Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I added a switch (see photo) on the PSM ground wire. Without it, even with the OE PSM off, the car would add braking to the rear wheels - - burning up brakes.
Sounds good! Can you tell me where you uninterrupted the ground?

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
Sounds good! Can you tell me where you uninterrupted the ground?
I believe the brown ground wire was in a bundle behind the radio. I suspect it was going to the factory PSM switch but not sure. Orbit Racing did the install and I was not there. Also, Justin at Rebel Rock Racing installed one on his Cayman race car so maybe a PM to him would help. He knows a lot about the Cayman S and is a big help.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
Send me a pm and I will work you through it View attachment 26646
Maybe you guys might like to consider offering a kit which will enable us Gen 2 owners to disable the PSM bit (maybe its the same thing??) so we can get our cars on a standard RWD Dyno.

987.2 cars cant exceed 4500RPM with only the rear wheels turning. Just a few members cars dont seem have this limitation.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
987.2 cars cant exceed 4500RPM with only the rear wheels turning. Just a few members cars dont seem have this limitation.
This isn't completely true. If the car has a manual transmission, pulling the ABS fuse will make it work on a dyno just fine, you'll just have to clear the error codes afterwards. If the car has a PDK tranny, then, as you mentioned, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So I am trying to figure this out. If the method to employ is to add a switch for the ground on the PSM CU, that looks like pin 1 here:

Detail shows color as Brown (I certainly hope so!)

And the PSM Control Unit location is in the front on the driver's side.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So I wired up a switch as noted above. Indeed, this does completely disable PSM. However, on my PASM equipped car there is a bad side effect - no Sport Mode. I presume PASM needs the yaw sensor or perhaps all of PSM working, and the Sport Mode requires PASM to work - so this combination is not supported by the method.

Darn.

·
3,758 Posts
So I wired up a switch as noted above. Indeed, this does completely disable PSM. However, on my PASM equipped car there is a bad side effect - no Sport Mode. I presume PASM needs the yaw sensor or perhaps all of PSM working, and the Sport Mode requires PASM to work - so this combination is not supported by the method.

Darn.
Do you get any error messages on the dash?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have been watching this thread for awhile now, I got lucky (I guess) that my PSM and ABS both turned off (i think it had to do with my battery dying) and now PSM nor ABS interrupt me on the track, the only thing is i dont really allow anyone else to drive my car because i am worried that they will not understand what to do in emergency situations, has this happend to anyone else. The brakes are great, i can really brake deep on the track and i feel all the force go to the front, unlike what a comment said that it felt like pulling the ebrake, I know this has to do with electronics so if anyone could fill me with some insight as i only am familiar with mechanics and racing.
- Jerry

·
3,758 Posts
I dont know but maybe my car is different???

I leave PSM on and Sport mode on and I dont get any of these things mentioned above happening.
I do run R Spec Yokohama A050 soft which are more grippy than regular slicks with -2 deg camber. A050s' are like qualifying tyres.

I often drive it at 10/10ths and the PSM hardly ever activates. ABS activates but thats ok because it just shortens the braking distance even more.
For trail braking and corner exit its all just perfect.

However I do note that when I used to drive a gen 1 car on the same track and with no LSD it was inferior in comparison. PSM (sport mode on) would hinder a lot. If I had no sport mode it was rather hopeless.

If one has no sport mode or no LSD or weak tyres then I can understand, but otherwise not.

Oh and BTW, I had a bad track day once with PSM going nuts. It was found that I had a faulty sensor switch on the clutch. All good now :) .

·
Registered
4 Posts

Darn.
Same here we need a work around, just got back from sebring pulled psm fuse
but I also lost brake bias so my rears would lock up.

Maybe Rebal or BGB can help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Guys!

I'm Chris from France, i have a cayman R! I dont see where i can do my presentation.

I have the same probleme when i track my R!!!! I want disable , porsche tell me they cant do anything.

I find the YAW sensor but i can't test because the weather is not good in France.

RebelRockRacing/MS you have a switch for the connector??? :picsplz:

Thanks a lot , the Planet 9 forum is AMAZING!:cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been watching this thread for awhile now, I got lucky (I guess) that my PSM and ABS both turned off (i think it had to do with my battery dying) and now PSM nor ABS interrupt me on the track, the only thing is i dont really allow anyone else to drive my car because i am worried that they will not understand what to do in emergency situations, has this happend to anyone else. The brakes are great, i can really brake deep on the track and i feel all the force go to the front, unlike what a comment said that it felt like pulling the ebrake, I know this has to do with electronics so if anyone could fill me with some insight as i only am familiar with mechanics and racing.
- Jerry
Do you get PSM and ABS warning message on the dash? If so, I believe the wheel speed sensor isn't working. Pulling of one of those generally kills ABS and stability control but not EBD.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Same here we need a work around, just got back from sebring pulled psm fuse
but I also lost brake bias so my rears would lock up.

Maybe Rebal or BGB can help

Morning, I have a slot scheduled for trying to get a baseline on a DynoJet dyno this afternoon. Went by the local Porsche dealership this morning to see if they might have any insight on disabling, if necessary, the Porsche Stability Management (? PSM) system for purposes of dynoing the car - no one was certain, but the suggestion, after looking at the electrical system on (I think) the dealership PWIS electronic workshop Manual was to pull the 25A fuse for the "Control Unit, PSM" located in Column C, Row 8 in, I believe, the front left cabin fuse box.

Anyone else tried, or know if this will work on a 981 Cayman S? I don't find, or see any fuse on the PWIS chart print out that's designated as solely devoted to ABS functions as perhaps distinguished from "PSM" work.

Cheers,

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you get PSM and ABS warning message on the dash? If so, I believe the wheel speed sensor isn't working. Pulling of one of those generally kills ABS and stability control but not EBD.
Yeah i have an error message on the dash, the ebd is what controls the brake bias correct?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts