Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. My '06 CS has been exhibiting some weird behaviour during these past couple of weeks that it has been hot (+30C). I am looking for ideas that might help me trouble shoot the issues. Two weeks ago after driving it, the car refused to start. It would crank, but not fire.

Then a week ago I got a startup beep and a temperature notification. Nothing serious, just a beep one afternoon (+33C) after driving. The next day, when it was cold, no issues were noted. After driving and sitting for an hour, I started it and got two beeps when starting it. No other problems were noted such as not firing. I purchased some distilled water and added it to the cooling system, but it only took about a cup or two and it was full.

Today after driving for an hour, I parked the car and went to re-start it after three hours (+31C). Again, the engine cranked but refused to fire. Then - it just started. How? Why?

I am beginning to suspect electrical gremlins, because it has not displayed any issues at all during the cooler months. Just since the weather turned hot.

So, any ideas? Would a Durametric readout help? Could it be the MAF, or...?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Do you see the check engine light?
Durametric would be helpful. My guesses in no particular order would be crank position sensor, fuel pump, age of battery, cleanliness of battery ground cable connection to body.

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob! Battery is in good condition, battery ground cable very clean and connection to body very good but will confirm. (Radio and A/C fan works though, so I am less likely to follow this avenue). Fuel pump or crank position sensor are both interesting vectors. I will start researching the crank position sensor immediately. Might also check the fuel pump as well. One additional thing that I recall; since I have owned it, the car tends to backfire on the left side when I rev to downshift. Normally from fourth gear to third gear is the most noticeable. Again, the temperature sensitivity issue, it is worse when the temperature is around 0 C. Everything I have read indicates that this boxer engine is prone
to some back firing. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
There was an old thread about a starting issue when the engine was hot. Engine always started right up on the first cold start of the day. But stop for a couple minutes, run into a store or something, and it wouldn't restart while engine was hot. The solution was replacing some type of engine temperature sensor that was indicating the cold engine fuel mixture instead of the hot engine fuel mixture or the reverse not sure. But this sensor, which was relatively inexpensive, was the culprit, because it was dictating the wrong hot engine fuel/air mixture. A thread search might turn something up. Keep us posted.:cheers:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Budman! I started the car this morning, and got a temperature sensor failure notice on the canbus. Fortunately, I ordered a replacement from a parts supplier yesterday. Now I just have to park it for a week or so until I get a chance to install it.

Thanks again for the replies folks. The support that one receives from other owners is priceless.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I was going to say engine temp sensor that goes into the plastic piece on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Boiler Inspector! After reading through the numerous and varied posts about similar conditions from other users, I had ascertained that the coolant sensor was the likely culprit. This is the part that I have ordered (and, because I tend to lose stuff pretty regularly - I also ordered the o-ring and the retaining ring as well.) Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 8.22.30 AM.png

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I was forced to start the car and move it. It appears now now that the sensor is healed and it does not throw an error. Even after multiple startings and shut offs. So, when the new sensor gets here I will replace the old one and double check the connections. I always assumed that theses things were a good/not good type of device? If so, then I am chasing an electrical gremlin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, after replacing the temperature sensor, I no longer get any sort of indication of abnormal temperatures. The job took about an hour, as I wanted to learn how to take the engine covers off anyways. However, it was a challenge doing any work on the engine from the interior.

One thing I have learned to watch for is the rubber gasket. As someone else had posted, theirs remained in the engine after they had removed the sensor, as did mine. The upshot of the situation was that I was then force to dig for it, releasing more coolant than I should have. And, due to the excellent lubricating properties of the P-car coolant, I had trouble hanging on to anything after that. So, things became a bit of a slippery mess. All in all, I think I lost about a litre of coolant. I replaced it with distilled water and now I am fat, dumb and happy.

Thanks to all for their excellent postings and articles! I have learned a lot, and am SLIGHTLY less scared of working on my baby!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts