Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Caymanatic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to Sebring this weekend for a Chin Motorsports event on Saturday. I have a set of 19" wheels with Michelin PS2's which I have been using for the track, and I keep another set of 19's on the car for street use. The PS2 which I use on track have been great thus far, even tire wear, etc., but I just noticed that the rear tires are at wear bands (2/32" of tread left). They have slightly more wear in the middle than the outside edges (which look quite good on both sides). My question is, as long as I stay away from any wet conditions (there is no rain in the forecast) are these tires still "safe" to use for one day on the track (warm up + four 20 minute sessions), or should I change them before the event? Thanks for input! :thanks:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The Chin website said only that you need enough tread to complete the event. Some drivers are better than others at managing tire wear. My guess is that you have at least enough tread for the one day. I should mention, however, that my PS2s rears had lost some of their grip as they approached the wear bars. They were also over 3 years old by that time.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
You are most likely ok with the thread. I found the tires got a little more slippery as they approached the wear bars. They also transmitted a lot more of the road noise and impact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chances are those tires are heat-cycled out. The grip on the Sebring concrete in excellent, so they'll have some grip.

The issue comes in if the fronts are in much better shape, the rear will want to step out--especially in the bumpy high-speed sections like turns 1 & 17--be careful...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.