Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Porsche website and it says that the new GT4 does 0-60 in 4.2 sec, while the GTS with PDK does 4.3 (the manual GTS says 4.6). So, is the GT4 really only 0.1 secs faster? It is not as if the GTS handles poorly (it's amazing), and you can buy carbon brakes if you want on both, so does it really just come down to whether you like rowing your own gears and the big wing (which does look very cool)? I just bought a GTS a few months ago, and love it, but am debating whether to take the loss and get the GT4. Note also I don't live in Germany so don't do the "Ring" every day. The reason I went ahead and got the GTS was that I thought the GT4 was going to be a lot more expensive (and faster).

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm looking at the Porsche website and it says that the new GT4 does 0-60 in 4.2 sec, while the GTS with PDK does 4.3 (the manual GTS says 4.6). So, is the GT4 really only 0.1 secs faster? It is not as if the GTS handles poorly (it's amazing), and you can buy carbon brakes if you want on both, so does it really just come down to whether you like rowing your own gears and the big wing (which does look very cool)? I just bought a GTS a few months ago, and love it, but am debating whether to take the loss and get the GT4. Note also I don't live in Germany so don't do the "Ring" every day. The reason I went ahead and got the GTS was that I thought the GT4 was going to be a lot more expensive (and faster).
Reading the reviews the GT4 seems to be quite a rework of a lot of components in order to allow the 3.8 to fit.

I would have also thought that a PDK version of the GT4 is also in the pipeline...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The 0-60 numbers don't tell the whole story. The comparison manual to manual is the better indicator so it's a 0.4 second difference, which is really something.

Remember that the PDK has 7 gears and launch control to eke every last bit of traction it can out of it. It's not just about the power.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
From Feb 2015 car and driver regarding the GT4:

Porsche claims the newest Cayman can hit 183 mph and sprint from zero to 60 mph in just 4.2 seconds. That acceleration figure is, like all of Porsche’s performance estimates, almost comically conservative. Our 325-hp long-term 2014 Cayman S reaches 60 mph in 4.2 seconds, and while Porsche hasn’t outlined specifics regarding the GT4’s weight, it’ll likely weigh less than any other Cayman. Figure on a sub-four-second zero-to-60 run once we strap our test gear to the car, considering we achieved 4.2 with a manual-equipped Cayman S.

So if all you want is 4.2s, you already have it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why are u so worried about 0-60 times??

You r driving wrong brand of vehicle If thats the only thing that matters to you. Go get a muscle car!!!

Gt4 and most porsches are made for driving pleasure, not 0-60 times..

·
Registered
183 Posts
does it really just come down to whether you like rowing your own gears and the big wing (which does look very cool)?
Not at all. The question is do you want a street car, or a car that's significantly compromised (worse) on the street in order to be better on the track.

The GT4 is not a "better" GTS. It's very different in mission and hence street-ability. See this graph, then read the thread at the bottom...

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/10...eally-best-fit-all-post924065.html#post924065

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks petevb, that was a very useful link. I thought about how I would use the car--as a satisfying daily driver--and to convince myself, just went for an hour drive in my GTS. I did some canyon twistys, did some highway cruising, and also had to sit in LA some traffic. I realize I don't want my bones rattled every day, I don't want to slow down for every bump to avoid scraping, and I don't want my rear visibility impaired by a big wing. The GTS is definitely the car for me…but I have a feeling the GT4 is going to one helluva ride for you track guys!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts