that the
PSE
vac control solenoid was not functioning. PSE stayed ON (open??? - loud mode:dance:) regardless of PSE button position or sport+ setting. Rescheduled Dealer visit (4 hr RTrip :() for next week for 1 hr warranty fix.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did they just change the valve or the whole muffle system?

lemon
Lemon,

Supposedly it is just the solenoid that activates the value so this is part ordered and ONLY thing to be changed. Let's hope. They checked exhaust and everything worked valve/vacuum wise, just no elec activation.

Stay tuned - to be fixed Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Drive in the rain recently? If the atmospheric port gets water, the solenoid will fail. Common problem and most dealers have them in stock as there are multiple of the same valve used throughout the car.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Drive in the rain recently? If the atmospheric port gets water, the solenoid will fail. Common problem and most dealers have them in stock as there are multiple of the same valve used throughout the car.
I drive in rain and snow and slush 100+ times a year...and my PSE solenoid hasn't failed. Is the solenoid actually exposed to the elements?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I drive in rain and snow and slush 100+ times a year...and my PSE solenoid hasn't failed. Is the solenoid actually exposed to the elements?
I do as well with no issues. I know the actuators are exposed to the weather, but not sure about the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Today LG had its PSE solenoid controller replaced under warranty. No charge to me obviously but it did cost Porsche $30 in parts with a $180 net total; About a 2 hour visit at Dealer.

FEI: I commented to Service Manager about the involved effort/complexity in releasing the top's rear attachment aka setting it to service position for engine access. He said Porsche has redesigned said attachment process/mechanism in newer 981s; He said the service techs are so much happier.;)
LG's roar with all the pops and burbles is back to normal.:dance: Drove home in Sports + and with the 60 degrees/misting humidity atmosphere she ran and sounded oh so great.:drivingskid:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
A vacuum actuator (or actually an Electric Change over valve) uses vacuum to control a mechanical device like a flapper valve. Once vacuum is applied, how you you release the vacuum without opening the line to air?

Campaign W43 for early 991s had all 8 of them replaced in the car because they had issues with failures (the port was more open to water). I personally had one fail when I drove on an interstate highway in a heavy downpour with water shooting out horizontally from my wheel wells five feet! There is a cap over the port on the new design to help protect from water ingress, but it can't be sealed.

There are two on the side of the PDK transmission for valves that control water through the two heat exchangers and one for the intake flapper valve on S and GTS models, and at least one for PSE. I think there is another related to other cooling system and one for A/C. All the same part number.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Campaign W43 for early 991s had all 8 of them replaced in the car because they had issues with failures (the port was more open to water). I personally had one fail when I drove on an interstate highway in a heavy downpour with water shooting out horizontally from my wheel wells five feet! There is a cap over the port on the new design to help protect from water ingress, but it can't be sealed.

There are two on the side of the PDK transmission for valves that control water through the two heat exchangers and one for the intake flapper valve on S and GTS models, and at least one for PSE. I think there is another related to other cooling system and one for A/C. All the same part number.
Good info. I'm in a 997.2 with PSE and 6-speed. Haven't seen any solenoid issues reported prior to this thread...perhaps a new 991/981 design that introduced a problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts