Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may get crucified for this, but here it goes...

I really like the glossy, all black wheel look--without the silver lip that the 20" Carrera S wheels have. Is there a way to just paint the lip, without powder coating the whole wheel?

Any body shop or wheel guys have any ideas?

Any input is appreciated :)

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Question about painting the silver lip of the 20" Carrera S wheels-- possible?

You certainly could paint just the lip but it would be difficult to match it up to the current black. If you wanted a pinstripe of another color that would probably look good still. One other thing to note is that the barrels of the stock black wheels are actually silver as well. Powdercoating the entire set would be your best bet for a uniform look.

On a side note, I think you messaged me about my silver 20" Carrera S wheels on ebay (suskompany?) haha. Still have them if you're still interested ;)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Re: Question about painting the silver lip of the 20" Carrera S wheels-- possible?

One other thing to note is that the barrels of the stock black wheels are actually silver as well.
There were actually several versions of the black 20" Carrera S wheels. The one's owned by the OP and myself were referred to as painted in black (partially), and yes they have the silver barrels. I think that there were also a gloss black and a satin black. They were entirely black.

Depending upon what look is wanted, the powdercoating would be the best, but also the most expensive, especially if you only want the silver rim painted. There is a fairly recent thread about using the stripe kits. Not sure if I have seen any feedback from someone that has used one of them.

Reactions: Keslrnr

·
Registered
9 Posts

I've had two silver barrel rims replaced (nasty incident with a bit of angle metal on the road ... failed to avoid - sadness ... failed to crash ... happiness) and the other two shop painted two match the new black barrel wheels with the silver pin stripe.

Two points ... curb scuffing the pin stripe looks terrible, but not as bad as scuffed black. ... and scuffing can happen at speed on uneven roads ... not just parking

Secondly - powder coat is better than several coats of paint shop gloss ... next time I will get them powder coated black and probably pin striped by hand if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.