Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been trying to figure out the PSM disable while retaining ABS on a 2006 Cayenne and have been having trouble finding the rotation rate sensor or yaw sensor locations to try with.

Basically I need to be able to disable the left foot braking throttle cut, but retain ABS and since you fine gentlemen have been able to work this magic on the Caymen, I thought you might be able to help me out on my Cayenne.

Thanks so much for your time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
any one else played with trying to get PSM fully off since this thread was started ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on what part of PSM remains active even when the PSM button is off. Obviously you can still oversteer and end spin the car with it off

·
Registered
810 Posts
PSM can never be completed turned off, as it's automatically enabled whenever the brake is depressed, regardless of whether the driver turned it off via the button or not. The only way I'm aware of to disable it without messing up ABS is to pull the steering angle sensor plug from the steering wheel, which will cause PSM to fault offline. It will also cause PASM and active headlights to fault offline.

IMHO, the better way is to use it with Sport+ mode which opens the engagement window so friggen wide that you can literally drift with PSM on. Among other things, PSM won't intervene during braking in Sport+ mode unless both front wheels lose traction.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So can I turn it off as on track it cuts back in, and I am quite a smooth driver. it's out of tighter bends it will not let me power out and the PSM light flash's.

It's like it knows that the wheel has reached too much angle and it will not let me throttle out !! seems every car is not the same, I have followed cars where same bend same throttle another car has had no PSM flash !

I am told there is a yaw sensor, and this will allow ABS and every thing else to keep working. I really need PSM off as it's braking my rear wheels on CCB's and is an arse when GT3's pull out the bends and my PSM lights telling me I cannot floor it !!! plus it's wearing and heating up my rear disks !

I have an R as well and the PSM light does not cut in as easy !!! but on my Spyder it's doing my head in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread... but what's the best way to completely defeat PSM on a 987.2 S/R? A few people have asked but no answer...

If it is disconnecting the yaw sensor, where is it? TIA!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread... but what's the best way to completely defeat PSM on a 987.2 S/R? A few people have asked but no answer...

If it is disconnecting the yaw sensor, where is it? TIA!
Behind the radio, mounted on the tunnel (bolted to the top of the tunnel.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best way is installing Sport mode at a dealer about 1K. Disabling the sensor screws up PASM if yours has one. Otherwise, it works very good!! Cheers,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Cayman R manual with Sport Chrono already, PSM still kicks in after pressing the off button. Am I missing something? Would like PSM totally off...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Cayman R manual with Sport Chrono already, PSM still kicks in after pressing the off button. Am I missing something? Would like PSM totally off...
It must be something wrong if it's true. My R has Sport Chrono and I can turn PSM off completely. Actually that's why I purchased it. Did you turn on Sport mode at the same time? That might be the case. The PSM light still flashes when you turn it off completely but it doesn't do anything.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes sport mode was on...

So leave sport off, press PSM Off once. And PSM is off completely even though the light flashes from time to time?

·
Registered
810 Posts
It must be something wrong if it's true. My R has Sport Chrono and I can turn PSM off completely. Actually that's why I purchased it. Did you turn on Sport mode at the same time? That might be the case. The PSM light still flashes when you turn it off completely but it doesn't do anything.

Hope this helps.
Even after you pushed the button, the PSM logic is always running in the background, ready to step in. If you disable it via the button it will stay disabled while you driving, but it quietly re-activates the moment you touch the brake and stays active until you get back off the brake. Which is normally a good thing on the street for panic situations ("please save me!") can be a real joy-killer on the track if you're trying to trail-brake because PSM will step in when you don't want it and not only kill the rotation you're trying to get, but can at times retard the throttle and keep you from powering out.

Sport Chrono is considered a "must have" for competition because it opens that engagement window so wide open that PSM will almost never step in; you can literally be full-on drifting with PSM still on. In fact, it's doing some other stuff behind the scenes that actually helps that gets turned off when you push the button, so cars with Sport Chrono are often faster in competition with PSM left on. Without Sport Chrono... competitive driving can get frustrating really quick. Sport isn't enough, it has to be Sport Plus. IMHO, no Porsche should ever have left the factory without the Sport Plus button; it's a travesty so many lack it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a quick update re: PSM on my Cayman R 6MT. This weekend, even with Sport on, PSM off, we couldn't rotate/drift the car. The PSM light on the tach flashed frequently powering out of tight corners.

Ended up disconnecting the yaw sensor (located near driver right shin, very easy to unplug), then the car drove like it should :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone considered ‘faking’ the signal from the steering angle sensor to let PSM believe the steering wheel is in neutral position? Wouldn’t this prevent PSM from ever stepping in while not sacrificing Sport plus, PASM etc.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts