Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 2008 cayman as my first porsche and had a question on the car history. The car has 55k , looks perfect, drives nice, and is certified. When going thru the car fax the dealer provided, I had noticed it had 3 owners already. First one for 1.4 yrs, second one for 3 months, third one for 3.7 yrs. Is this normal? Dealer wants 31900 for the car, is that price for this reasonable? Kbb puts this at a range of 27 - 29. Any opinions or things I should consider? What are the drawbacks to buying one not certified? The car does come with a 2 yr 50k warranty as well. Thanks in advance for any advice, wife is pissed I want one, I was going to consider a new Accord, but am at that point where I could afford one and who wants an Accord anyway? When considering the cost vs fun equation, and we already have a car for kids and crap as it goes, why not?

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Welcome. See Trade-in Values and plug in the numbers. Black book lists retail at ~27 - 31K. a CPO car, certified, is a good thing. Read this Porsche Approved Certified Limited Warranty - Porsche Approved - Pre-owned Cars - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

I think 2008 is the old engine. You should watch out for IMS issues. Search this forum or read this IMS Porsche Settlement Class Action Lawsuit Information Center | IMS Porsche Settlement It might effect that engine. I don't know the numbers but apparently very few. There are solutions. Someone here will let you know but search here and you will find something. I wouldn't worry about the number of owners. The car is 7 yeas old and some people turn around cars quickly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am looking to purchase a 2008 cayman as my first porsche and had a question on the car history. The car has 55k , looks perfect, drives nice, and is certified. When going thru the car fax the dealer provided, I had noticed it had 3 owners already. First one for 1.4 yrs, second one for 3 months, third one for 3.7 yrs. Is this normal? Dealer wants 31900 for the car, is that price for this reasonable? Kbb puts this at a range of 27 - 29. Any opinions or things I should consider? What are the drawbacks to buying one not certified? The car does come with a 2 yr 50k warranty as well. Thanks in advance for any advice, wife is pissed I want one, I was going to consider a new Accord, but am at that point where I could afford one and who wants an Accord anyway? When considering the cost vs fun equation, and we already have a car for kids and crap as it goes, why not?
You should be pushing for closer to that 27k (or whatever kbb is currently saying). Nearly $32k sounds high for a 2008 with that mileage.

Also a 2008 Can't be currently CPO. I mean it may have at one time been a CPO car, but a 2008 is too old for Porsches CPO program.

·
Registered
23 Posts
32k is high. I paid less than that for mine from a Porsche dealership about a year ago, then with 49k miles on it. I'm thinking of selling mine, I'd sell it for 25.5-26k, will probably list at 26.5-27 for negotiating space.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I paid less than $30k for my '08 Cayman 2.7 and it had less than 27k miles on it. It was/is in great condition. Purchased it from a Benz dealer that took it in trade. The IMS issue really is applicable to pre-'06 Cayman and Boxsters. A small percentage of '08 Caymans have experienced this problem as a different IMS bearing was used after all the problems of the past and the settlement pushed Porsche to fix the problem. As for owner turnaround maybe someone purchased it then decided it really wasn't what they expected; say, with three kids that needed to get to soccer practice and traded it for a van or SUV; or, it was just too much for them to handle; or, once they had the first service done at a Porsche dealer decided it was way more than they were willing to pay. There could be lots of reasons they only held onto it for a short period of time. Make sure you look at the service records and get a PPI at a dealership or an independent recommended by a member of your local Porsche club and you should alleviate your misgivings.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks in advance for any advice, wife is pissed I want one, I was going to consider a new Accord, but am at that point where I could afford one and who wants an Accord anyway? When considering the cost vs fun equation, and we already have a car for kids and crap as it goes, why not?
If she's pissed now just wait till you start buying tires every 15,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lol! Dude! Same exact scenario with me! My wife was super pissed!! Supposed to go buy a 4 door and ended up coming home with a 2008 base cayman with all the options I wanted. We already had a 4 door for the family and I said why not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should be pushing for closer to that 27k (or whatever kbb is currently saying). Nearly $32k sounds high for a 2008 with that mileage.

Also a 2008 Can't be currently CPO. I mean it may have at one time been a CPO car, but a 2008 is too old for Porsches CPO program.
Perhaps things are different here in Canada, but I purchased a 2008 BS with a 2 year 80 000KM CPO from a Porsche dealership.
Edit: Purchase was Nov 7th 2014

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hope two of you guys enjoy eating tuna out of the can for dinner.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
^Now THAT is funny!!!

Best regards,
Croc'ed
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hpowders

·
Registered
13 Posts
I paid only paid $24k for my 2007 2.7 with 46k miles on it. It does have a little paintwork to be fair but it is nothing serious. I had a pre purchase inspection on it and it came out smelling like roses. The inspector did tell me not to worry too much about the IMS in the later model cars because Porsche did update it (also making it non updatable) but less likely to fail. I think the multiple owners may be that they buy the car expecting something else and think they can live with a 2 seater. It may be for some but not everyone. This car is my first Porsche and I love it. I will probably drive it for a couple years and trade up to something newer and definitely an S model. I will tell you that maintenance is more expensive than probably any other car I have owned (3 x Audi's, 2 x BMW's, Lexus etc) I recently did my brakes myself and parts alone were $500, the dealer wanted $1000 and would not have changed everything I did. I did replace pretty much everything except calipers. Oil changes will run you $300 at the dealer. Do yourself a favor and become a PCA member. It will get you 10% parts and labor at the dealer.

One more thing. I have the base and did not like the steering wheel. I highly recommend the steering wheel from DCT motorsports, I opted for the flat bottom (the Audi in me) and the fat sides. The leather matches perfect. I also upgraded my tail lights to LED which I got from Delrey Customs. They are quality lights and the LED's illuminate the entire light when just the parking lights are on. Lastly the Fabspeed Maxflo. It wakes up the throttle response and sounds awesome. It is only money lol....

·
Registered
282 Posts
High end cars have a lot of turn over with owners, so its' no big deal to have 3 owners history. I have a friend who turns over cars every year just because to him new is cooler than old. Anyway, with German cars, I always buy used just to avoid the 1st year depreciation loss. Nevertheless, my 2007 CS is now my forever car. I have no concerns over the IMS issue; in fact, I am more concerned over the water pump which I plan to replace this year.

Anyway, the price quote is a bit high so time for the haggle song and dance. If you do buy it have the dealer throw in a complete service to include changing all the fluids, lubricants, and water pump.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the car is not an "S" model then I would say that number is too high. Also, it depends on what options it has as well. I never use KBB, their numbers never seem in-line with market prices. I've found that NADA is a lot more accurate. Yes, the waterpumps are an issue and I just had mine replaced on my 08CS. Luckily it was under warranty but I have no problem doing the work myself in the future. As far as the IMS I really am not corcerned either. I would be more concerned about throwing a rod or some other mechnical failure. I do all my own oil changes so I get a good look at what comes out of the engine each time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts