Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In todays mail I got a letter from the Porsche Dealership from which I purchased my 981S. In the letter was a proactive offer specifying a guaranteed attractive offer for my 981 and an equally attractive offer on a 2017 Boxster S. I have until August 31 to accept their offer. As a many decade owner of Porsches, I have never received a letter like this in the past. Just wondering if this offer is particular to this Dealership or whether other Dealers are making comparable offers. I suppose another example of how anxious Dealers are to move 718s.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I did not get this letter from my Porsche dealer, but I did get the same letter offering me a set amount for my long gone 2009 Corvette from a local GM dealer. I think this is just a standard sales pitch.

Reactions: James III and RickH

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's a sales pitch, given away by the offer for a new 718.

Toyota did this on my Lexus is350. While they didn't give me an offer on a new Toyota, they added in that they have many great offers on new cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
In todays mail I got a letter from the Porsche Dealership from which I purchased my 981S. In the letter was a proactive offer specifying a guaranteed attractive offer for my 981 and an equally attractive offer on a 2017 Boxster S.
I have cars I sold years ago, and I still get letters from dealers offering deals because "people want my model". Sure. I still get them. What they are really saying, IMO, is

"Give me your money"

Now there is one thing happening and thats on RL there is some discussion of 991 depreciation leveling out prematurely. I checked and it appears to be true to some degree. I would assume the same would be true for the 981. So there might be a tiny bit of truth in good offers but they could also just want your money.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Now there is one thing happening and thats on RL there is some discussion of 991 depreciation leveling out prematurely. I checked and it appears to be true to some degree. I would assume the same would be true for the 981. So there might be a tiny bit of truth in good offers but they could also just want your money.
Could you explain the depreciation leveling out prematurely for me. I can think of two or three different ways this could be interpreted. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
Could you explain the depreciation leveling out prematurely for me. I can think of two or three different ways this could be interpreted. Thanks
Sure, leveling out was the wrong word. Car values drop quickly years 1 - 3. Then the curve goes lower slower, then levels out to near a flat line never really going to zero. Where it levels out depends upon model and desirability. I should have said, the curve is slowing down, the car value not dropping as fast as expected. Here is the thread. I had no idea what they were talking about but they are talking about it like here and I think in the 900 page sticky on sales. So I looked it up on BB trade-in values and the cars are higher valued than my guess (not that is saying much). I tracked it for 5 weeks and prices stayed steady for 3 weeks now dropping a bit. They might be on to something. Why? You can read there theories

The stock market thing might be real. The cars are toys. Owners (not leasers) tend to buy as toys, for road or track and pay cash. The NA vs Turbo thing is real, as obvious from the 981 vs 718 arguments. 911 sales are down too. And the prices have become ridiculous. I've seen complaints about they just cost to much, just like here. Even if they are toys, I think people do not like the idea of the price increases for what, a few tenths of a second quicker? And the low mileage cars are getting a 10% or so bump in value. High mileage 911s loose value. Maybe leasers don't care.

So maybe its all three things: stock bubble, turbos, and pricing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is a common sales pitch i received one for my wife's 2012 Toyota highlander, they make money on both sides of both cars. Great deal for them, not great for the owner

Reactions: drewpt

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am a Realtor in California. I have clients that would purchase your home for a very strong price and then we can get you into something nicer and newer and more expensive! Then I can afford to send the kids to private school. :)

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a common sales pitch i received one for my wife's 2012 Toyota highlander, they make money on both sides of both cars. Great deal for them, not great for the owner
What surprised me was how definitive the offer was. The offer for my 981S was in line with KBB, very good. They even specified the maximum mileage on my car for the trade-in offer, and stated that if my mileage were greater, their offer may be adjusted. I have my car serviced at the dealership, so they were just about on target on my mileage. The offer they made was an out the door price for a 718S Boxster. So all taxes and fees were included, and final price was specified. In MD we only pay taxes on the difference between the negotiated price and what we are offered for our trade-in. After I looked up the price for a 718S Boxster without any options and deducted the trade-in price they specified for my car, taxes and dealership fees, it looks like they are offering me around 6.5% discount on the 718S. Nothing spectacular but not bad for a proactive offer. If nothing else someone spent some time customizing this offer for my car.

As a many decade Porsche owner, I have never received anything like this in the past. Based on the replies it appears as though this offer is specific to my Dealer. I have to give them credit for being so proactive, and taking the time to come up with such a customized offer. Unfortunately for Porsche, I'm not interested in a 718.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dealer (Atlanta) also sent me a letter/offer. Actually, they sent it in an email prior to receiving the letter. One thing was different for sure. I didn't consider the offer to be a good one at all. I replied that I was not interested in the 718 but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
These offers are common enough but this time they may actually be a bit more motivated than usual, even aside from slow sales on the 718. The EPA has apparently been holding a lot of 2018 cars hostage at port, reportedly until the end of September for certain models. If the dealers are running low on new inventory, they may need to move more used cars to keep their salesmen happy.

Supposedly the 911s have been released at port, but not the 718s.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sure, leveling out was the wrong word. Car values drop quickly years 1 - 3. Then the curve goes lower slower, then levels out to near a flat line never really going to zero. Where it levels out depends upon model and desirability. I should have said, the curve is slowing down, the car value not dropping as fast as expected. Here is the thread. I had no idea what they were talking about but they are talking about it like here and I think in the 900 page sticky on sales. So I looked it up on BB trade-in values and the cars are higher valued than my guess (not that is saying much). I tracked it for 5 weeks and prices stayed steady for 3 weeks now dropping a bit. They might be on to something. Why? You can read there theories

The stock market thing might be real. The cars are toys. Owners (not leasers) tend to buy as toys, for road or track and pay cash. The NA vs Turbo thing is real, as obvious from the 981 vs 718 arguments. 911 sales are down too. And the prices have become ridiculous. I've seen complaints about they just cost to much, just like here. Even if they are toys, I think people do not like the idea of the price increases for what, a few tenths of a second quicker? And the low mileage cars are getting a 10% or so bump in value. High mileage 911s loose value. Maybe leasers don't care.

So maybe its all three things: stock bubble, turbos, and pricing.
Thanks, that made sense.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have received similar offers, especially over the past year or so, for my 2012 BMW 335i which I traded in on my Cayman. These came from every BMW dealer I contacted when searching for the BMW and included mail as well as e-mail solicitations. Of course, they all wanted me to "step up" to a more powerful and more fuel efficient 435i model. I have not received anything from Porsche but maybe that is because I am already negotiating with several dealers on the 2018 Cayman I plan to order for May delivery.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think they tend to send out these letters when they're having a slow sales month and want to meet their monthly quotas. That's why they want you to take them up on buying a new car before the 31st.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think they tend to send out these letters when they're having a slow sales month and want to meet their monthly quotas. That's why they want you to take them up on buying a new car before the 31st.
Yep. I have until August 31 to accept their offer. First time I ever got a proactive sales offer from a Porsche dealership. I agree, sales must be slow.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is getting to be ridiculous. I received another proactive offer for a trade-in of my 981S for a 718S. This is the third offer from the dealership in the last six months. The second was in December and the third came today, January 17. The only difference in this offer is that they reference incentives from Porsche, and request that I call the Sales Manager for details. I've owned 911s for decades and have never been contacted by the dealer before regarding proactive trade-in offers. If I had interest in the 718, I would contact the Sales Manager just to see what kind of deal they were offering.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A lovely roundabout way to try and get you into a new car (and potentially new financing through them)...any longer they can keep you on their payment chain...

I just toss those offers with the rest of the junk mail...straight into the trash!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.