Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody. I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 Cayman S and was hoping for a little advice.
The car can be found here

Unfortunately I'm all the way in SC and the car is in LA, so I'm in need of some west coast knowledge.

Can anybody recommend a good place to get a PPI performed on the car close to the dealer (Studio City, CA)?

Also, I'm aware the IMS is the scariest issue present with these cars but otherwise is there anything specific I should be worried about?

Finally, does anyone have any experience with Stellar Auto Sales? It looks slightly sketchy from their google maps pictures, but their reviews are pretty good as a whole.

Update in post 14

·
Registered
208 Posts
I live right in los angeles. When i dont do my own work my car goes to jeff and peter at Euro Spec Motoring. They were both porsche dealer techs and really knowledgeable. Definitely trust them with any work/inspections.

I ran into them when looking for mine. Seemed like your standard everyday used car lot, probably have no idea where car comes from/real condition and will not give you any support after purchase.

Going on vacation until the new year but let me know if you need help from someone in the area. I work right next to studio city.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd definitely recommend a CarFax or similar before even bringing it in for an overrev report. The guys @ Euro Spec offered to do it for free for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They offered to pull the carfax for free or the PPI? It seems like Euro Spec is gonna be the place to go so far.
They provide a carfax on their website and it only has 1 P/O which is a big reason it's high on my list of possible cars. The sport package and PASM don't hurt either...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Euro Spec offered to read the OverRev for free not a PPI (truthfully they could look at all the other DME data while they're at it too) But the overrev, is the most important thing you need to know.

The CarFax will cost.

You can also ask a Porsche service manager nicely - to see if they will pull service records for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah like I said the dealer provides a Carfax linked here. It looks good in that there's only 1 previous owner, but doesn't give much info as far as what maintenance was performed on it.
I didn't think dealers were able to pull maintenance records from other dealers? Is that not true?

Also, fun fact the exhaust is a Tubi.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Aurel and Don's is close, good guys, very old school, don't work on Cayennes and such. I'll be back down there Monday and could have a look if you like.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Any service dept can lookup the service records for you. Don't know if they can print them out. But they have access to it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
you've been misled on the IMS. Its not an issue on the Cayman. Check the over rev report and get a PPI.

Frankly I would only buy private party, you just cannot afford to purchase a 987.1 that has been tracked. IMS may not be an issue, but poor oiling in high G turns is! If was 100% street driven, or occasional auto-x it will be bulletproof. The reason I'll never take mine to the track, too risky and hurts resale.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah like I said the dealer provides a Carfax linked here. It looks good in that there's only 1 previous owner, but doesn't give much info as far as what maintenance was performed on it.
I didn't think dealers were able to pull maintenance records from other dealers? Is that not true?

Also, fun fact the exhaust is a Tubi.
I've had to fight with past dealerships to get the service records, they claim it because of privacy concerns. I had an Audi dealer who refused but would look it all up for me but wouldn't print it or let me see it, just a "uh huh looks normal". Lexus dealer was complete opposite, Lexus bends over backwards to make their customers happy, printed it all out and even mailed it to me on a used RX i bought from auction. Lets say you buy car, something shows up in records, you sue previous owner, previous owner sues dealership is what they claimed, just another reason to never go to those dealerships.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Eclectic inventory mix at that location. I would be very curious how they came to have that in their inventory. I always ask a dealer how they got the car (most times they will tell you and if they won't that is a problem to me). Do they offer some sort of limited warranty coverage or are you on your own when you drive it off the lot? If they do, does it start when you take possession or when it leaves the lot for shipment to you (in that case you will lose several days of coverage before you even know anything). Other recommendations forum members made are good ones and definitely worth following.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer provides a 30day/1000 mile powertrain warranty. Don't know when it officially begins after purchase though.
Do y'all recommend extended warranties? I've heard the mercury ones are pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stumbled across another good one also in the Socal area here. Any thoughts or people who might want to go take a look for me?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The white one has a nice set of options for an everyday car. The blue one is optioned for DEs. What is your intended use? If you plan to do some DEs, you should look for Sport Chrono and PASM (not PSM - that's Porsche's traction control and it's on every Cayman). The white one has PASM which is interesting since it doesn't have SC. Usually you'll find them with SC and not PASM.

On the white one, be sure to ask if it has 2 keys. Porsche keys are expensive to reproduce (over $100), so if it only has 1 include that when negotiating a final price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah pasm is one of my requirements for the car. Why do you say the blue one is equipped for DEs? Just because of the sport package. Isn't that just the silly clock and throttle mapping that can be done aftermarket anyway?
I would think doing a PPI would reveal if it was tracked before from the overrev report right?
I might track the car very rarely but I mostly stick to the occasional autocross or mountain run.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Blue one:
Sport Seats
PASM
Sport Chrono
bi-xenon**
Gas pedal set up for heal - toe
18" wheels
no heated seats
Sport Steering wheel
Bose Prem radio

White one:
Sport Steering wheel
PASM
bi-xenon
full leather
heated seats
memory seats
19" Sport Design wheels
Bose Prem radio
probably has rain sensor wipers & self dimming mirrors (part of the memory seat option)

If you were going to configure a Cayman for DEs, the blue one has 6 options vs the white's 2. Not that you couldn't use the white one for DEs and I think you're hinting that it could have the SC software added, which it could. The white one is optioned more for daily driving / enjoyment.

BTW... that's a stopwatch not a clock, but it is silly.

** EDIT: added after original post

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Husker couple more questions...

I didn't even notice the pedal good eye. Is that an OEM option or something aftermarket? The few caymans/boxsters I've driven I wasn't a huge fan of how far apart the pedals are.
Also, don't they both have xenons (you don't mention it on the blue one)? Along with just about every Cayman? I've yet to see any that don't unless I'm missing something.
Same with the Bose actually, I think I've seen 1 car that didn't have the Bose out of hundreds I've looked at online.

The main option I've been looking for is the PASM, after that I'm really not too picky. Do people find the sport seats or sport steering wheel to be all that much better than their 'non-sport' counterparts? I kinda want the 19s too to really put the PASM to good use.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yes, the blue one has bi-xenons. I originally had it listed but somehow it got lost in the final iteration. My bad. Bi-xenons are not a massively popular option, so if you're finding a bunch with them, good for you. They produce a much nicer light and they're a good option to have. I'll edit my previous post.

Pedals. I'm not as sure if a pedal option was available but I'd have to say it would be a possibility to order them from the factory. Suncoast has a set available:

Sport Pedal Set - 2005-12:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories

The one on the blue car doesn't look like these - it has more "meat" up by the top of your foot rather than near the heal, so this one could be an aftermarket.

Bose premium was probably on 85-90% of Caymans, so there are some out there without it. Not sure what it sounds like, my Caymans & Boxster have all been premiums.

If you haven't held a std wheel, you wouldn't believe the difference. A sport wheel has the proper grip and thickness. A std wheel feels like a piece of licorice covered in leather. Too thin for my tastes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I always thought if the headlights had the spherical looking bulb they were xenons but I think I was mistaken. They're only xenons if they have the headlight washer nipples correct?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts