Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to get some advice before purchasing a Cayman or 911.

I'm serious about purchasing either a new 2017 Cayman 718, or 911 Carrera.

Based off what I built online at the website, the MSRP for these vehicles are the following:

Cayman 718 base in Jet Metallic black in manual transmission: $57000.00 MSRP including processing/shipping/handling fees.
911Carrera in Jet Black Metallic in manual transmission: $92870.00 MSRP including processing/shipping/handling fees.

I phoned my local dealer in Oregon, and they stated that they don't have these vehicles in stock with the exact specs I wanted.
They said that I could order these and have the factories make them and then ship them to the dealership, requiring a deposit prior to them ordering the vehicle. It would take several months for them to receive the shipment.

With ordering vehicles direct from the factory, is it still possible to negotiate the sales price of the vehicle? If so how much should I be able to negotiate?

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you can afford $92k why not let someone else eat the first 2 year depreciation and get a CPO which will still get you a 4 year warranty (2 MFR + 2 CPO). You are in Gt4 territory as you approach $100k link

·
Registered
626 Posts
You should still be able to negotiate a discount ( how much is dealer/area dependent) on a ordered model- Just not as much as you would get on a model that has been sitting on their lot for some time. It should take about 3 months to get a straightforward order but your dealer can give you a estimate.

Have you driven both to see which platform you want? Pretty big difference between the two.
If you're buying (vs leasing) new and planning on keeping, ordering new does allow you to customize to your tastes (see my pic) quite a bit.
CPO is a great alternative, as mentioned, if you want to save some $$ and don't mind having some flexibility on options.

·
Registered
562 Posts
With ordering vehicles direct from the factory, is it still possible to negotiate the sales price of the vehicle? If so how much should I be able to negotiate?

Thanks for your advice.
Yes, but you will get less discount on an ordered car than one sitting on the lot, they are already having to pay interest on inventory so are more eager to get rid of it. Considering this is your first pcar, you don't have a relationship established with the dealership so you might not get as large of a discount as someone who is buying their 3rd or 4th car from the same dealership / salesman. Depending on the exact vehicle you order, base, S, GT4, your discount will vary. Just my opinion, but if ordering a base or S, I would ask for 10 percent off MSRP (profit margin on new pcars is about 14 percent) and negotiate from there. If ordering a GT4, you would be lucky to get it for full MSRP. I don't need useless back seats of a 911 and prefer mid-engine handling but if buying a 718 would for certain get the S.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yes, but you will get less discount on an ordered car than one sitting on the lot, they are already having to pay interest on inventory so are more eager to get rid of it. Considering this is your first pcar, you don't have a relationship established with the dealership so you might not get as large of a discount as someone who is buying their 3rd or 4th car from the same dealership / salesman. Depending on the exact vehicle you order, base, S, GT4, your discount will vary. Just my opinion, but if ordering a base or S, I would ask for 10 percent off MSRP (profit margin on new pcars is about 14 percent) and negotiate from there. If ordering a GT4, you would be lucky to get it for full MSRP. I don't need useless back seats of a 911 and prefer mid-engine handling but if buying a 718 would for certain get the S.
You cannot order a GT4 as they are not currently making them.

I would familiarize yourself with the various options - buying a Porsche isn't like buying most other cars. Most people typically add $10 to $20K in options, so the price goes up quickly.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discounts vary by area, but yes you should be able to get a decent discount on an ordered 991. I live in MD and I special ordered five 911s over the decades. My discounts varied depending upon the time of year I placed my order, but I never got less than 6% off of the sticker price. Based on the posts I've read over the years, I wouldn't settle for less than 5% off of MSRP. As great a car as a Cayman is, I would opt for a 911 since every Porsche enthusiast should own at least one 911.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for all your advice.

It honestly would make perfect sense to go with a newer used porsche.
I really have no reason not to do so.

It was just a personal decision to go with a new vehicle, and I can't give any true reason why. I guess its just in my head that I don't know what happened to it with the previous owner.

Right now I'm driving a 2012 toyota prius, base, with cloth interior. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It is a fantastic car, and I'm thankful to have it. I will continue to drive it on a daily basis, even after I get this new car.
That being said, a base 2017 718 will be light years better and I would have nothing to complain about.

I can't decide whether to purchase this vehicle in cash, or to finance. I have not spoken with the dealer yet. All I know is that they contacted me today saying that they have the same vehicle (718) in a "basic" base model going to california by the end of the month, and that I need to talk with them quick to secure it.

I'll take the suggestion of the previous posters and negotiate with the dealer for 5-10% off MSRP. Ultimately, I'm at their mercy because I do know this car is not sitting on their lot.

Thanks again.

Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for all your advice.

It honestly would make perfect sense to go with a newer used porsche.
I really have no reason not to do so.

It was just a personal decision to go with a new vehicle, and I can't give any true reason why. I guess its just in my head that I don't know what happened to it with the previous owner.

Right now I'm driving a 2012 toyota prius, base, with cloth interior. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It is a fantastic car, and I'm thankful to have it. I will continue to drive it on a daily basis, even after I get this new car.
That being said, a base 2017 718 will be light years better and I would have nothing to complain about.

I can't decide whether to purchase this vehicle in cash, or to finance. I have not spoken with the dealer yet. All I know is that they contacted me today saying that they have the same vehicle (718) in a "basic" base model going to california by the end of the month, and that I need to talk with them quick to secure it.

I'll take the suggestion of the previous posters and negotiate with the dealer for 5-10% off MSRP. Ultimately, I'm at their mercy because I do know this car is not sitting on their lot.

Thanks again.

Appreciate your help.
You are going from a Prius that you are delighted with to a Porsche? That has to be a first. I cannot imagine two more different cars. If this is on the level, and I have to admit my troll alarms are starting to go off, you really need to test drive one of these cars before you buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are going from a Prius that you are delighted with to a Porsche? That has to be a first. I cannot imagine two more different cars. If this is on the level, and I have to admit my troll alarms are starting to go off, you really need to test drive one of these cars before you buy.
Wow what a comment.

Since when did I say they were both on the same level?

I said I am happy with my prius. I drive it to work. It's fantastic because it does what I intended it to do. Get me to work without problems, and without attention. Its reliable and economical.

I make no plans to drive the porsche to work, it would mainly be a car for me that I would use on the weekends.

This makes me a troll?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
P9 gets its share of new members that tell stories that turn out to be fantasy. If that isn't you, I apologize for the inference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts