Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

PTV, are you happy with it/would you get it again?

• Yes, duh!

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • No way, Jose

Votes: 5 11.1%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read all threads I could find on PTV (incl the 13 page whopper), but they mostly deal on what everyone thought it might do, vs what it might now.

Now that everyone's had their cars for a few years, I was hoping I could take advantage of your experiences to help make my own decision. For background: this car will not see snow, and I can handle it in the rain w/o an LSD. Track days are not the intention, so I don't care too much about that. Yes, I would love an LSD but I'm not keen on the torque vectoring. My test drives of a 2.7 and an S model each had the basic suspension, and I was able to get all four wheels to slide just barely before the insane grip took over. It didn't catch me off, and I rather enjoyed the sensation. I would rather that, than yet another aid to make me zip around a corner even faster, especially at the cost of the natural feel of the suspension telling me what consequences my actions can have.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you want a guaranteed slidey car, simply get X73, or install X73's rear anti-roll bar. This allows you to have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have to say that with new rubber, X-73 and PTV (assuming PSM is turned on) it is difficult to swing the tail on dry roads. The grip even with stock Goodyear F1s is pretty intense.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should clarify that I'm not looking to actively swing the tail out on public roads, only that I feel having these limits occur at slower speeds (vs PTV perhaps giving a false sense of security and causing me to perhaps increase corner entry speeds too much if I'm not paying attention to the speedometer) might actually enhance the experience... Does that make sense to anyone, or does it sound crazy?

Keep in mind I have not been able to test drive one with PTV, as the Vancouver dealer didn't have one. If Victoria does, I might try and give it a go this weekend.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have had my car, a DD, for a year+. Happy with the PTV. Mostly unnoticeable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My SA is actually discouraging me from ordering PTV on a CGTS I'll be ordering soon - he claims a) as a mid-engine car it's really unnecessary due to the inherant balance and b) it will end up eating the rear brakes over time (which in my mind contradicts "a" a bit).
Comments on rear brake life from those with PTV?

·
Registered
602 Posts
PTV won't stop you from being able to overwhelm the tires. It is still possible to have a bit of a slide at sensible speeds, but you have to be aggressive with the throttle.

PTV is quite subtle, but I've started to notice it more lately, particularly in 3rd gear corners where the LSD and the torque vectoring really help it to turn much better under acceleration.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My SA is actually discouraging me from ordering PTV on a CGTS I'll be ordering soon - he claims a) as a mid-engine car it's really unnecessary due to the inherant balance and b) it will end up eating the rear brakes over time (which in my mind contradicts "a" a bit).
After a year and a half of autocross I am not having any issues with rear brake wear. That's a lot of 2nd gear tight turns with hard acceleration. It's hard to say how much it contributed, but my stock 981S with X73 and PTV regularly beats 911's on R compound tires and a couple of times last year placed 3rd of all the Porsche's running, behind two properly modified autocross cars.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have to say that with new rubber, X-73 and PTV (assuming PSM is turned on) it is difficult to swing the tail on dry roads. The grip even with stock Goodyear F1s is pretty intense.
Put your foot in it like you would a Miata. Trust me, it wiggles its hips almost as easily. More weight back there, but the GTS has a better torque-to-contact patch ratio than a Miata.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Limited slip differentials are a good thing. Nothing new there. I ordered it and have zero regrets.

PTV and PASM (or X73) are well worth the price of admission.

Do you need it? No. Still a nice car.

Reactions: Spectre

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP did you do the test drive with a salesperson?

:)
As a matter of fact, I did not. I had my wife with me and the SA had no problem handing us the keys for both cars to take on our own. I was able to take each car for between 40-60 min and took them out of Vancouver and up into the north shore, where the roads become windy and the traffic thins quitea bit. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
My SA is saying the exact same thing about the Cayman being mid engined car and with it's balance it's unnecessary.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I should clarify that I'm not looking to actively swing the tail out on public roads, only that I feel having these limits occur at slower speeds (vs PTV perhaps giving a false sense of security and causing me to perhaps increase corner entry speeds too much if I'm not paying attention to the speedometer) might actually enhance the experience... Does that make sense to anyone, or does it sound crazy?

Keep in mind I have not been able to test drive one with PTV, as the Vancouver dealer didn't have one. If Victoria does, I might try and give it a go this weekend.
Let us know how you go with the test drive. I'm in the same camp, while I love the idea of the LSD not so keen on the rear braking.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I disagree. My 2.7 with F1s, I can swing the tail out in round abouts at will. Totally throttle steer it. Having said that I don't like the Goodyears. Will be switching to Michelins PS2s.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I only do that at autocross, but its easy to swing the tail with the throttle, even with very grippy tires like the Dunlop ZII I use. You just need to use more throttle. Floor it around a sharp corner and you're going off backwards.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a BGTS with PTV and I can't tell you whether it does anything or not. I do a lot of track days and got PTV as a kind of safety feature. I can say you can get the rear to slide even with PSM turned on.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Of the 3 Porsches I've owned 2 have a had PTV -- as will the next. The faster, tighter the corner the more noticeable, like a hand comes out of the sky and pivots the car. Want the aśs end to step out? Turning off PSM will have the greatest affect.

Reactions: dudecs

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have found that F1 tires with life and heat in them have to be pushed very hard to brake loose with PSM turned on. If they are cold and or 75%+ worn or turn off PSM, I can swing it at will. I have never looked to see if the 2.7 cars are lighter in the rear, but I think the 3.4 HP/torque difference would make up for a lighter rear. I should also say that I have 20s.

I disagree. My 2.7 with F1s, I can swing the tail out in round abouts at will. Totally throttle steer it. Having said that I don't like the Goodyears. Will be switching to Michelins PS2s.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts