Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I test rode the base Cayman back in September I was sold on the fantastic exhuast sound.
While going thru the configurator, I picked off the Sport Tips, because I thought they looked great.

Since then, I've read some threads on Planet-9 indicating that the base may sound better with a
single exhaust tip vs the 2 tips.

Has anyone had both a base Cayman with the single tip and another base with the duel tips.... and was there any
real difference?

I would hate to have paid $650 to change the sound I originally fell in love with.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
When I test rode the base Cayman back in September I was sold on the fantastic exhuast sound.
Trust me on this.....DO NOT drive a 981 S with a Porsche Sports Exhaust!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I tried that too. At the end I concluded that they sound identical. no need to spend 650 more. I also like single oval shape exhaust tip better

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried that too. At the end I concluded that they sound identical. no need to spend 650 more. I also like single oval shape exhaust tip better
I like the look of the duel sport tips a little more than the single tip, so I didn't mind spending the $650.
Very glad to hear (no pun) that they sound identical, thanks omidoo.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
And if you want to just get silly....do the quick exhaust-coupler-mod. It's ridiculous but a lot of fun. *Insane* sounds from the car. The off-throttle gurgles are just I-am-13-years-old-and-can't-stop-giggling fun. The rev-matching on downshifts are ear-splitting loud. Fast/easy to return to 100% stock with no $$$$ involved either switch. I did this on my Base 987C and it was nice....but on the Base 981C it's just nutty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like the look of the duel sport tips a little more than the single tip, so I didn't mind spending the $650.
Here's something for you think about: Suncoast sells the range of dual exhaust tips (s/sport/gts) that range from $450 to $600. Given that the tip is an exhaust part that shouldn't be too difficult to install/replace with basic tools, you can order your car with the standard oval tip, buy the set of tips you want separately, try them out to see if there is any harmonic difference. If there isn't, sell the original tips and save money. If you don't like the new sound, sell the new tips and save money.

Either way, you're saving money on what should be a pretty straightforward install. I'm choosing to do the same with tinted lights.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Was lucky enough to get my chrome tips off a fellow forumite who switched his stock PSE tips for black GTS tips. Paid 350. :banana: Looks great with my Zunsport rear grilles and tinted tails. Install took me 20 min. I wanted the chrome tips to match the chrome Porsche badging. The stock "mouth" tip is satin brushed finish btw.

Now for some photowhoerin!

Untitled by rubber_chicken, on Flickr

vs...

·
Registered
130 Posts
One more detail to add... The Chrome tips stick out about 1/2" past the lower valence. The single tip is flush...

Yup... more photowhoerin!!:banana:

It's all about the base, about the base, about the base, base Cayman

·
Registered
106 Posts
PHEW! It did not ever occur to me that there might be a difference in the sound. I did exactly the same as you, test drove an "oval" tip but ordered the Sports tips as I really prefer the look. Have to admit that I'm glad to learn (see what I did there? ;)) they sound the same.

There are aftermarket sports tips for sale here (UK) too, but the price is so close to the OEM I saw no point in bothering. Porsche charge £350 IIRC, aftermarkets are about £300, just not worth the hassle.

Eight days to go :dance:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I test drove 2 2014 base Cayman's with PDK one with the oval tip and another with the chrome sport tips. The first test drive was with sport tips. The sound was great at 4k+rpm I could hear the exhaust from the rear of the car with windows closed. The second test drive was with the oval tip. I thought to myself this car has a lot less sound from the exhaust. The cabin was much quieter seems like it also had much less symphoniser sound also. I prefered the sound of the sport tip. When my 2015 base (manual trans) arrived I changed the tip to the GTS black tip. Again the GTS tip sounded much better in car than the oval tip did . It also hides the black soot better. Soot buildup happens in just a few miles. My 2008 base Cayman had no soot even after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ohhh, so we have two people saying no difference and another saying big difference.

As I have opted for the sport tips, doesn't matter to me as either way, as I'm getting the better sounding and IMO looking option :hilarious:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be happy if the Sport Tips sounds a little louder than the Oval tip.

I had heard stories that the Base’s exhaust note was very satisfactory vs. the Cayman 'S' exhaust note.
Some have claimed it's because of the duel tips of the 'S' vs. the Base's single Oval.

Others have claimed it's due to the particular maximization of the two different engines (2.7 vs. 3.4).
In that the 2.7 is already maxed out performance wise, so it's screaming in the upper RPM's,
whereas the 3.4 has been detuned (protecting the 911 from embarrassment), so it’s never really in the screaming territory.

So with the 3.4 you’d need the PSE to get a great exhaust note.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of any of this.. it's just what I've been reading.. and it had me somewhat concerned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ohhh, so we have two people saying no difference and another saying big difference.

As I have opted for the sport tips, doesn't matter to me as either way, as I'm getting the better sounding and IMO looking option :hilarious:
FinFerNan... let us know how it sounds when you get yours.

·
Registered
106 Posts
FinFerNan... let us know how it sounds when you get yours.
I'll be happy too. However, it might be a week or two before I really press the loud pedal and as you'll know the sound only really hits the WAIL above 6500 rpm. Also, I'm told that the exhaust changes it's tone slightly as it settles in.

I don't know this for sure, but my guess is the tip(s) will make little or no discernable difference to the sound. What I do know, is the test driver I had, was a 2.7 pdk with the stock tip, and it sounded, ermm how do I put this? Oh yes...........fanbloodytastic :banana:

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
As promised, my initial thoughts on the standard oval pipe Vs the twin pipes.

Really difficult to be certain, but I'm fairly sure the twin pipes add a slightly less raspy and a little more bass heavy note. As I said in my earlier post, it's a bit early as I've not really gone above 5-6000 rpm and the whole system is still very new. But from what I can tell, it sounds as sweet as a sweet thing on a honey binge.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts