1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a hole in CS trans...
ON PURPOSE;)
Thought I'd share why.

We recently outfitted member 3 lions '07 CS with dual transmission coolers. The Cayman transmissions have been known to run very warm under continuous lapping track conditions. With reliability of 3 lions CS being of highest priority, we set off to develop a solution.

This dual transmission cooler system uses two Setrab fluid coolers to do the trick. A center console mounted switch runs the pump that pulls fluid from the rear of the case and supplies cooled fluid to the ring and pinion at the front.

To perform this modification, one has to be willing to put a hole in bottom of their transmission case. The rear cover is removed from the car and modified.

I would not recommend this for a street car, but for a consistent track schedule I would strongly consider it. As I said, there is a center console mounted switch so you can turn it on for track days and turn it off for the street or when not needed.

Currently we do not offer this system for purchase or installation outside of our Southern California facility. This system was developed for manual transmissions on the 987.1 models.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
On a scale of 1-10 for a DIY job what would you rate? ;)

Let me get my vice out and drill bits

cool modification.

Nice work guys!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a scale of 1-10 for a DIY job what would you rate? ;)

Let me get my vice out and drill bits

cool modification.

Nice work guys!
How good are your tig welding and lathe skills?
I'd say a 15 for the average DIY'er. Myself included as I am not a welding wiz by any means:(. We are charging approximately 12 hours for the install and about $750 in parts/materials.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Couldn't you utilize the factory drain and fill ports for the supply and return lines, respectively?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldn't you utilize the factory drain and fill ports for the supply and return lines, respectively?
We did utilize the factory drain plug as the entrance for the cooled fluid. This cool fluid is pumped into the bottom of the trans and creates a "fountain" of cool fluid to the ring and pinion. This allows for proper lubrication of the ring&pinion under hard acceleration.

The hard acceleration and oil packing up at the rear of the trans is why we chose to use the rear as a pick-up.

The factory fill plug is still just that, used to fill.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The 915 box with the mechanical pump and spray bar was an interesting setup. I would think it would be of some benefit if the the drain and fill points were used to set up a cooler system. Not as good as spraying the ring and pinion but I don't think it could hurt. However, I don't make my living doing these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.