Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I like my PSE but am curious as to the difference an aftermarket system would make.

Wrongly or rightly I have assumed most people fitting the after market systems are doing so from a base exhaust system, which is understandable as the base system doesnt provide alot of aural pleasure.

However, my questions is; is it worth making the move to an aftermarket system from PSE? I heards that remus are OEM to Porsche anyway, does that mean PSE is equivilent to the Remus sound?? Can I retain the OEM switch functionality? I've also heard that there is a fuse you can remove to boost low speed volumes, is this true?

I know exhausts have been discussed alot but it isn't clear to me reading through the previous threads whether people are moving from base or PSE or if that would be seen as a waste of cash... thx all! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi G-Money,

Here is a link to sound clips of most of the popular exhausts including the PSE:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/21742-exhaust-sound-collection.html

I can't think why anybody would want to change from the PSE.

I would gladly bite your arm off for a PSE. :)

I have the standard exhaust on my CS and asked last week for a quote from my local dealer and was quoted £2,800 including fitting and this is to a car that already has sports chrono pack. :eek:

I will have a Remus fitted soon at a fitted cost of £1,050, much more resonable.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tonysim.

So to avoid me misunderstanding. Are you saying you would prefer a PSE to an aftermarket solution? Or that you would 'bite my hand off' if you had stock/base system?

Do you know anything about the fuse thing, does this simply negate the need to press the button or does this amplify both settings? thx again

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I would say the main benefit of PSE is the absence of drone. So ppl who only switch for the sound will want to keep PSE. Otherwise aftermarket exhausts provide good hp gains!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
As Nitro says the PSE has no drone "issues".

The aftermarket systems are louder and give great hp gains compared to the PSE which has no performance increase. The good thing with the PSE is you have no warranty issues and you can switch between quiet and "loud" (which is relative) modes, where as most aftermarket solutions are loud all the time.

Not sure I would swap over from PSE, unless you prefer a louder, better (IMO only) exhaust note or want to unlock some more power.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot chaps I think that clears it up for me - I'll stick to PSE until I feel I need the power boost.

On the fuse issue does anyone know anything about this, I seem to remember reading that the baffles only open over 30 mph or something, and that removing the fuse means you get more noise below 30mph - am I talking rubbish?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
As was said above and by many others Porsche says that the PSE does not increase horsepower. I was told by the dealership that there actually is a modest HP increase with PSE but that Porsche does not say so or advertise it as so because that would mean they would have to re-certify or go through some government red tape over the different system.

Does anyone know the truth to this matter?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
As was said above and by many others Porsche says that the PSE does not increase horsepower. I was told by the dealership that there actually is a modest HP increase with PSE but that Porsche does not say so or advertise it as so because that would mean they would have to re-certify or go through some government red tape over the different system.

Thanks!
I highly doubt it. If this were the case then why would ANY company that manufactures aftermarket exhausts make any claims about horsepower gains?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I think that a company manufacturing aftermarket exhausts has no worries. An auto manufacturer, however, has to comply with emissions standards, mileage standards, etc, etc, --lots of government red tape. Certifying a car and repeating it with different options might be a cumbersome process. I don't know and am just repeating what was told to me and it seems to make some sense. Whether it is true or not, I don't know. I guess the only way to tell would be to dyno a stock Cayman S and one with the PSE.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The PSE is a Sport exhaust upgrade offered by Porsche themselves. It is homologated for street usage in Europe. TUV homologation is very expensive and only a few high end companies in Europe even bother to be TUV compliant (REMUS, Eisenmann, Bastuck, SuperSprint). These 4 manufacturers provide most of the tuner exhaust systems on the market today (TechArt, ABT, AC Schnitzer, Brabus, Kleeman, Oettinger, Hamman, AMG, Gemballa, etc.) and between themselves cover most of the European OEM market as well.

While REMUS does make a lot of exhaust systems in the OEM world, the parameters under which they are developped vary tremendeously between OEM applications and aftermarket applications. For instance, the REMUS RACE for the Cayman Gen I and Gen II are not TUV homologated. They exceed the sound emission standards and remove the secondary catalytic converters for extra performance gains, something the PSE does not.

You can achieve a SPORT tone similar to the PSE with the performance gains of a regular aftermarket system. The Supersprint Sport system and Milltek Sport system comes to mind. They are fairly quiet but provide similar gains to the other aftermarket systems as they delete the catalytic converters.

I hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I was told by the dealership that there actually is a modest HP increase with PSE

The Porsche Technical guy I know confirmed there is no increase.

The increase if any is tiny, because if you look at the PSE system the only difference over standard is a couple of small diameter bypass pipes, which will provide a small performance improvment as the exhaust gases skip the baffles, but it really would be tiny. You really need high flow cats or removal of them and removal of the cross-flow pipe between the left and right mufflers on the system to achieve real gains.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
FWIW, the HP rating for the 2008 Cayman S Sport is 303hp vs 295hp for the regular 2008 Cayman S not sure if the HP rating difference is due to any DME engine mapping changes on the S Sport.

What I do know is that the 08 CS Sport came with PSE, Sports Chrono and the Boxster RS60 exhaust tips as standard equipment.

That being said the Porsche Design Edition CS was rated at 295hp and IIRC that particular car also came with PSE standard.

So I am curious where the extra 8 hp came from, PSE exhaust, exhaust tips, DME or perhaps something else?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
So I am curious where the extra 8 hp came from, PSE exhaust, exhaust tips, DME or perhaps something else?
Almost certainly a tweak of the map, and I am sure a parts check on the ECU part numbers would show a difference there, which one might say is signs of different mapping.

The Boxster RS60 also got the same power hike, but do very little to nothing and it has to be a remap, as 8hp is well within the remap gains.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
You can achieve a SPORT tone similar to the PSE with the performance gains of a regular aftermarket system. The Supersprint Sport system and Milltek Sport system comes to mind. They are fairly quiet but provide similar gains to the other aftermarket systems as they delete the catalytic converters.
I can attest to this as I have the Milltek. It is a little louder than the base exhaust, it's lighter and makes more hp.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What it all comes down to for me is dealer issues. I have a new Spyder on order and I added the PSE for that reason alone. I added an aftermarket exhaust system to my 08 STI and although I haven't had any issues yet, I know if I do, I'm going to have problems with warranty work. There are no "MOD" friendly dealers in my area, I have talked to everyone of them. I did keep all my stock parts, so changing all that out to revert back to "stock" is an option, but isn't one I'm would look forward to do.

You will save $$ going with an aftermarket system vs the PSE, the question you should ask yourself is, is that savings worth any possible issues you will have with the dealer down the road? Also, if you are to add aftermarket parts, adding an extended warranty could be a big waste of money.

I know I will hear from all those that state the legislation that requires the dealer to prove that aftermarket parts you added did in fact cause the failure, but to be honest, I feel the dealer will win that fight most of the time. There are threads in this forum that talk about the GT3 rear main seal failure and if the owners had an aftermarket exhaust, dealers would not cover the work and voided the warranty. I'm sure that repair cost was 2-3 times the cost savings of going with a PSE VS aftermarket. Just my 2 cents..

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
What it all comes down to for me is dealer issues. I have a new Spyder on order and I added the PSE for that reason alone. I added an aftermarket exhaust system to my 08 STI and although I haven't had any issues yet, I know if I do, I'm going to have problems with warranty work. There are no "MOD" friendly dealers in my area, I have talked to everyone of them. I did keep all my stock parts, so changing all that out to revert back to "stock" is an option, but isn't one I'm would look forward to do.

You will save $$ going with an aftermarket system vs the PSE, the question you should ask yourself is, is that savings worth any possible issues you will have with the dealer down the road? Also, if you are to add aftermarket parts, adding an extended warranty could be a big waste of money.

I know I will hear from all those that state the legislation that requires the dealer to prove that aftermarket parts you added did in fact cause the failure, but to be honest, I feel the dealer will win that fight most of the time. There are threads in this forum that talk about the GT3 rear main seal failure and if the owners had an aftermarket exhaust, dealers would not cover the work and voided the warranty. I'm sure that repair cost was 2-3 times the cost savings of going with a PSE VS aftermarket. Just my 2 cents..
Ditto. That and the drone issue is why I chose the PSE.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FWIW, the HP rating for the 2008 Cayman S Sport is 303hp vs 295hp for the regular 2008 Cayman S not sure if the HP rating difference is due to any DME engine mapping changes on the S Sport.

What I do know is that the 08 CS Sport came with PSE, Sports Chrono and the Boxster RS60 exhaust tips as standard equipment.

That being said the Porsche Design Edition CS was rated at 295hp and IIRC that particular car also came with PSE standard.

Thanks all for your useful comments.

Incidently, the Design Edition didn't come with PSE stock - it had to be optioned. I looked at four before finally finding a DE with the right spec....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts