Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two morning sessions were fine. First afternoon session, about the 3rd lap I see the light go on. I went back to my video and it went on in the straightway after I got a pass signal and floored it. When I pit I recall the message saying PSM Failure, Start/Stop operation deactivated (did not take a pic but someone asked me why I pitted and recorded me saying PSM failure). Restarting the car the message goes away. Second afternoon session, about an hour later, again about the 3rd lap I see the light but I don't know for sure when it started - video was tilted too much to see. It does not seem to be near the same point on the track. After pitting, the message now reads PSM loss, possibly to drive on carefully (took pic to remember) along with the Start/Stop deactivated. Again restarting the issue goes away. I took the message seriously so I drove home (150+miles) no problems, no hesitations, etc.

Searching, it seems that the conventional wisdom points to one of three things:
- brake switch, presumably used by PSM to determine when and how much I am braking
- coil problem, not sure how this is involved in PSM but I mention it because the initial warning went on when flooring the car
- ABS sensor or associated wiring, which makes sense as part of the PSM system

My car is a 2014, and the major service was done in late April 2018.

I use track pads at every event and I zip tie the pad wear sensors to the ABS wire. I never make it tight and there is no pull on the ABS wire. I've done this many times but of course I could have screwed some this time. Still I would think it would have failed from the get-go.

Hopefully the Porsche guys can pull some kind of code as the car is still under warranty. Damn shame as I missed two track days at my fav track (Thunderhill 5 mile).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One addition, I used my Cresetter II to read off the OBD port. It does mention 126 DTCs in the ECU & a Cylinder 6 misfire detected. I guess I will have to regularly start checking for DTCs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Need more info to diagnose this. Any other mods on the car? Intake/exhaust? Software? Brake master cyl? What tire model and sizes are you running? Probably time to get another set of eyes on the car to get it sorted.

·
Registered
34,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aside from the brake pads, the only two additions I made are a 3rd radiator and a X73 suspension change. I'm running 19" Porsche wheels with RE-71Rs.

I did read the coil failure thread and given the cylinder 6 misfire it seems like that is a good candidate. Will know more hopefully this week.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you have not read this thread—https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-problems-and-complaints/236197-strange-limp-mode-issue-today.html—then you may want to. It appears that you have the same problem that ICNU and I experienced, namely, a coil pack failure, but there may be others with so may codes thrown. A coil replacement will be covered under warranty.

If you have aftermarket headers, then a remark I made in the aforesaid thread regarding coil failures and aftermarket headers may be of interest to you.

Please report back when you get the matter resolved, and good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar issue a year ago at a track day on my 2014 Boxster S. Coil #6 failed. Got it replaced Saturday and performance was back on Sunday. It was within 6 Months of my 50,000 mile service but no warranty coverage. Shop said that coil typically fails first as it is exposed to the most heat from the exhaust system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had coil pack 3 fail on the first day of a three day event. I was surprised how many codes it threw plus all the error messages that you described. Luckily there was another 981 who had his coil packs all replaced and he kept them all as spares.

Had a mechanic change the coil pack reset the error codes and I was good to go.

Typically coil packs and spark plugs get changed at the time same time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Coil. I had one go and I keep a spare just in case. Thanks for reminding me I need to put that coil in my track-day go bag.

·
Registered
34,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all the help. Well this morning all hell broke loose (psm failure/psm loss/engine control failure/etc.) so I took it into Fremont Porsche and they replaced coil six - everything back to normal. Their write-up confirms that they swapped 5 and 6 and the fault code switched to 5 so definitely a bad coil. I will have to order a couple and learn how to replace these as well. I was wondering if heat wrap tape on the exhausts would help here as well - any comments.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What does the coil have to do w/ PSM? I had PSM failure 2 weeks ago at Road Atlanta and it turned out to be a bad steering angle sensor, a device under the steering wheel. I had it once before and it was due to the alignment shop not tightening the rear eccentric bolt, allowing the toe to go wacky.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So 4.5 years and 34k miles later, our daily 13 2.7 has PSM loss followed by auto start/stop failure. It's out of warranty by about 6 months. A quick search led me here, so it's either the brake switch, battery or the ignition coils? I am due for spark plugs, and seeing that the service manual is making the ignition coil/spark plug replacement looking real easy, I am tempted to do this myself....havent done anything mechanically to the cars myself tho, just replacement of interior and exterior body parts here and there in the past. How do I determine if it's the brake switch or coils or battery?

The car doesnt show any sign of rough idle, everything feels normal. Does an ignition coil failure feel "normal" while driving?

I will probably need a decent diagnostic tool so i can start to learn some basic DIY and diagnostic...any recommendation? (autel, foxwell, launch etc.) something that will work well with other makes as well

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
You can take your car to a local auto parts shop and a generic scan tool should be able to point out the problem. There are standard OBDII codes for most of the ECU-related problems. If you get a Cylinder X misfire that will point to the coil.

Mine ran OK initially, but then shortly later it started running rough. At some point, the ECU decided the misfires were bad enough that it deactivated the cylinder to protect the engine.

I have an Autel MD802 and have been happy with it. It can reset the service indicators and is also able to scan most if not all the 981 subsystems for codes - everything down to the doors and convertible top. I DIY most of my own maintenance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The first time I got those errors, a restart of the car made everything go back to normal. Then I got it again and it was worse. Coil is on its way out. Recommend replacing all 6 with the plugs, you can get a kit from Suncoast with the latest model coils. The replacement is really easy if you have decent tools.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks guys for sharing!! will look into the scan tool and tools needed for this...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Coil Pack(s) for sure. If I recall #3 & #6 are closet to the exhaust header heat. Coil packs are the 'achilles heels' of the Cayman's ignition system. My 2014 packs lasted close to 6 yrs before I changed all 6 of them. I too had one fail at the track.

·
Registered
34,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... The car doesnt show any sign of rough idle, everything feels normal. Does an ignition coil failure feel "normal" while driving?... Thanks
For my case, the first PSM failure I thought for sure I had a flat as the sounds seemed like I was running on gravel and not the smooth track but no TPMS warning and the tires were fine. The second PSM failure (about an hour later) gave no indications of idle/power/steering problems - just the warning light. And the morning of the big failure, no issues either than warning light. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
as expected by most from the forum, my reader says ignition coil #6....

just curious, could a bad spark plug trigger the same code? FYI internet says some owners thought it's the coil but turns out it's the spark plug

i got the coils will attempt a newbie DIY this weekend :) Thanks all

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi guys after I replaced the ignition coil #6 and cleared the codes, all was well for 3 weeks. Did 500-600 miles or so (including a long 4 hr drive). Today the same codes came back. Cylinder #6 - soft shut down, misfire, check engine light etc. causing PSM loss and start/stop activation disabled. It also drove rough and was worse than before

Appears to be only happening at cylinder #6 though. Could it be the spark plugs that i need to tackle next? any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts