Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one,

I have a 2015 981 Boxster GTS , which comes with PSE as standard.
One question I have is about the difference PSE makes on the sound beside from pops and bangs.
At stationary and low speed driving, either in Sport or normal mode, I cant feel PSE on and off make any sound difference to the car.

Is this normal , or something is up with the Exhaust system or PSE ?

Those with PSE can tell a noticeable sound difference when you turn PSE on and off when stationary ? Is it significant?

Thanks

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
That's normal. Essentially no change at idle. PSE really wakes up above 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
PSE only works while stationary at full operating temperature, FYI. And yes, you can hear the difference at idle, but barely. The biggest difference is when on the throttle, and the harder on it, the louder it is. Just do a simple test and you'll know if it's working or not. At idle, and with engine hot, do some aggressive throttle blips in N with PSE off and then on. The difference should be like day and night. With it off, the engine sounds nice, but muted. With it on, it sounds like a race car. When you can barely notice the difference is with the windows up, and only on the droning zone. It should be quieter inside the car with it off; that's the only criticism some of us have, but that's a small price to pay for the symphonic sound it produces;).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, there is a noticeable increase in sound when PSE is turned on at idle. I generally wait until the car is warmed up before hitting the sport button (or sport+, PSE buttons). Sitting at a stand still at idle you should hear a difference. :cool:

·
Registered
437 Posts
No difference at Idle in my opinion but not sure why there would be. PSE is supposed to operate flaps around 3 or 4k rpms, that way you still maintain your low end torque (closed) and when it could benefit during higher RPM's flaps open.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
At least on my 2016 GTS, when PSE is on, it's on all the time, including idle (except while engine is cold at idle). I use manual, PSE and sport modes 100% of the time (hit the sport button and turn HVAC off before starting engine).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your input.
It is interesting to see some can tell the difference at idle and others ( including me ) can't even when engine is warm.
Could it be related to the exhaust that is used? Are there different exhaust types which come with PSE for 981 ?

I did a try to ensure the PSE button works. When ignition is On, i press PSE and I can hear some form of actuator moving in exhaust which could be the flap.

interesting thing is Exhaust is much louder on cold starts ( till idle drops) than when it is driven around the same RPM when engine warms up. I guess there is additional flap which is activated during cold start ups.

Any info on this would be great :)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If you want to know if PSE is working properly, just blip the throttle hard in neutral (stationary), like I said, and unless you're deaf, you'll clearly hear the difference. If you switch it on and off with the door open at idle, you can hear it too, but the diffrence is subtle. With the doors closed at idle, you won't hear it. At cold start, valves are always closed. If open, it'd be much louder. That's why they're only closed when cold, I'd guess. On some models and/or markets, valves open and close at specific intervals, as evidenced by a video somewhere. But on my GTS, they stay open all the time, which is the way I like it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Any info on this would be great :)
First thing to do is to activate Sport button. Without Sport button, at least in the Cayman, the difference is very subtle. Yes, you can still hear the difference, but it is very subtle. Unless you activate Sport button, you will be chasing this for weeks to come.

Second, do what other people told you - with a car stationary and oil up to 200 degrees, blip the throttle to about 4-5,000 rpm with and without PSE button ON. If you cannot hear the difference using Sport+PSE at 200 degrees oil temp AND at 4-5,000 rpm, then you need to see the dealer.

Once you established whether it works or not, feel free to discover all other subtleties in all possible combinations of buttons and at all rpms - with cold and warm engine. They all sound slightly differently :)

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Yes, there is a noticeable increase in sound when PSE is turned on at idle. I generally wait until the car is warmed up before hitting the sport button (or sport+, PSE buttons). Sitting at a stand still at idle you should hear a difference. :cool:
Instead of selecting the sports button, select the PSE button and see if you detect a difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is my impression, and I just drove 90 miles this morning:

Running in the "unsport" mode and cruising down the highway in 7th at 80mph, the activation of the PSE on/off has little to no appreciable impact on the sound in the cabin.
Running in the Sport/Sport-Plus mode, PSE on, when moving up and down through the gears is more noticeable inside and a different can be heard. Sport-Plus seems to heighten the pops and bangs on down shift.
Running in "unsport" mode, PSE on, the same is true, but it is just lessened.

BTW, I like the sound that is made in a closed garage of starting the car with PSE ON and SPORT-PLUS activated.

My wife's 2014 Jaguar F-Type V8S Vert still puts it to shame for "obnoxious" at start-up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Instead of selecting the sports button, select the PSE button and see if you detect a difference.
You may have a point. When selecting the sport button (in addition to turning on the PSE) it raises the engine speed (RPM) slightly. This may amplify the PSE sound effect somewhat. I'll try to remember to do what you suggest and see what I hear.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
You may have a point. When selecting the sport button (in addition to turning on the PSE) it raises the engine speed (RPM) slightly. This may amplify the PSE sound effect somewhat. I'll try to remember to do what you suggest and see what I hear.
Yep, you've got it right in terms of what the sports button does. I've found a significant difference in the amount of popping sounds made when the sports button is activated versus just the PSE button. When just the PSE button is selected, the popping is reduced significantly, at least it is in my car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I tried this today and could not really tell the difference. I was sitting at idle with a fully warmed up engine and manual tranny in neutral. I hit the PSE button without selecting sport or sport+.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I almost never turn on PSE by itself, so I can't answer the OP question exactly. But, I wait until the car is warmed up and then push Sport or Sport Plus either of which also turn on PSE.

I definitely notice a difference when the button is pushed. It's subtle, but the exhaust drops an octave even at idle and on acceleration sounds a lot more raw and throaty, even below 4k.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I almost never turn on PSE by itself, so I can't answer the OP question exactly. But, I wait until the car is warmed up and then push Sport or Sport Plus either of which also turn on PSE.

I definitely notice a difference when the button is pushed. It's subtle, but the exhaust drops an octave even at idle and on acceleration sounds a lot more raw and throaty, even below 4k.
I'll bet the crackle and pops are very apparent also? I don't have PSE, but clearly can hear the crackles and pops. They sound more like a powerful thunder clap in the distance for me. Sport mode seems to make it louder and easier to do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah, "distant thunder" is a good way to describe the exhaust booms. Even once fooled a passenger once into thinking it really was thunder :)

I think the pops and crackles are a bit louder in Sport rather that Sport Plus because of the auto rev-matching in Sport Plus. When upshifting in Sport, the revs will fall a bit, resulting in more booms and crackles, but in Sport Plus, the car seems to hold the RPM between shifts, so less exhaust sputter...

That's my theory anyway.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, "distant thunder" is a good way to describe the exhaust booms. Even once fooled a passenger once into thinking it really was thunder :)

I think the pops and crackles are a bit louder in Sport rather that Sport Plus because of the auto rev-matching in Sport Plus. When upshifting in Sport, the revs will fall a bit, resulting in more booms and crackles, but in Sport Plus, the car seems to hold the RPM between shifts, so less exhaust sputter...

That's my theory anyway.
I think I prefer this "distant thunder" over the pops and crackles that I hear from PSE. I'd like the thunder to be a little closer though, if that makes any sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.