Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2017 GTS with 40k miles and it seems to be making drive train noises. I've had the transfer case replaced twice (under warranty). It's not showing those same symptoms.
I had the transfer case replaced, went on a trip from MD to VT and back. This problem has only happened since that trip. I have no idea if it's related to the xfer case or not.

It's difficult to reproduce. It doesn't seem to happen in a straight line, only during turns (and speed varies)

I've had various vehicles with 4WD and AWD systems in the past. This is not tire scrub and not full-lock steering pump kind of noises/pulsing.

If I had to guess it seems to be coming from the rear, but with how quiet the interior is it's hard to tell for certain.

It does not seem to be brake-related (as in, not ABS chatter or grabbing).

I've had it happen most often when backing out of my driveway in the morning. Back out about 25' while turning the wheels about half-way, starting with only enough acceleration to get moving, and then slight brake pressure to control the roll (it's a downhill driveway, but not steep). There's a sense of vibration and something binding. It does NOT feel like tire scrub or brakes catching.

I've also had it happen when making turns from a stop. Like a left across traffic after being stopped (but still in drive). Or a right into a parking lot.

I have had it happen on different road surfaces, and every time it's happened has been during dry conditions. I've not seen any warning messages about it.

I've tried checking if it was related to diff locking by putting it into off-road mode with wheels straight. Forward a bit, back a bit, into center-lock off-road, fwd/back, and back to regular AWD mode. I've never driven it in off-road mode on paved surfaces (as that WOULD cause binding). That made no difference, the problem happened again a few days later.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this? I've tried to demonstrate it for the dealer service techs and can't get it to repeat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you think it might be a bad rear differential or bad axle giving you issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know, to be honest. It's random enough that I don't yet have a red flag pointing out the source.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seems very unlucky to be having these problems. Is it possible that the CV joints are getting noisey under load?

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my share of vehicles with CV joints that have failed and this doesn't sound/feel like it. The circumstance is under pretty light 'load' conditions, in that it's just while rolling backward or a slow turn.

I figure posting the question here might eventually lead to someone else coming across it with a "hey, that happened to me as well" scenario.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I think you should trust your instincts and look at the differentials. Start with the basics and do a fluid change. It's cheap and easy. Then come back and let us know if it helped. Sure won't hurt anything... You might even want to drain it through an old white undershirt. Kind of like a filter. And if you want to be a super nerd, put a neo magnet in the center of the shirt.

Reactions: wkearney99

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Cayenne S 958.1 2013 is driving me nuts too.....weird sound from the left rear at slow speeds only....once speed builds up it goes away.....its link a clunk.
Road surface doesnt matter.....when I accelerate gradually and cars between 2-4 gear the sound comes.
Once it crosses 50kmph sound goes away.
My friend who works on my car says his jaguar does it too and its got something to do with the rear differential. Planning to change the diff oil but cant source it here in India. No one carries LS Diff oil here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts