Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my first issue today. Nice surprise. But, can any one tell me where the title for the magazine comes from? I mean, Christophorus, how does that relate to Porsche?:confused:

·
Club Donor
768 Posts
Not sure but the name means "Christ Bearer".

So maybe it means a porsche drives like Holy Christ? heh heh

P.S. I think I will get flamed for this thought

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Always thought it was German for "watch catalog"...
While I believe that just might be the 21st century interpretation... I believe Christophorus, is another way of saying Saint Christopher...

Saint Christopher (Greek: Άγιος Χριστόφορος) was a saint venerated by Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians, listed as a martyr killed in the reign of the 3rd century Roman emperor Decius (reigned 249 - 251).

--------------------------> In Catholicism he is considered the patron saint of travellers.
brad

·
Premium Member
841 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
It doesn't hurt to ask...

After reading this thread, it bugged me that I can't find the meaning of Christophorus and how it relates to Porsche any where online. So I send Porsche an email and here's the reply I got:
=====================================================================================

Dear Mr. Li,

thanks for your question about the name of our Customer Magazine Christophorus.

Here is the story behind it:

Christophorus, the official magazine for Porsche owners and enthusiasts, has remained true to its mission since racecar driver and journalist Richard von Frankenberg and graphic artist Erich Strenger founded it in 1952. For nearly 50 years, Christophorus has offered Porsche drivers and fans a spiritual home and considers itself a primary ambassador, mediator and communicator between Porsche and its worldwide customers. Christophorus is both a fascination and information medium.

Von Frankenberg aptly named the magazine after Christophorus – the legendary carrier of the Christ child and the patron saint of all drivers – when he created the first issue for the more than 1,000 Porsche owners around the world. Today, more than 260,000 copies of Christophorus are distributed worldwide in six different languages. The magazine is published six times a year (every other month beginning with January) and is distributed the last week of the month.

We hope this information was what you were looking for!

Best regards
Sebastian Mackensen

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
".... the patron saint of all drivers ...."

Understandable "mod" from Porsche. Beez was correct above. I didn't know the slick mag dated back to 1952, however. Received my new "watch catalog" just yesterday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Christophorus is the name for "a person who carries Christ" - I would assume that means a Christian person.

So should I put a St. Christopher medal on my dashboard, or perhaps a little plastic figurine? Are those available for purchase in the next issue? If they're made by Porsche they will probably be very expensive. ;)

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Christophorus is the name for "a person who carries Christ" - I would assume that means a Christian person.

So should I put a St. Christopher medal on my dashboard, or perhaps a little plastic figurine? Are those available for purchase in the next issue? If they're made by Porsche they will probably be very expensive. ;)

I am thinking Bobble Head with suction cups or something from South of the Border.

Now when my wife and I finally "Christened" our Cayman S last weekend - OMG and Christ was mentioned a few times. I believe we are well protected. That is what Christophorus means to me.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
My wife insists I carry a St. Christopher medallion necklace with me when I travel (by plane). It's supposed to keep me safe. I suppose driving is traveling. Thanks for the post Daytona, I'd also wondered but never got around to check into it :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts