Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 (981) Cayman GTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, first time Porsche owner, first time poster so go easy :)

I'm sure this has been done to death but I haven't found the thread on it yet.

981 Cayman GTS - The PSE valves are stuck open and guessing from the amount of driving its done in the last 2 years they have corroded/ rusted in position while sitting.
I've done some trouble shooting and it doesn't seem to be a vacuum issue.

My question is, what kind of techniques have people used to get them moving again?

I've been spraying the actuator area with penetrating oil for 2 days and using an adjustable spanner to try and lever it, but not even a sniff of movement... Rock solid! I'm told with the engine off it should move freely although spring loaded when working normally.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
127 Posts
In the early 70’s while in college I worked as a mechanic and some of the cars had a spring loaded heat riser butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold outlet to route exhaust through the intake to speed warm up. We used a product called heat riser lubricant that was a high temperature penetrating lubricant that would free up frozen valves. I don’t know if this is still available but I remember it as being effective.
In an attempt to free up the valve I have found the PB Blaster to be the most effective penetrating oil that I currently use but the problem that I see is that only one side of the shaft can be sprayed and the other end appears to be in a cup and the shaft is not exposed to spray. As a last resort a small hole could be drilled into the cup to allow PB Blaster to loosen up the inaccessible shaft. I did inspect my PSE and not that if you can slightly open the valve you can move the shaft in out about 1/8” that should help free it up if you can get it slightly open.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts