Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has probably been beat to death BUT... in a new unit of time, I'd like some more sound coming out of my 981 base Cayman am looking at the costs of installing the PSE (expensive, dealer required etc...) or a Fabspeed Maxflow (less expensive, I can install it, sell it later if I sell the car etc...).

I am aware of the 2000 RPM drone with the PSE but who the heck let's their revs drop that low in their cars? Even the standard exhaust has a slight drone at 2000 RPMs when the PDK is in auto mode.

Thoughts? Looking for used Fabspeed if possible...

Tku.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you can find a used one, then I'd jump on it. If you wind up buying new, I'd recommend you spend the extra $500 and get the Tracktec Valved system that includes a wireless key fob to open and close the valves. Caveat with this, is that it would need to be wired into power somehow so it might be beyond your installation comfort level.

Edit: Regarding drone-- yes it exists and more so with PDK vs Manual. It's quite possible that it would be too annoying for your tastes. It definitely bothered me (and especially the fiance) at first, but now I just crank up the music.

Also, you will find other threads on this topic-- you could also consider aftermarket headers instead of an exhaust. You will achieve a louder, more aggressive sound with more HP and with no change to drone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to have the Fabspeed on my 987.1 Boxster S and it pushed the power band up the rev range - probably due to the wider diameter tubing - and it droned quite a bit. Good for track work but not for daily driving because you lose low end torque.

I would go with the PSE or if you want to save money - get the Carnewal modded stock exhaust.

P81 Carnewal GT Exhaust - Carnewal

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I went from a standard exhaust to the FabSpeed MaxFlo. I have had quite a few posts about that, but the synopsis is that the drone with the MaxFlo was just too uncomfortable for both my wife and me. Top down with my Boxster S was really good, and the sound outside the car was perfect. With the top closed however, the drone was intrusive and actually hurt the driving experience for me. Everyone is different, but I went back to my stock system and am glad I did.

Someone made the the suggestion to find a used one, and that is a great idea if you can find what you want.

Reactions: darcus

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can find a used one, then I'd jump on it. If you wind up buying new, I'd recommend you spend the extra $500 and get the Tracktec Valved system that includes a wireless key fob to open and close the valves. Caveat with this, is that it would need to be wired into power somehow so it might be beyond your installation comfort level.

Edit: Regarding drone-- yes it exists and more so with PDK vs Manual. It's quite possible that it would be too annoying for your tastes. It definitely bothered me (and especially the fiance) at first, but now I just crank up the music.

Also, you will find other threads on this topic-- you could also consider aftermarket headers instead of an exhaust. You will achieve a louder, more aggressive sound with more HP and with no change to drone.
Great idea. I was considering Fabspeed headers on my Spyder befroe I sold it.

I've just had a member offer me a lightly used one and am epxploring this option.

I've heard about the dreaded drone being worse in the PDK but my caveat on that is that I never drive it in auto so I keep the revs high.

Thanks for your thoughts...

I used to have the Fabspeed on my 987.1 Boxster S and it pushed the power band up the rev range - probably due to the wider diameter tubing - and it droned quite a bit. Good for track work but not for daily driving because you lose low end torque.

I would go with the PSE or if you want to save money - get the Carnewal modded stock exhaust.

P81 Carnewal GT Exhaust - Carnewal
Now this is an interesting option to consider as well. I checked out Cantrel Morotsports who has the license with Carnewal here in the PNW and they are literally just twenty minutes from my Seattle office. This could work too.

I also drive my Cayman daily and do not want to lose any of it's hard to come by low end torque.

Thank you.

I went from a standard exhaust to the FabSpeed MaxFlo. I have had quite a few posts about that, but the synopsis is that the drone with the MaxFlo was just too uncomfortable for both my wife and me. Top down with my Boxster S was really good, and the sound outside the car was perfect. With the top closed however, the drone was intrusive and actually hurt the driving experience for me. Everyone is different, but I went back to my stock system and am glad I did.

Someone made the the suggestion to find a used one, and that is a great idea if you can find what you want.
Yes, I have found one at a generous offer from a member here.

My wife never drives in the car and I use it many in manual mode. In auto mode there is a slight percepable drone at lower revs wtih the stock exhaust but as mentioned I never drive it in that mode. I love driving it I never manual and using the paddles.

Thanks for your insight.

Reactions: sx797

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've owned Fabspeed maxflo on my 964 for 8 years, then on my Cayman s for close to 2 years now. It was pretty loud on the 911. Liked the sound though. A little mellower on the Cayman but I like the tone as well, about half way between PSE in normal and sport. Mine only drones under from about 2500 to 2800 rpm and only if the engine is lugging like 55 mph in 6th gear. My solution? Just drop it into 5th. Think I paid $1100 for it in used near new condition. As far as the PSE, I think it is too loud in sport mode. Fabspeed claims some modest HP gains and I can tell you for a fact that it is a lot lighter than stock.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I made a thread on this, but the consensus is that you can just buy the PSE and put only the mufflers on and it will be in "on" mode all the time. Then if that's too much, then you have the dealer install the vacuum lines, switch and reprogram the ECU so that it can be turned on/off.

But if you wait, chances are an aftermarket Cayman exhaust will come up for sale soon. I've seen thread after thread of people going back to stock because aftermarket is too loud or drones too much. For every new aftermarket exhaust bought, it seems that 50% of them come back up for sale, lol.

·
Incurable Gearhead
1,007 Posts
...I checked out Cantrel Morotsports who has the license with Carnewal here in the PNW and they are literally just twenty minutes from my Seattle office...
Do it. No brainer.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I know this subject has probably been beat to death BUT... in a new unit of time, I'd like some more sound coming out of my 981 base Cayman am looking at the costs of installing the PSE (expensive, dealer required etc...) or a Fabspeed Maxflow (less expensive, I can install it, sell it later if I sell the car etc...).

I am aware of the 2000 RPM drone with the PSE but who the heck let's their revs drop that low in their cars? Even the standard exhaust has a slight drone at 2000 RPMs when the PDK is in auto mode.

Thoughts? Looking for used Fabspeed if possible...

Tku.
PSE is quite loud when the top is up in my Boxster and it booms when the rpms are below 3000 or so. It sounds wonderful to me when the top is down and in non-sport mode. But top up, the cabin is a very noisy and quite unpleasant even when it is off. In sport mode there is too much crackling and backfiring sounds. I don't like it. I was very excited initially about PSE but I think it is a mixed bag. Mind my age though. I am in mid fifities so my tolerance for loud cars is not that high. My next Porsche will not have the SE.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK! Update! Just picked a nicely used / broken in Fabspeed Maxflow for a GREAT price. It's on a FEDEX truck as we speak and should arrive next week at Cantrel Motorsports for a Friday installation AND leaving the stock system for a Carnewal upgrade. I'll try out the Maxflow and if the drone drivers me nuts I'll swap them out.

Thanks for all the comments guys! They really helped.

I've give a report when we're on the road next Friday.

Now to find some used Fabspeed 200 Cell cat headers... :)

Reactions: halcyon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do it. No brainer.
Yes. I attempted but Cantrel MS has no Carnewal's in stock so it's a 3-week wait and a 6 hour process to drop off my car, then pick it up.

I think I have a GREAT solution as in my last post! Fabspeed on it's way!

Reactions: Arch
915 Posts

Nicely said! The TrackTec is a great bang for the buck upgrade when buying new, and I actually have a few clients of mine who have synced our control module frequency with the Homelink garage door buttons haha.

I am a huge supporter of headers being the first upgrade. They are by far the biggest restriction point on the Boxster/Cayman platform, so they pick up the most horsepower and have the least effect on sound level in the cabin. That's not to say they don't effect the sound though, the exhaust sounds much throatier and higher pitched when on the gas. The extent of which will vary depending on catless or high flow catted headers, and whether or not the car is equipped with PSE. Best overall exhaust sound for a daily driver that I've ever heard to this day on the Boxster/Cayman platform was a set of our Race Headers with PSE, followed closely by a set of our Sport Headers with our Valved Exhaust System.

I've owned Fabspeed maxflo on my 964 for 8 years, then on my Cayman s for close to 2 years now. It was pretty loud on the 911. Liked the sound though. A little mellower on the Cayman but I like the tone as well, about half way between PSE in normal and sport. Mine only drones under from about 2500 to 2800 rpm and only if the engine is lugging like 55 mph in 6th gear. My solution? Just drop it into 5th. Think I paid $1100 for it in used near new condition. As far as the PSE, I think it is too loud in sport mode. Fabspeed claims some modest HP gains and I can tell you for a fact that it is a lot lighter than stock.
Great to hear you've been with us for so long! Appreciate you chiming in, and if you'd like to do any further upgrades to the 964 or Cayman drop me a line any time :cheers:

OK! Update! Just picked a nicely used / broken in Fabspeed Maxflow for a GREAT price. It's on a FEDEX truck as we speak and should arrive next week at Cantrel Motorsports for a Friday installation AND leaving the stock system for a Carnewal upgrade. I'll try out the Maxflow and if the drone drivers me nuts I'll swap them out.

Thanks for all the comments guys! They really helped.

I've give a report when we're on the road next Friday.

Now to find some used Fabspeed 200 Cell cat headers... :)
Looking forward to hearing how you like our Maxflo system, and what a nice comparison you'll have going on with the Carnewal! Shooting you over a PM about those headers, would love to have you running our full setup : )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.