Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've already read some of the threads arguing patching vs replacing a tire so I know about that issue, speed rating, and so on.

Anyways, TPMS for the last 2 weeks has shown a drop of about 1-2PSI every 3 or 4 days on the rear passenger tire. I looked at the wheel and found a screw right in the middle of the tire on the flat part.

I called Momentum Porsche in Houston and they said that they always replace the tire if it's punctured. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport tires and they said it would cost $712 to replace one tire. I looked up the tire on tirerack and it's more in the $300-400 range! I think the puncture is mild so I thought I would just patch the tire.

My question is if anyone knows of any trustworthy places I can take the car in Houston to get the patch placed who wouldn't mess the car or rim up in the process. I live in Galveston so I have to drive about an hour to get up there.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm in Dallas, but have had good luck with Discount Tire. They patch tires for free as well. If I were you I'd drive over to the local DT and ask how much for a patch, and mention it's important to have no marks on the wheels during the repair. They'll usually put their best guy on it. If they charge, it shouldn't be more than $30, and they'll plug and patch it. I wouldn't replace the tire unless it's worn down enough.

They marked up my wife's wheels once and refinished them at their expense.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Yeah, I've used Discount also for minor internal patches (no plugs). I really like the store over on Westheimer just outside BW 8. I've had two 18" 265/40 Continentals replaced at Momentum (under a tire warranty) for just under $400 (at no cost to me). $712 is way out of line IMO.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,774 Posts
I just had one of my tires patched. It depends on where the leak is, you can patch a tire as long as the leak is in the center of the tread. You don't want to patch anything on the side or edge of the tire.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sounds like you're already aware of the pros-cons. Just to be sure, I would trust a patch (flat thing on the inside surface of the tire) significantly more than a plug (cylindrical thing pushed in from outside) - due mainly to centrifugal forces. I also agree with DMN987S' comments. Good luck.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Echoing the thoughts of others, depending on the location of the puncture, if you can patch it, go with it!

When I had punctures in my rear tires at 4000 miles, I got the same message from the dealerships about patching tires and their policy of not doing it. One of my biggest mistakes ever - still ticks me off that I believed that ****. Should've gotten the patch.

However, if you're planning to track the car, I'd ask some of the more experienced trackers on this forum about that.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Driving DEs with a patched/plugged tire

Echoing the thoughts of others, depending on the location of the puncture, if you can patch it, go with it!

When I had punctures in my rear tires at 4000 miles, I got the same message from the dealerships about patching tires and their policy of not doing it. One of my biggest mistakes ever - still ticks me off that I believed that ****. Should've gotten the patch.

However, if you're planning to track the car, I'd ask some of the more experienced trackers on this forum about that.

Good Luck.
Okay experienced trackers, what's your thoughts on using a patched/plugged tire on the track? Is it safe?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Driving DEs with a patched/plugged tire

I carry a tire plug repair kit in the trunk. Its less than $5.00 and you do not need to remove a wheel from the car to use it. Just remove the nail/screw/object and ream the hole with the supplied tool. Insert a plug in the other tool and coat with glue and insert. Cut off excess and fill tire with the factory pump. Beats the goo from the factory. A kit will repair 6 punctures. The heat generated from the tire while operating the vehicle will vulcanize the repair. No need to replace a good tire that seems wasteful.u

Never use a repaired tire for a track day. Never use your street tires for a track day period. They turn to dust in a day. Purchase a set of gumbos from china to waste on a de.

·
Registered
163 Posts
After only 700 miles on our new Cayman, we developed a slow leak in the rear tire due to a screw. The rears almost always get damaged, rather than the front tires. The front tires kick up the screws into the appropriate angle to damage the rears. Had the tire plugged, patched and rebalanced for free at the local discount tire shop. Gave them a $5 tip. No problems here after 5000 miles.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have also plugged a rear tire for street use. This was recommended by my dealer for a practically new tire. Given the rears are probably replaced annually for a daily driver this seems OK to me. Just a note to add. The last four tire replacement, I elected to go with the Goodyears which are N rated and cost considerably less than the Michelin's. After 3 months of use, they seem every bit as good as the PS2's in both dry and wet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.