Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boxster base is my daily driver, but I work from home. The only times I'd really drive it is to do small errands around town, or the weekends for a trip.

My question is, I see most people recommend 8-10K oil change interval, given that someone drives the car that much in a short time. What if I don't drive any where near 8k miles in a year? Let's say I drive my car 4K miles in a year, should I just change the oil annually?

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
625 Posts
Once a year oil change on short distance driven cars and oil temperature not getting more than 95*C is a very good idea. I always make sure my car reach >95*C oil temp when it's not going to be used for more than 5 days or before winter storage to expel water condensate and evaporate any fuel mixed in the oil (if there is any).

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, 2017 GTI
58 Posts
I agree, also, just change oil and filter once a year regardless of miles. Sometimes moisture builds up in the oil just from sitting around and over time, if not burned off completely, can affect oil quality so just change the oil once a year. I do mine every June on all my cars so it's easy to remember.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got my oil changed at Porsche today. The service technician also said they fill half a cup below the recommended due to the sensitive sensor.
Feels nice to drive without any error lights.

also, I would never get my oil changed at that specific Porsche dealer ever again. The service advisor made me feel like he had no time for any of my questions, and like he was annoyed with dealing with me. Everyone else was wonderful. But that one bad apple really left a bad taste in my mouth. Regardless if I’m getting an oil change under warranty, they’re still getting paid.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
625 Posts
I learned from my first DIY oil change too. I refilled 7.5 litres and got an over fill warning light 2 weeks after driving. Since then, I am now putting 7 litres only and top-up as needed, I agree on 1/2 cup add. Just did it again yesterday. I have peace of mind doing it myself and saving $ from dealer price or indie mechanic/garage. :)

·
Administrator
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
699 Posts
Interesting:
VERY applicable to this question:

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
710 Posts
Once a year.. spring time. I have 400 miles on one and 600 on the other. I know guys that change it before winter storage and then in the spring, so it sits all winter never gets used and change it again… if it has 8-10k miles then I can see it, but not again in the spring

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
43 Posts
I drive less than 3K miles per year. And I change the oil before storing my CaymanS for the winter. The logic is to avoid the contaminations in the oil from doing damages to the seals, the metals, etc. in the engine. No oil change when I take it out of storage in the Spring though.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
710 Posts
I drive less than 3K miles per year. And I change the oil before storing my CaymanS for the winter. The logic is to avoid the contaminations in the oil from doing damages to the seals, the metals, etc. in the engine. No oil change when I take it out of storage in the Spring though.
That’s almost the better idea really

·
Registered
22 Posts
2007 Cayman S. Change it myself. 3000 miles or every 6 months - oil and filter. I have always been less than 3000 miles so change interval is 6 months. Also send it out for Blackstone analysis.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Changing it for storage is nice but it favors unlikely seal damage over component lubrication in my humble opinion. In storage the oil sits in the bottom of the lubrication system, collecting moisture. So when you start driving it again you have reduced lubrication due to moisture in the oil that would take some heat cycles to completely burn out. I don't believe used oil will attack your seals but high moisture content and natural degradation of being exposed to air over months means you start driving with degraded oil. Not to mention you probably did run it a little bit after the oil change so you have already introduced the same contaminants for storage. Unless you change oil and don't start but in that case you have old oil in the system.

Ideally changing both before and after would be the holy grail but if only once, it makes more sense to have fresh oil when you start driving. Moisture in the oil is bad especially when the car has been sitting a long time. Your car hasn't blown up so probably just a matter of degree, but for one oil change a year, fresh oil when you start driving again, seems to make more sense to save the bearings on engine components over an unlikely corrosive byproduct that might damage your seals. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
43 Posts
Changing it for storage is nice but it favors unlikely seal damage over component lubrication in my humble opinion. In storage the oil sits in the bottom of the lubrication system, collecting moisture. So when you start driving it again you have reduced lubrication due to moisture in the oil that would take some heat cycles to completely burn out. I don't believe used oil will attack your seals but high moisture content and natural degradation of being exposed to air over months means you start driving with degraded oil. Not to mention you probably did run it a little bit after the oil change so you have already introduced the same contaminants for storage. Unless you change oil and don't start but in that case you have old oil in the system.

Ideally changing both before and after would be the holy grail but if only once, it makes more sense to have fresh oil when you start driving. Moisture in the oil is bad especially when the car has been sitting a long time. Your car hasn't blown up so probably just a matter of degree, but for one oil change a year, fresh oil when you start driving again, seems to make more sense to save the bearings on engine components over an unlikely corrosive byproduct that might damage your seals. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for sharing.
Agree, it's ideal to change before and after storage. I am starting to think about changing the oil only after taking the car out of winter storage. And drive the car hard to burn off fuel, moisture, etc out of the used oil before putting the car into storage.
BTW, I also do Blackstone oil analysis for every oil change. Luckily, the used oil looks perfectly fine every time, without fuel, coolant, etc. contamination and all the metal wears are within range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once a year for me. I'm putting about ~4000 miles annually on my Cayman S as a weekend/evening driver. I store it over the winter starting Dec 1st, pulling it out around Mid-March. I'm typically having the oil change once a year near the end of the season (late Oct, Early Nov) before storing. My mechanic doesn't recommend anything more frequent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agree, it's ideal to change before and after storage. I am starting to think about changing the oil only after taking the car out of winter storage. And drive the car hard to burn off fuel, moisture, etc out of the used oil before putting the car into storage.
BTW, I also do Blackstone oil analysis for every oil change. Luckily, the used oil looks perfectly fine every time, without fuel, coolant, etc. contamination and all the metal wears are within range.
Yes, synthetic oil is a lot more durable. My understanding driving the car longer is better for burning off contaminants than running hard. If you run hard with water/contaminants in the system, not a good idea. Better to take mellow long drive not stressing the motor until all the stuff is burned off. Again, my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2007 Cayman S. Change it myself. 3000 miles or every 6 months - oil and filter. I have always been less than 3000 miles so change interval is 6 months. Also send it out for Blackstone analysis.
4-5K mile DIY oil / filter changes on my 07CS or every 6 mo. Use Blackstone UOA testing also; Super results; Strong healthy motor. Driven DT40 5W-40 oil; LN spin on filter adaptor w NAPA filters. Florida car no winters, yeah!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts