Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So negotiated the price of 09 boxter-s from 71840 to 55700. I think that is a good deal, its a leftover. Getting rid of my 08 bmw 335xi. Just nervous, because although not my daily drive it will be used alot just for communting etc..., thats why I got pdk. Just wondering how many people use their boxter as a daily driver, will I tire of the engine noise, etc... Am i just being seduced by drving the car top down on a sunny day for a test drive. Suspension seems less stiff them my bmw, so i think the ride will be fine, but it is a very small car. Any opionions? Previous cars owned bmw 530i sport package, Benz sl500, hated the car way too soft. bmw 335xi, which I like but now piazzaaz too it, and suspension overly harsh on bad pavment. I live in the nyc suburbs, so roads are not great. Do most people have a second car for commuting or daily driver?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Cayman S as a daily driver and find it fine as a daily driver. I have done long trips, used it as a workhorse for trips to the hardware.

The Boxster has less storage space by ample for commuting and a weekend away.

Porsches are often referred to as everyday supercars so you will most likely be fine... :burnout:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've got a Boxster on Long Island but it's not my DD. Ride isn't harsh at all but it's certainly not soft. Engine sound is better than the radio/CD player and I never get tired of it. Plenty of storage space for everyday needs as well as trips you may take. Downside to using it as a DD is obviously can never be used for more than 2 people (as a DD this could be a critical factor) and I'd be concerned about using it during NY winters with the abuse the soft top will get. Is the car going to be parked outside? If yes I'd probably think more about a Cayman. If you're leasing than maybe you go for it anyway (car is going back at the end of 3 years). If a buy than I'd be concerned about winter exposure and wear on the top.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is garaged always. Not leasing, while I got what I think is a great price, it does not lease well due to it being a leftover 2009. I figure what the hell, 95% of the time its just me in the car or one other person rarely did i have people in the back of my 335i coupe, so whats the difference. You think most people lease or buy their porsche? I wonder what percentage of people use it as daily driver

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got my Cayman without really plannin' on usin' it as a daily driver. I have a King Ranch F150 that was my daily driver when I needed a vehicle, but normally I rode my Harley everywhere. However, once I got the Cayman, that changed. The truck just sits, but not really any different than before. The Harley is feelin' neglected now for about the last month. I've been drivin' the Cayman everywhere. It gets good gas mileage, and has enough storage for what I need with the two trunks. Hell, I got by ridin' a harley with saddlebags everywhere, so the Cayman has more than enough storage. The car doesn't ride like a Cadillac, but I never expected it to. It's a sports car and rides like one. To me, that doesn't matter. The pleasure of drivin' the car overrides feelin' a few bumps in the road. In my opinion, the Cayman, and I'm sure the Boxster, makes a pretty good daily driver.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You pose a good question, whether most Porsches are purchases or leases. I'd guess 60-70% of new Porsche deliveries are leases with the balance obviously sales. As you mentioned though most or all of the used market (either private or dealer transactions) are all sales as lease deals just don't add up. I was amazed to learn after buying mine just how many Porsche owners are doing as I did, letting the first owner lease or buy for a year or 2 and take the hit and allow people like me to enjoy the Porsche ownership experience.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have a '10 boxster PDK and i use it as a daily driver! No problems at all, in a sense once you drive this car you begin to compromise for many things because just driving the car is a great daily expierence. I love my boxster and surprisingly dont mind the driving noise or the road noise. There is nothing like getting into my car everyday!

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
I liken the Flat 6 Symphony to Beethoven's 5th or Silversun Pick Ups Lazy Eye or The Who's Baba O'Riley or New Order's Perfect Kiss. Starts nice and easy then builds up then gets dramatically loud - takes a breather - go at it again - and then cool down.

My Cayman S is not my daily driver but I do look forward to the Driving experience. The waiting and anticipation just makes it that much more exquisite.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I use my RS60 as a DD; have a 15mi commute over a small mountain in the rain most mornings. No problems as a DD; lots of storage space - car cover, cleaning supplies and computer bag in the front trunk; golf bag in the rear trunk on those days when I can play "customer" golf. Don't know if you have PASM; I've found that a real benefit on our very beat up roads; much better than when I had a Cayman w/o it. And, almost nothing is better for reducing stress than driving home with the top down...

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver, too (as long as there's not 'salt' on the roads.)
The joy of driving it is just too much to resist. I think you'll love it as a DD.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I came fm a 335i coupe and you probably are experiencing the seemingly harsh ride due to the run flats. I put a set of Michelin non runflat PS2's on my BMW and the ride went from harsh to sporty with a lot more grip.

My Cayman (I have the 19" tire/wheel package) certainly picks up the road imperfections but in a good way.

I do have an SUV for the winter though - The Nebraska winters can be brutal!

That is a great price on the Boxster by the way.

Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its a done deal, $55700. Aqua blue, black interior, pdk, nav, bose, some other stuff, pretty loaded, just does not have pasm, could not find a boxter with that or with sport chrono, but it will be fine. my first porsche , pretty excited, just hope i really like it. I do like the engine noise, but sometimes quiet is good too, how is the stereo??, never even turned it on or tried the bluetooth sysn, i assume it downloads your phone book to the car. has heated seats all the usual stuff. so i went from bmw to benz to bmw to porsche, so far like bmw the best, but lets see how the boxter does. Its a boxter s, i think its somewhat quciker then my 335xi, about the same horsepower but lighter. well at least its warm in ny now for topless driving. who doesnt like topless

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well congrats, you will not like the car...you will LOVE it...got my first Porsche Cayman S in September 09. The Boxter / Cayman family is fantastic...Grarantee you will like your Porsche better than the rest...

·
Registered
31 Posts
taxdr...

I am coming up on the final weeks of a 3-year lease on my 335i convertible. That BMW has been the best car I've ever had, but I was ready for a change. I've had several sports cars over the years (mostly Miatas, but some others too). Several weeks ago I bought a base Boxster (Aqua blue like yours) with NAV, bluetooth, upgraded stereo, etc. Really well equipped, but with the manual 6-speed. Sticker was $60K, and I got it for $45K. But, it's not the "S". Anyway - Even though I have really enjoyed my bimmer quite a lot, I REALLY love driving my Porsche.

However, living in NE Ohio, I am pretty certain I will be getting a second car to keep this one from the salt and occasional deep snow we get - also to protect it from the other guy who can't control his car in a slippery drift. I can't afford another BMW, but will maybe get a Subaru or some other car that can do some modest hauling of "stuff" now and then.

I have seen more than one Boxster around here in the winter and with four snow tires, they appeared to be doing just fine. Deep snow might be another story, though.

Enjoy the bejeebers out of yours - I know I am! Oh - and . . . :picsplz:

Doug

·
Registered
130 Posts
I didn't by my Cayman S as a daily driver...
but it has turned out that way...
Just can't wait to drive it.
My DD just sits in the driveway collecting dust.
You will no doubt have the same "problem".
Life is "tough" when you have to drive your Porsche.
Congrats on your new boxster.. and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.